Best Stanley Kubrick Film

Tools    

Of these that I've seen (I've never seen 2001 or Clockwork Orange all the way through), it's hard to choose just one best. Full Metal Jacket was very good as was The Shining. But if I have to choose, I go with Dr. Strangelove.

Peter Sellers was terrific in all three of his roles. And George C. Scott was marvelous (as he was in just about everything he was in). And the film happens to contain one of my favorite lines (There's no fighting in the war room).

Sheer brilliance.

I can't deny the fact that FMJ is one of my favourite films. I love military films, and this exemplifies it, with everything from the discipline and great banter at the start of the film right through to the second half and all its action.

Did you know that Lee Ermy (the drill sergeant) was an actual drill sergeant in the US marines, and that was very close to the usual abuse that he gave his recruits (obviously it was modified to bring in Joker, Snowball, Pile, and Cowboy)? He was also in an episode of The Simpsons as an Air Force officer.

This happend to me in another post too....

I can't choose. They are all good. He is brilliant.

Didn't see it.
The Shining is one of my all-time, most-favorite movies.

ALT-S. ALT-S. I'm throwing a temper tantrum here. LOL!

i voted, then i forgot which one i voted for. it was one of the first 3.

I'd have to go with A Clockwork Orange as my favorite, but everything he did was leagues above most of his contemporaries.

No wonder he had to take a 5-10 year break between making each film. A perfectionist, through and through.

Wow....yeah....I never thought of that before.

MovieForums Extra

One of my favourites of all time is 2001: A Space Oddysey, so I'd have to go with that! The Zarathustra theme at the beginning gets me every time, and the scene with the monkey is one of the best pieces of cinematography ever!

I even got up on the first of January (this year of course) to take a series of pictures of the first sunrise, and I had that music in my head all day, it just wouldn't go away It was quite good, a bit cloudy but still 2001 material

A Clockwork Orange, without a doubt!

A Clockwork Orange. The cinematography is amazing right from the start, Stanley Kubrick's direction cannot be compared to anyone else and Malcom McDowell was perfect in the role of Alex DeLarge. All the parts of the film just came together perfectly.

This is like saying "what's your favorite sunrise?" OR "who's your favorite relative?" You can't anwser, because they're all pretty great.

Alright, enough sucking up to a dead guy, I'd say 2001. There's shots in that film that I still don't know how he did!

Semper Fooey
Dr. Strangelove

My ranking:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Barry Lyndon
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. A Clockwork Orange

6. The Shining
7. The Killing
8. Full Metal Jacket (least favourite)

And there's none of his usual Kubrick hating in that post?!?! Double good job.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."