New 'Halloween' film back on track (with John Carpenter!)

Tools    

Lots to look forward to, not a lot of information available yet.

My favorite public quote so far by Carpenter:

Carpenter: “Michael Myers is not a character. He is a force of nature. He is not a person. He’s part supernatural, part human. He’s like the wind, an evil wind. If you start straying away from that, and you get into explaining, then you’ve lost. So hopefully we can guide it back in the original direction.”
Suggests a hearkening back to the original scope. Also, evidently they're in talks for Carpenter to score the film as well.

That whole interview is posted HERE if you want to read more.

I am very skeptical that this will turn out to be good, but prove me wrong. It sounds like the most promising thing I think the Halloween franchise has had in a very long time. Jamie Lee Curtis' return in 1998 with Halloween H20 felt like a goldmine then, but now it's not much. The film after that, Halloween: Resurrection -- I couldn't even finish it. And the Rob Zombie things were just more Sheri Moon Zombie spam.

I wanna see a film like 1981's Halloween II or the late '80s Halloween 4 and Halloween 5. Or even The Curse of Michael Myers (the producer's cut is actually pretty good). Forget trying to be like the original 1978 movie. I want to go back to bad '80s sequel Michael Myers. Where he wore the standard, clean, all white Michael Myers mask, which tended to look creepier/meaner, and he just went on a massive killing spree, offing people very violently, but not Rob Zombie violently. Where there was a family angle or a Haddonfield angle that connected to the original 1978 movie.

I want a Halloween 7 that wasn't ruined by the Scream phenomenon (which was what Halloween H20 was all about -- trying to be like Scream) and the Rob Zombie phenomenon. I also don't want it to be like most horror movies made today. I want a retro feel. I wanna pick up where we left off after Halloween 6. Not that we need to go back to the old characters again -- I'd actually hate that. I'd just like to see that Michael again. I feel like Halloweens 1-6 showed the real Michael Myers, and the films after that went to alternate universes.

I have to return some videotapes...
I think if they get a director (alla Mike Flanagan, Adam Wingard, David Robert Mitchell) and they have a good story idea, I think the film could work. They just need to respect the franchise and the character, instead of churning out some mindless film with crazy death scenes. It needs to be deeper than that and Carpenter knows that too. My question is if they are going to do a soft reboot or continue with either the Curtis's universe or the prior reboot? I think if Mitchell steps onto the project I will put much more faith, they really are moving in the right direction bringing back Carpenter.

Zombie got a lot wrong, IMO, but what he got right almost makes up for it. I'm fascinated with the psychology of masks (always have been). Zombie played well to that subtle angle which is surprising considering his trademark style is pretty much in your face. Of the two he made, I'm a much bigger fan of 2. Lots of subtlety and nuance there which he took a step further with Lords of Salem. He looks to be trying to ruin the trend with 31 though. Time will tell.

If I were at the helm in doing a reboot I'd have Michael come from a fully functional family who cannot understand the evil in their midst. Way more powerful than the garbage RZ opened with.

Anyway, anxious to see how the new film goes. Might be cool if they spun it out of Season of the Witch (Carpenter's last involvement) and continued on with MM.

Finally the master is back on his best movie directed, hope he will not give his confidence to a director who is going to do sh** (like Zombie & Resurrection) for his return...