Tangled (2010)

→ in
Tools    

Disney's 50th animated film. Had one of the largest budgets of any animated film (260m). Originally titled Rapunzel but changed to Tangled to give equal emphasis to the male characters

Strengths include the animation, voice acting and score. It looks gorgeous both technically and aesthetically: could easily pass for a film made several years later.

It's not a particularly bold or daring movie. The plot is Disney formula, with no major twists or turns. But the character cast is standout.

Both Rapunzel and Flynn are both charming and nuanced, and the development of their relationships. The lead characters are believably human. Flynn is a thief with redeeming qualities and thankfully Rapunzel isn't a Mary Sue: she can be as forceful as needed to meet her ambitions, yet both characters have tender and sweet moments too. The chameleon and horse are distinct and memorable animal sidekicks.

It's uncharacteristic that Rapunzel adapted to being free so quickly. It's common among people imprisoned for long periods of time to get anxiety and sensory overload when returning to the real world.

The villain (old woman whose only ambition is to have eternal youth) is a played out cliche; neither her character nor her actions go beyond that one dimension. And she lacks memorable scenes aside from her final ones.

The musical aspect of the film is lacking. None of the songs are catchy or memorable lyrically. They work competently for the film, but none of these songs are hits, or the type you'd listen to outside of the film.

Despite its faults, I was truly immersed in this world to the point where I nearly forgot it was a cartoon. It's a relatively short film and quickly placed; as it was coming to an end I easily wish I could've spent a bit longer in it.

Rating: 7/10

This was a pretty good retelling of the Rapunzel legend IMO...I disagree with you about the villain though...I thought Goethe was the movie's most entertaining character, beautifully voiced by Donna Murphy.