I need some 2000s movie recommendations that I will actually watch!

→ in
Tools    

I like both Stardust and Mystic River a lot. Good movies.

The Aviator- I've said it before and will say it again. It is Scorcese's magnum opus.

I thought that someone else recommended this and that I endorsed it as well, but I will happily take credit!

I'm glad you liked it. It's such a fun film, I find myself watching it in whole or in part quite frequently.
Well then thanks to you and whoever else recommended Stardust

I was going to watch another of your recs, but decided to go with Stardust instead, that's why I pinned it on you

Well then thanks to you and whoever else recommended Stardust

I was going to watch another of your recs, but decided to go with Stardust instead, that's why I pinned it on you
You're missing out by skipping Happy Accidents, man! It's an underseen gem of a film!

You're missing out by skipping Happy Accidents, man! It's an underseen gem of a film!
I'm sure it's a great film, but to be honest I tried watching it and shut it off after 5 minutes or so, during the get together scene with the three women discussing life, boyfriends etc. I just wasn't feeling it, seemed like a style of film making that wasn't going to be to my liking. So that's why I went with Stardust.

But I do appreciate yours and everyone's recommendations!

I'm sure it's a great film, but to be honest I tried watching it and shut it off after 5 minutes or so, during the get together scene with the three women discussing life, boyfriends etc. I just wasn't feeling it, seemed like a style of film making that wasn't going to be to my liking. So that's why I went with Stardust.

But I do appreciate yours and everyone's recommendations!
Fair enough! It's great that you gave it a try and I'm glad you liked Stardust.

Fair enough! It's great that you gave it a try and I'm glad you liked Stardust.
Ha, I don't know if I call 5 minutes a try

But of course I can't watch them all...and you and the other person who mentioned Stardust really seemed to like it so I thought, 'hey I'll go with Stardust instead'.

Well maybe someday Happy Accidents will get nominated in an HoF and I'll see it then.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Stardust (2007)
@Takoma11

A very enjoyable movie. I know I'm enjoying a movie when I don't check the remaining time and I don't get distracted. With Stardust I was interested in the story, especially the world-building right from the start.

I liked the sets and the shooting locations in England & Scotland. Michelle Pfeiffer was good as the bad witch and it was fun to see a cameo by Peter O'Toole... but it was Claire Danes who I liked the most as the fallen heavenly star.

Come to think of it, the idea of celestial stars being entities that watch humanity on the Earth below was a neat concept. I liked how Claire was a human like being on Earth, but had star qualities that set her apart. Kind of hard to explain, I'll just say when her heart was light and content she glowed...and in the case of a bad witch trying to capture her, glowing was a dangerous giveaway that she wasn't human.

Fun film!
+++

I just bought Stardust on DVD this weekend. I'm planning to watch it for the countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

MysticRiver (2003) @KeyserCorleone

I watched this a week ago and was very impressed! One of the better movies I've seen in awhile...I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to write about it. But I did post about it recently and said this:

'I think highly of Eastwood as a director, though his last film [Cry Macho] was only average at best...When I watched Mystic River, I couldn't believe Eastwood had directed it...Mystic River was so polish, so sublime, really a near perfect film. I'd rate it a
But on a personal level crime type films like that aren't my favorite, but still I was impressed by it."

It's been a while since I saw Mystic River, but I remember liking it a lot, (probably enough for it to make my list after a rewatch). I have it on DVD, and I'm planning to rewatch it before submitting my list.

Ha, I don't know if I call 5 minutes a try

But of course I can't watch them all...and you and the other person who mentioned Stardust really seemed to like it so I thought, 'hey I'll go with Stardust instead'.

Well maybe someday Happy Accidents will get nominated in an HoF and I'll see it then.
I think it's a really unique, unconventional romance, and I absolutely love the low-key sci-fi aspect of it. If you're able to make it far enough into the film where she meets the D'Onofrio character, you might get a better sense of the vibe of it. But, again, no pressure! Movies that are unique also tend to be a bit more hit or miss.

I just bought Stardust on DVD this weekend. I'm planning to watch it for the countdown.
In my opinion, owning Stardust is a quality investment. On the list of movies I've rewatched over the years, Stardust has to be in the top 10, if not the top 5. It's just gentle enough that I can watch it when I'm feeling down, but not so gentle that it's just mush.

I watched Happy Accidents last week, and I loved it. It's a strong contender for my list.
YAY!

No one ever talks about it, so I try to put it out there when I get the chance.

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) @BooBooKittyFock

This reminded me of a less zany Pirates of the Caribbean. I had fun watching it...it was entertaining and had some nice shooting locations that looked gorgeous. Not really my type of film and I don't think it deserves such a high rating at IMDB 7.7 currently, but a movie that does deliver...so I'm glad I watched it.

I forgot the opening line.
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (this one will certainly make my top 5 of the decade; it laid me out flat when I watched it)
And there I was thinking I was the only one. Everyone should see The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. I second it's recommendation.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I think you recommended that one to me a couple of months ago, when I was looking for films from Romania, but I found the 153 runtime a bit daunting at the moment. I should probably give it a shot one of these days.

I think you recommended that one to me a couple of months ago, when I was looking for films from Romania, but I found the 153 runtime a bit daunting at the moment. I should probably give it a shot one of these days.
I highly recommend it. Initially, I wasn't so excited about watching it either as it didn't seem like my thing, but I actually found it quite involving.

Quantum of solace