Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Emma

INTRO: So I didn't finish the 30 days 30 reviews challenge, but I am back again to do more film reviews and take some breathing space away from reviewing TV shows.

SUMMARY: Jane Austen's beloved comedy about finding your equal and earning your happy ending, is reimagined in this. Handsome, clever, and rich, Emma Woodhouse is a restless queen bee without rivals in her sleepy little town. In this glittering satire of social class and the pain of growing up, Emma must adventure through misguided matches and romantic missteps to find the love that has been there all along.

THOUGHTS: This film is nice. It’s a film that has easy and accessible source material, but takes a much more modern and cheeky approach to it. The star of the show is Anya Taylor Joy, who is just delightfully English in this role, and is the mechanism that makes this film tick. I find her delightful and enjoyable to watch, even when her character really misbehaves throughout the story. Then there is the costumes, which are always good in a historical drama as it allows real extravagance and creativity to shine out. With that being said, the film can drift into dullness at times, which can make the watching of the film a chore at points. I think period dramas are a harder sell for me as the story needs to be of an extraordinary scale and not of something that can be average and dreary and out of touch with today’s times.

OVERALL: Emma is a charming film, though a plot that can drift. The costumes and overall setting are strong and visually appealing as well as Anya Taylor Joy's naturally gifted performance.

RATING: 72% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Utoya: July 22

INTRO: Ten years today, Norway was victim to one of the scariest and shocking terrorist attacks in its history. Utoya, commonly known as a location for a youth camp for the Norweigan Labour party, became the centre to a bloodthirsty massacre which still has Norway shaken to this day. The film Utoya: July 22, in my opinion, comes the closest to replicating that on screen.

SUMMARY: On July 22, 2011, less than two hours after detonating a deadly car-bomb, and having already killed eight people in Oslo, the remorseless Norwegian far-right terrorist, Anders Behring Breivik, boarded the ferry MS Thorbjørn in Lake Tyri. As the shocking news of the devastating Oslo explosion was starting to reach the ears of the unsuspecting teenagers of the Workers' Youth League summer camp on the remote island of Utøya, the loud, sharp, and blood-curdling sound of Anders' first gunshots could only mean one thing: death. Now, for the next long and nightmarish seventy minutes, eighteen-year-old Kaja, her younger sister, Emilie, and approximately six-hundred young participants will find themselves drawn into a violent maelstrom of destruction, as Breivik, with cold-blooded precision, injures hundreds, and kills sixty-nine boys and girls. Will the world ever forget July 22, 2011, and the atrocious Utøya massacre?

REVIEW: So this film really is horrifying. To get a good look of the terror and urgency of something that those teenagers never thought would happen. Even in the background, the distant sound of recurring gunshots is haunting, sending chills down my spine every time I hear it. We mainly follow one character, a young female whose perspective is supported throughout the film from beginning to end, showcasing her urgency, fear, horror and determination to find her sister amongst this chaos. Faces are scattered all across the film, as well as the bodies of those who are part of the tragedy littered across the island. The film’s ending punches you in the gut, and reminds you just how horrific this incident was, and how emotionally scarring it still is to many Norwegians today in 2021.

OVERALL: Utoya: July 22 is a chilling observance of one of the most terrifying events to ever occur in Norweigan history. The performances, the long shot, the heightened intensity across the film. It makes for a unique and gripping experience that the viewer will not forget in a hurry.

RATING: 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Malcolm & Marie

INTRO: John David Washington rants and raves about Hollywood whilst Zendaya just cries in the corner in her underwear. Oh, and its in black and white too.

SUMMARY: A filmmaker returns home with his girlfriend following a celebratory movie premiere as he awaits what's sure to be imminent critical and financial success. The evening suddenly takes a turn as revelations about their relationships begin to surface, testing the strength of their love.

GOOD: I really appreciated and admired the look of the film. Black and White is of course a very stylish and niche look to use for your film, and I thought it worked well with the story. It has that noir feeling, and the story helps in expressing that. The Jazz music that is scattered throughout the film is nice, and of course the performances are great. Both John David Washington & Zendaya are great, their chemistry electric and creating a performance mirrored and influenced by earlier works, most notably Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf.

BAD: I’ll be honest, the script itself while good in places, falls flat and pretentious in others. Dialogue that feels very ‘inside reference’ and nerdy which puts me off very quickly. Any criticism of critics and Hollywood in the film feels to me more of a rant from the filmmaker itself rather than something that comes naturally from the character. As a result, all of the internal Hollywood criticism doesn’t feel as unique and cutting edge as it intended to be.

OVERALL: Malcolm & Marie is an intriguing story about credit, acceptance, and industry. Strong performances by John David Washington & Zendaya are noteworthy and memorable, yet the story delves into self-indulgence and isn’t nearly as identifiable or unique from what has come before with this format. In short, looks very pretty but nothing new.

RATING: 61% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Go

INTRO: Go is Doug Liman’s premiere feature film which embodies night life culture, drugs, chaos and wholesome 90s nostalgia.

SUMMARY: Told from three perspectives, a story of a bunch of young Californians trying to get some cash, do and deal some drugs, score money and sex in Las Vegas, and generally experience the rush of life.

ITS GREAT: I think this film is an absolute gem. Original, fun, clever, and one that captures 90s nightlife very well. The multi-perspective narrative is one that I always enjoy. One where you think you know what is going on, and then a new perspective switches gear completely. I love it, and as a result the film was never boring or predictable, always keeping in suspense and excitement. Performances in this film are also very strong. Performances from Katie Holmes, Sarah Polley, Scott Wolf and Jay Mohr all make this film electric and of its time. This film is very underrated and has some great ideas and strong storytelling all across the board.

OVERALL: I love Go, and I think its one of the most underrated films I’ve ever seen. I love the multi-layered storytelling, great performances, 90s aesthetic and the feeling of a good time all throughout.

RATING: 91% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Another Round

INTRO: Mads Mikkelsen is a growing cult favourite within the world of acting, building a profile of his work around the world. Here, he gives us a performance that will forever be unique in his career.

SUMMARY: There is a theory that man is born with half a per mille too little. That alcohol in the blood opens the mind to the outside world, problems seem smaller and creativity increases. We know it well; after the first glass of wine, the conversation lifts, the possibilities open up. Martin is a high school teacher. He feels old and tired. His students and their parents want him terminated to increase their average. Encouraged by the per mille theory, Martin and his three colleagues throw themselves into an experiment to maintain a constant alcohol impact in everyday life. If Churchill won World War II in a dense fog of spirits, what could the strong drops do for them and their students? The result is positive in the beginning. Martin's class is in a different way now, and the project is being promoted to a real academic study with the collection of results. Slowly, but surely, the alcohol makes the four friends and their surroundings loosen up. The results are rising, and they really begin to feel life. As the objects go inboard, the experiment progresses for some and goes off track for others. It becomes clearer and clearer that alcohol can generate great results in world history, but that all daring can also have consequences.

STORY: This is quite an intriguing, fun yet depressing story all in one. I like the idea of these four men experimenting with alcohol and how far they can take it, and how it can affect their daily lives. As they push it further and further, the results are more erratic and the consequence clearer to see. It’s a good narrative, one with a great payoff and a final scene that is both memorable and fantastic to watch.

PERFORMANCES: I mean, Mads Mikkelsen is at his best here. A truly multi-dimensional character with depth and conflict. I found his character relatable with his conflict, responsible as a father, and sociable with his friends and class. He leads an idea due to the dullness and mundane structure of his life at the beginning of the film, and you see his transformation along with the other males of the film. The experiment invokes different reactions, which in turn invoke different performances.

OVERALL: Another Round is a wild ride of a film, creating masterful, meaningful performances with its leads. It tells a topical story in a unique way and presents itself as a surreal but serious film.

RATING: 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Closer

INTRO: An acclaimed play attempts to transition into an acclaimed film. But will it succeed?

SUMMARY: Smart-but-ineffectual journalist Dan "We use euphemisms!" cannot decide between his girlfriend, loving-but-clingy waitress Alice, or his lover cold-but-intellectual photographer Anna; herself indecisive between Dan and honest-but-thuggish "You're bloody gorgeous!" doctor Larry. The film puts the four leading characters in a box and strips them apart.

GOOD: The film utilises its four central actors very well, all of which very strong performances. I think the best for me is Natalie Portman, as she provides the most emotional out of all of them. The rest are good, just not as strong as her. It’s a well-acted film and all four actors play off one another very well overall.

BAD: Each one of these characters are very irresponsible people and makes watching the film almost frustrating throughout. Not one of these characters are mature, mindful, and sensible in how they make decisions and dig themselves in very messy holes as a result. The structure of the story also feels very much like a play. You don’t really get a sense of these characters' wider world, as the story keeps their perspective self-contained within the other three characters, making it harder for the story to really come alive and be three-dimensional. It limits the film hugely, and therefore cannot really come alive aside from the performances.

OVERALL: Closer is good but fails to be great. Aside from strong performances, the film falls flat from world-building and the story is weak overall. A rental by my standards.

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Last Night in Soho

INTRO: Edgar Wright returns with a new feature detailing the horror of 60s London, right in the heart, in Soho.

SUMMARY: In acclaimed director Edgar Wright's psychological thriller, Eloise, an aspiring fashion designer, is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer, Sandie. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something far darker.

THE GOOD: You have two very central performances here that deliver: Thomasin Mackenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy. Thomasin edges out between the two seeing as she’s the lead and gives a great performance. I love her innocence, as well as her eagerness to experiment and grow and find herself within the capital. It’s something I can relate to given how I moved to the city a few years ago for a time. It’s a tough city to live in at times. As for Anya, I think she gives a great performance of a character who is determined and focused on a simple goal of securing a singing job, only to stumble in a very murky world of sex work which defines her actions for the rest of the film. Kudos also to Matt Smith & Diana Rigg, who have smaller roles but do very well with them when on screen. Also mention should go to actors Michael Ajao, Synnove Karlsen and Kassius Nelson all do well with their respective parts too.

THE BAD: The third act of the film gets a little overwhelming for my taste, as it just throws everything at Thomasin Mackenzie’s character without a moment to react. Its fast, ferocious and struggles to keep itself together. There’s also the ending as well, or more specifically the message of the ending, which tends to frame a certain character’s actions as justified, though I hugely disagreed with and found to be a bad message to send out to viewers overall.

OVERALL: Last Night in Soho is a strong film for the festive Halloween season, and provides Edger Wright’s filmography with new flavour. As such, the cast is great, story appealing, but a third act that goes haywire slightly. Still worth your money though.

RATING: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Wonder Wheel

INTRO: Yeah yeah, we’re doing Woody Allen again. I don’t think I can just erase him from history like other people can. He’s too influential on my creative mindset, and his films are just too iconic to ignore. So, here comes another review from one of the more controversial masters of cinema.

SUMMARY: In the hustle and bustle of 1950s Coney Island, where the buzzing crowd comes and goes trudging slowly over the wooden boardwalks, silent stories of the everyday toilers who give life to the attraction unfold. Somewhere in a clam bar, there's the sad waitress Ginny, a one-time actress and now a suffering wife who's been given a second chance by the side of the well-intentioned but uncouth carousel operator, Humpty. On the other hand, there's Humpty's 26-year-old estranged daughter, Carolina, who left the familial nest and a preordained future seeking adventure as a mobster's wife; only to return home with her wings broken, begging for forgiveness. And from the lifeguard's high tower, where all is in plain sight, the young and charming lifesaver and hopeful playwright, Mickey, is the inadvertent but potent catalyst that binds everything together. Shattered dreams, reckless love and betrayal, all under the bright lights of Coney Island.

GREAT FILM: Wonder Wheel is quite heavy, more so than most Woody Allen films. The story is hard yet good. Depicting a very bleak 50s New York which goes against the norm. But really fun characters inhabit it, and make the viewing experience engaging and wholesome. Kate Winslet is the MVP of the film. Whenever she gets a migraine, I feel like getting a migraine with her, so a strong sense of her arc is felt too. Jim Belushi and Juno Temple are both also very good and very alive in their roles. Allen directs a much bleaker world of New York, one which seems tired and aging. The 50s is a tough decade to nail and I think Allen directs with a personal touch as he does with all his New York set films. It adds a bit of depth and personal touch, and therefore has a biographical slash to the story.

OVERALL: Wonder Wheel is strong, very strong in fact. Woody Allen goes personal and dramatic, telling a story about troubled love and a woman’s longing for something greater.

RATING: 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Spiderman: Far From Home

INTRO: Fresh from the whirlwind that was Avengers: Endgame, Spiderman goes for a well deserved vacation...with fresh new problems.

SUMMARY: Our friendly neighborhood Super Hero decides to join his best friends Ned, MJ, and the rest of the gang on a European vacation. However, Peter's plan to leave super heroics behind for a few weeks are quickly scrapped when he begrudgingly agrees to help Nick Fury uncover the mystery of several elemental creature attacks, creating havoc across the continent.

FUN MOVIE: Straight after Avengers: Endgame, this film feels like a film to relax to. After a whirlwind of payoff, the film feels and acts like a vacation. Nothing serious, nothing groundbreaking. Just a pleasant time to relax. You get to see great European locations such as Venice, Prague and London, all playing along with the story, and setting up fantastic sequences that make the film memorable. You have a cracking villain with Mysterio, potrayed wonderfully by Jake Gyllenhaal. A villain that manipulates with greed and selfishness at the centre. He is merciless in his goal, and Gyllenhaal captures that beautifully. And with that, the film also has great comedy, albeit with most of the side characters, whether that be the teachers or students (Ned & Betty are hilarious in this). The jokes are fast and good, making this film much more alive and fun.

OVERALL: Spiderman: Far From Home is a warm summer blast, with fun scenarios and a well crafted villain, and a cliffhanger that leaves Spiderman's future up in question. One of my personal favourite Marvel additions so far.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Avengers: Endgame

INTRO: Eleven years of building a universe that now stands king of the cinema, unrivaled in its financial dominance. Avengers Endgame culminates that story, whilst establishing new ones for the future ahead.

SUMMARY: After the devastating events of Avengers: Infinity War (2018), the universe is in ruins due to the efforts of the Mad Titan, Thanos. With the help of remaining allies, the Avengers must assemble once more in order to undo Thanos's actions and undo the chaos to the universe, no matter what consequences may be in store, and no matter who they face...

GREAT SPECTACLE: The culmination of eleven years of films and world building is here. The entire film is an emotional experience from beginning to end, juggling multiple arcs and objectives and being a grand spectacle at the same time. Its a long film but a rewarding one, going through several spectacles and moments that are jawdropping and aweinspiring. This film also concludes several characters in the story, and that is Iron Man, Captain America & Black Widow. Performances are great from the three of them, and are emotional and poignant. You are given good closure as well as an idea of who will inherit the mantles in the future. The film itself is just rich with great battles, character moments and spectacle, culminating the Infinity Saga of the MCU and setting aside a clean slate for the MCU.

OVERALL: Avengers Endgame is a fantastic thrill ride of a film, with poigant conclusions for some and new beginnings for others. I thoroughly cherished this viewing experience and will no doubt be watching this again in the near future.

RATING: 99% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Eternals

INTRO: Just when you thought the MCU couldn't surprise you further, it decides to introduced a bunch of new characters, with little to no tease and expect an audience to lap them up with ease. Well....

SUMMARY: Eternals is a misfire for the MCU and one which is costly given the amount of talent involved, throwing up in the air any future involvement these set of characters will have in the future.

MIXED BAG: Eternals is a visually enticing film. A treat for the eyes and a style of cinematography that is calm and sweet to watch. I found the mythology of the film good and intriguing to get into, with a whole host of characters to explain, question and debate the objective they have been given. With that said, Eternals sadly struggles in other aspects. The plot of the film is a dull one, with a conflicting story that makes these characters somewhat off-putting due to their previous absence within the MCU when so much was going on. As a result, the characters are therefore hard to relate to and often not always the most open and warm to side with, which drags the film down massively.

OVERALL: Eternals is a misfire for the MCU and one which is costly given the amount of talent involved, throwing up in the air any future involvement these set of characters will have in the future.

Connor Macgregor Re-Reviews Kick Ass

Unlike previous reviews, I'm just going to keep this light as I already reviewed this film before and just want to change my ranking of it.

I haven't seen this film since it first came out in 2010 and I was pleasantly surprised at how well at holds up.

For one, It still remains quite funny with strong cutthroat humour at the idea that someone could just be a superhero, and the baffling idea that its a lifestyle that can easily be managed. Instead, its terrifying, dangerous, and exhausting. Something the film does really well to potray.

The violence I remember and it still works. The performances are also very good, especially Chloe Grace Moretz who was close to the age of the character and pulls it off wonderfully. Mark Strong actually works as the villain here. No surprises obviously.

It's also to my surprise a very intelligent film. One in which the characters are thoughtful and well planned in their actions. Everything feels worked out and strategised, so you don't roll your eyes when a character makes a mistake or falls into a trap. You buy it. It's believable.

But yeah, thumbs up for this one. Still holds out and one I was very happy to return to.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Spiderman: No Way Home

INTRO: Spiderman is back again, not just to save New York, but perhaps the film industry entirely.

SUMMARY: Peter Parker's secret identity is revealed to the entire world. Desperate for help, Peter turns to Doctor Strange to make the world forget that he is Spider-Man. The spell goes horribly wrong and shatters the multiverse, bringing in monstrous villains that could destroy the world.

GREAT FILM: This Spiderman film is a gold mine of treats. For one its a story for the fans, and is both exciting and emotional. It takes Peter Parker who resides in the MCU and transitions him to the next level both as a hero and as a man. It's a brutal coming of age film which leaves him in a different position from the beginning of the film. I found Tom Holland to be fantastic in this film, as he has been in all the Spiderman films, but here he really went further with the role and did his best performance to date. Other performances that were good included Zendaya, who was a great support for Peter despite the circumstances, as well as others which I'll talk more in the spoiler section. I like the fact that we now have a new slate for Spiderman, and the next batch of films will be intriguing to watch.

SPOILERS:
WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Spoiler time. It was a lovely surprise to see Andrew Garfield & Toby Maguire reprise their roles as their respective Peter Parkers. They were great and this film gave them the space and time to round up their stories and fly as Spiderman one more time. Andrew Garfield shone better for me, but Toby was also very strong too, bringing to me warm nostalgia from my childhood when he first took the mantle as Spiderman. The villains were also great, especially William Dafoe and Jamie Foxx who both brought new angles to their villains respecively as Green Goblin and Electro. That being said, despite feeling conclusive, it does leave the idea open that these variants of Spiderman could show up again at some point, either in the MCU or back in their own franchises. Fingers crossed.

OVERALL: Spiderman No Way Home is without a doubt a fantastic Spiderman film which is a love letter to fans, and takes Spiderman in new directions. I loved the cameos, the conflicting story and the fact that it treats Spiderman like the big deal that he is.

RATING: 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Go

INTRO: Go is Doug Liman’s premiere feature film which embodies night life culture, drugs, chaos and wholesome 90s nostalgia.

SUMMARY: Told from three perspectives, a story of a bunch of young Californians trying to get some cash, do and deal some drugs, score money and sex in Las Vegas, and generally experience the rush of life.

ITS GREAT: I think this film is an absolute gem. Original, fun, clever, and one that captures 90s nightlife very well. The multi-perspective narrative is one that I always enjoy. One where you think you know what is going on, and then a new perspective switches gear completely. I love it, and as a result the film was never boring or predictable, always keeping in suspense and excitement. Performances in this film are also very strong. Performances from Katie Holmes, Sarah Polley, Scott Wolf and Jay Mohr all make this film electric and of its time. This film is very underrated and has some great ideas and strong storytelling all across the board.

OVERALL: I love Go, and I think its one of the most underrated films I’ve ever seen. I love the multi-layered storytelling, great performances, 90s aesthetic and the feeling of a good time all throughout.

You liked this movie a lot more than I did.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Shang Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings

INTRO: More MCU goodness but we now add Asian American characters into the world as we're introduced to Shang Chi.

SUMMARY: Shang-Chi must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.

REVIEW: I think this film is solid. Surprising really as I had never really gotten hyped for this entry in the MCU, and thus skipped it in cinemas, before watching it easily on Disney+. Its good and was happy to watch it. And what I got was quite a well-rounded story which highlights a lot of strong Asian talent with an emphasis on Asian mythology. You have fun fight scenes such as one on the bus and one on some scaffolding which makes use of the fun moves utilised as well as setting to make the fighting more wild. The film also establishes a new world in Shang Chi which will no doubt be revisited on more on one occasion in future films. I did however find the film very generic and thus falls into the standard formula for MCU films, one which is harder now with new characters being established as being given origin stories again and again tires out the MCU formula and makes it harder for new characters to properly establish themselves in a unique way without tiring the audience out over repetitive start ups of new superheroes.

OVERALL: Shang Chi is a solid new entry into the MCU and one which expands the MCU's diverse portfolio of characters and worlds.

RATING: 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2

INTRO: We return to the Guardians Of The Galaxy as I continue wandering the MCU, the cosmic side that is.

SUMMARY: After saving Xandar from Ronan's wrath, the Guardians are now recognized as heroes. Now the team must help their leader Star Lord (Chris Pratt) uncover the truth behind his true heritage. Along the way, old foes turn to allies and betrayal is blooming. And the Guardians find that they are up against a devastating new menace who is out to rule the galaxy.

REVIEW: The sequel for Guardians 1 sadly does not live up to its predecessor. Its weaker on its story and feels much empty and just feels more a visual fest than a fully fledged deep story. Cinematography wise, its golden. Beautiful all around. A visual feast of colours and tones. Quite possibly one of the more visually satisfying MCU films so far. The characters are also still good, more fun this time around and blend a lot better in this film as a result. But again, the story isn’t as strong in this movie. I don’t know why that is, but perhaps pacing was a factor. Just not as well paced and a middle act which really was quite dull at times.

OVERALL: Guardians 2 is a good MCU film, but it lacks being spectacular story wise, though makes up for it in visual sweetness.

RATING: 73% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Captain Marvel

INTRO: Brie Larson steps into the shoes of Captain Marvel, thus becoming the first female led superhero in the MCU.

SUMMARY: After crashing an experimental aircraft, Air Force pilot Carol Danvers is discovered by the Kree and trained as a member of the elite Starforce Military under the command of her mentor Yon-Rogg. Six years later, after escaping to Earth while under attack by the Skrulls, Danvers begins to discover there's more to her past. With help from S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury, they set out to unravel the truth.

REVIEW: I saw this in Paris and whenever I see a film in a foreign country, it feels very special and thus the viewing and my later relationship with that film becomes very special. Hence, Captain Marvel is a very special film to me. For one, its fun. Complete and utter fun. A fun story with good twists and turns, fun visuals which just light up the film wonderfully. And a good strong cast of characters that serve to make Captain Marvel stand out as a unique film in the MCU canon. I love the returns of Fury and Coulson in this film, as well as future nods with The Rambeau family too. I think this film wonderfully holds up.

OVERALL: Fun all over, Captain Marvel is a wonderful addition to the MCU and a good filler film to Avengers: Endgame also, and providing a bridge to Earthbound MCU films to the cosmic side of the MCU.

RATING: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Scream (2022)

INTRO: A new Scream movie which plays to a new generation with smarter ideas and a new legacy to draw from.

SUMMARY: Like the original movie 25 years ago, a cute teenage girl is at home alone when the phone rings. A man wants to play a game with her. With the threat of killing her best friend, Tara's forced to play along. She barely survives the ghost face masked intruder's stabbing. Her 5 year older sister, Sam(antha), who left home at 18 due to mental problems, Sam's boyfriend and Tara's high school friends visit her at the hospital. Later on in a bar, a guy provokes the friends and is later attacked outside in the parking lot by Ghostface. Sam receives a call from him at the hospital and then he unsuccessfully attacks her. She later reveals family secrets to her sister. Sam contacts one of the original victims, Dewey, for help. He warns two other original victims, Sidney Prescott and Gale Weathers, about Ghostface being back. Who is Ghostface? How many more must die?

REVIEW: I really liked this new addition to the Scream franchise. Hell, I’ve liked all of them. Not one of these films has flopped hard. This new one has a lot more fun characters, very modern and quick-tonged. The Meeks twins are great, played so well by Mason Gooding and Jasmin Savoy Brown. Jenna Ortega also is great, playing a similar role to Drew Barrymore in the first film, albeit with an added twist that sets the film off in a new direction. The film does also take some bold risks and adds a sense of danger one can argue was missing from the last few entries. It uses history quite well also, not insulting the audience’s intelligence and having fun with heritage and family too.

OVERALL: Overall, Scream is a great fresh take on the franchise, utilising legacy characters wonderfully and adding new danger into Ghostface.

RATING: 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Batman

INTRO: A new Batman film so quickly would make you think that this character has ended up being overexposed to the western audience. Yet, this new take by Matt Reeves & Robert Pattinson ends up being one of the most original and interesting depictions of the character ever done.

SUMMARY: Batman ventures into Gotham City's underworld when a sadistic killer leaves behind a trail of cryptic clues. As the evidence begins to lead closer to home and the scale of the perpetrator's plans become clear, he must forge new relationships, unmask the culprit and bring justice to the abuse of power and corruption that has long plagued the metropolis

REVIEW: I mean, for a Batman film, its worthy of the name. The mystic cinematography, the grim tone and atmosphere, the sense of dread. It absolutely nails the tone on a bullseye. Instead of full on action, the film opts to tell a mystery story, one that works within the mythos of Batman, and makes the film stand out as its own thing. Action isn’t neglected though, as there are great sequences all around, making the film a terrific thrill ride from beginning to end. You also have great performances with Robert Pattinson as Batman, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, Paul Dano as The Riddler and Colin Farrell as The Penquin. All great, all stand out, all marvellous with new dimensions to these long existing characters. If it has a flaw, then it’s too long, clocking in at round about three hours which is a tad unnecessary.

OVERALL: The Batman is a great new addition to the lore of the caped crusader, with Robert Pattinson now taking the role in his own direction, and opening up a new avenue for Batman to go whilst retaining his iconography in the process.