Olivia D'Havilland (1916-2020)

Tools    

I feel saddened by this news as she was the last of the big, early movie stars left alive and one of my personal favorites.

I had made two birthday threads:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=46073
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49828

I have one of her westerns with Errol Flynn that I've been saving to rewatch, They Died With Their Boots On (1941), think I'll watch that tonight in her honor.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	u-g-P6R9NC0.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	66579  

Olivia was my #9 favorite actress on my Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses
I said this about her:

#9 Favorite 30's Actress is

Olivia de Havilland

Filmography

Wow! if I was rating these by looks, Olivia in that photo would win! But she's so much more than looks...She's a talented actress who graces the screen with her presences.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Olivia de Havilland, 104.

If you haven't seen The Snake Pit., please watch it.

Incredibly great actress. I don't care much about her endeavors outside of that, unfortunately.

Are you referring to her speaking engagements, or...?
Her involvement in promoting anti-Communist fearmongering that led to the blacklist in Hollywood and helping move Reagan's politcal career forward.

Her involvement in promoting anti-Communist fearmongering that led to the blacklist in Hollywood and helping move Reagan's politcal career forward.
Hey, I hear they're protesting in Portland doing all sorts of mischief, maybe you can go there and tell them your social views, because 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn'

hey I hear they're protesting in Portland, maybe you can go there and tell them your social views, because 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn'
The other person asked me to explain, so I did

The other person asked me to explain, so I did
Don't play innocent, you took a political slam on your first post...There was no need for you to spout off your political opinions on a tribute thread dedicated to someone who's just passed. Save it for Twitter.

I thought it had a lot to do with her being a diva and turning down too many parts. But I suppose it’s a bit of both.

Don't play innocent, you took a political slam on your first post...There was no need for you to mouth off your political opinions on a tribute thread dedicated to someone who's just passed. Save it for Twitter.
All I said was I didn't care for her actions outside of acting.

If Roman Polanski died tomorrow I'm sure there would be many posts saying similar things (and I'd be one of them).

All I said was I didn't care for her actions outside of acting.

If Roman Polanski died tomorrow I'm sure there would be many posts saying similar things (and I'd be one of them).
Totally two different things. Polanski is a criminal fugitive and convicted child rapist. So that's a weak argument.

Olivia supported anti communism at a time when communist agents were a real threat to world security. The Soviets had stolen U.S. atomic plans, which lead to them developing the atom bomb. Not to mention they enslaved countries like Poland, Yugoslavia, Hungary, East Germany and others. Those people could not choose to have democracy but had communism forced on them, is that what you're so upset about that the communist didn't get to overtake the world?

Totally two different things. Polanski is a criminal fugitive and convicted child rapist. So that's a weak argument.

Olivia supported anti communism at a time when communist agents were a real threat to world security. The Soviets had stolen U.S. atomic plans, which lead to them developing the atom bomb. Not to mention they enslaved countries like Poland, Yugoslavia, Hungary, East Germany and others. Those people could not choose to have democracy but had communism forced on them, is that what you're so upset about that the communist didn't get to overtake the world?
I don't think I'm the one who's upset here.

Don't play innocent, you took a political slam on your first post...There was no need for you to spout off your political opinions on a tribute thread dedicated to someone who's just passed. Save it for Twitter.
Amen, brother!