Best surreal movies

Tools    

Has to be Midsommar for me

i think some people here just avoid responding if someone tells them, sorry ur wrong, ur movies are not surrealist, what s wrong if u take it easily and respond normally

Are those really surreal? When I think of surrealist films, I think of Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, Santa Sangre, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

City of lost children and delicatessen are more french fantastical whimsy than what i think to be surreal, but my definition of surrealism is very narrow though and comes from Painters of the 20-40s and i extend that to other mediums.

I think of the uncanny, fundamental contradictions, raw subconscious desire and fears, elegantly twisted into reality.

The term surreal was really blown up to mean anything thats just weird. I think its been that way for along time also in the art world even though it has alot of influence on art and society the surrealist movement is just seen as a footnote.

just like the subject, i will post some of my films but i have only seen un chien andalou by bunel which is a crime on my part but that movie i believe is a good representation if a bit direct.

In a lot of ways, surrealistic artists kind of gaslight their audience.
Great analogy if i would have seen your post i wouldn have posted lol, i think eraser head does do it right though.

Great analogy if i would have seen your post i wouldn have posted lol, i think eraser head does do it right though.

I'm not necessarily denying Eraserhead's surrealism. Just that I think what people point to as evidence of this is incomplete unless we take into account the films pacing, the pregnant pauses, the intrusion of the mundane. Another filmmaker doing a film about a monster baby and a woman in the radiator may think this is enough on its own. May even want to cram those details down the audiences throat. But Lynch is a wise enough filmmaker, even that early on, to understand that these moments resonate best (and most 'surreally') when they exist in a place we recognize. A place where we wait for elevators.

We all float down here....
Best? Off the top of my head I'll say Mulholland Drive.

The documentary Tickled is where the surreal and real intersect and have a lawsuit.
I love this movie. It is undeniably insane.
You must see it. It just gets weirder and weirder.

I will start with few
- The revenant
- Annihilation
- Apocalypse now
Just to know if ur trolling so that we know you are and respond the way we should, but calling the revenant a surealist film is like saying Die hard is a drama film

Let s say it again,Some of the best surrealist films:
Probably one of the best is the classic luis bunuel s :
BELLE de jour with the brilliant catherine deneuve

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
I have never really thought about trying define "surrealism" before this thread. really like the definition of having dream like qualities. maybe that can be distilled to notions of abandoning a rigid sequential narrative. The "Deformed Reality" definition seems good on the surface, but isn't any fictional film a deformed reality?

I like surrealism as having dream-like qualities the best. It is not a precise definition, but I think it is the best.

Since David Lynch is largely concerned with blurring of dream-state realities with objective reality, I think almost all of his films are surreal on some level. Even "Dune" and "Elephant Man."

Others that pop to mind: Aranofsky is not too far from Lynch: "The Fountain," "Requiem For a Dream," "Black Swan" and "Mother."

Other random thoughts: "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?," "Neighbors," "After Hours," "Repulsion," "The Lobster" and "Killing of A Sacred Dear,"

Stanley Kubric is not far behind Lynch and Aranofsky: "A Clockwork Orange," "Eyes Wide Shut," "Strangelove," and "The Shining."

I think that the films of Michelangelo Antonioni are surreal. From "L'Adventura" to "The Passenger and "Zabriskie Point," all of them have an other-wordly expression.

"What about Ridley Scott? "Blade Runner," "Legend," "Alien," "Prometheus." Is "Pulp Fiction" surreal? Are Wes Anderson's films surreal?The human associations in his stories aren't quite real, are they?

Can a film follow a typical sequential narrative and still have dream like qualities?

Just to know if ur trolling so that we know you are and respond the way we should, but calling the revenant a surealist film is like saying Die hard is a drama film
For me it is…when DiCaprio climbs into the dead horse and the way the shot is composed with music and camera movement…to me that’s surreal….maybe I am misinterpreting what it means but that movie is a unique experience for me