The Mighty Celestial's Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

30. The Sixth Sense
Okay,
saying that this is M. Knight Shyamalan's best film (by far) may sound overly obvious (by far),
but,
it is (by far).

A very good from-the-beyond-yarn that starts out by depicting the debilitating effects that may result from being able to percieve ghosts. Then, almost completely, turns it around to show how this paranormal ability can be more of a help than a hindrance, if we just gave the spooky spectres a chance.
Maybe seeing dead people ain't so bad.
Though when I think about it,
if I had to deal with any kind of communication with lost spirits,
I'd rather just stick to commiserating online with all of my fellow MoFos on this site.

29. Jaws
Okay, let's be honest here....

...at some point in life,
we're ALL gonna need a bigger boat.

28. 2001: A Space Odyssey
In Stanley Kubrick's 1968 sci-fi classic, 2001, extra-terrestrial life comes in the form of heavy monolith blocks.
And after escaping a death at the hands of a crafty computer that had taken on an evil sentient intelligence,
these aliens will sweep you up & send on you on the psychodelickest trip of your life.
And all without the use of drugs.
Damn.
Where was I during the year 2001 that I missed the party?

This was the very 1st. incredibly realistic portrayal of a sci-fi story that I had ever seen. Great visuals back when this stuff was incredible difficult to create (without the help of computers). Also, a suspense thriller plotline that is masterfully & almost quietly delivered.
Plus, if you're not on high whilst viewing this film, by the time you get to the ending, you will you feel as though you are.

Definitely a movie that you wouldn't want to "just say no" to.

27. Dead Man Walking
A movie that excellently shows both sides without taking either one.
When Susan Sarandan's character exposes to Sean Penn's the real extent of his racism " ... so it's lazy people that you don't like...?"
& then when she finally has him take responsiblity for his sins as a "true son of God", are two of my favorite scenes in any movie, ever.

26. Dumb & Dumber

For me, there is no other way that I can describe this movie other than saying that it's just plain stupid, simple & funny.
Which is probably why it is not only one of my favorite movies of all time, but also, my favorite comedy ever (so far).

25. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The Terminatah is bock.
And this time, it's personal.
Or more appropriately,
this time, it's personalized.

This movie is one of those rare times where an original that was already pretty bad-ass is followed up by a sequel that is even more bad-asser.
As someone who enjoys the category of science fiction probably more than any other genre when it comes to films, I seriously think that Judgment Day, along with his efforts on Aliens, shows why there should be a law that states that James Cameron should be in charge of directing all sequels from now on.
After a going thru a summer this year that has been epitomized by listlessly plotted blockbusters such as the other movie known as T-2 (Michael Bay's), this T-2 is a reminder that even though a certain degree of suspension of belief is required from one's brain in order to accept a movie about battling robots, you do not have to completely revert to the mind level of a five-year old in order to enjoy it.
Mannn....
I wish I was made outta liquid metal.

24. Million Dollar Baby
The chemistry that results from Clint Eastwood's & Morgan Freeman's presence in this movie epitomizes the main thing I like about Million Dollar Baby. These are two seasoned actors so comfortable in their craft, that they both simply move in this film with a flowing ease of two veterans of their field who are just willing to allow the emotion of the story & the naturalness & trust of each other's acting ability to drive the momentum of this movie. And their chemistry of friendship, as cliche as it sounds, truly belies on the phrase of that "indescribable something" & yet, it's so tangible that the much younger yet equally talented Hilary Swank can't help but to follow suit in doing. It all leads to an overall performance from the trio that makes this a film whose power stems not from the boxing themes that one would usually expect from a boxing flick, but more from the emotions that weave & tie the characters together & allows the plot to unfold at it's own volition. In the end, it seems almost overkill to describe Million Dollar Baby as anything other than a boxing film that focuses on the female contingent of the sport directed by & starring Eastwood, along with Hillary Swank & Morgan Freeman.
In short, this is a film that had me at "Mo Cuishle".

23. Let The Right One In
This was my fave film of last year.

Good horror movies come so rarely into my life. The same with good vampire movies. And the same also goes for good love stories (I refrain from using the term "romance movies" since I find Hollywood's idea of romance is always so impossibly & ridiculously fairy-tale-like). This movie is 2 outta 3 (Though there is some, it's very light on the horror).
Told more in an adult manner, yet still with enough of an escapist sensibilty that is respective to the genre, this is a soft, beautiful & beguiling story (which is really saying something since I don't know what that word means) of two 12 year olds finding love for the first time thru the flaws of each of their separate (& sometimes desperate) life situations.
The lead actors for this movie portray their characters with a true down to earth awkwardness that is usually found with kids at this age, along with a longing that is both sincere & convincing.
As far as vampire love stories go, I find myself agreeing with those who compare this one with another teen-human-falls-for-teen-bloodfeeder film that was released around the same time :
the 15 year old girls can have their Twilight. I'll take LTROI.

22. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Whenever I watch this movie, I'm always reminded that, for me, this is about as good as it gets (...sorry). Randall McMurphy is a mischievious criminal who first ends up becoming a leader of squirrelly rebellion & then, eventually, a friend to Billy & the rest the cracked eggs residing in the Cuckoo's Nest.
Jack's performance in this movie is not of a self-centered man of a salty background who becomes overly or angelically transformed, but as someone steeped in his own irresponsibility, with a hard to reach ability to care that is gradually bought up to the surface by the only type of people who could cause such a subtle & internal catalyst: a group of guys who are crazier than he is.

21. Kill Bill

Only two words can be used to describe this movie: Bad @ss.
Not only is this Quentin's homage to martial arts flix, but it also includes homage's to anime & those funky, grainy 70's Bruce Lee's wannabe's that made us laugh with their unsynchronized voice-overs, jagged camera movements & b-level musical sound effects. And yet, he was able to combine all this campy characteristics in a manner that was just plain...
well....
... bad-@ss.

BTW,
this entry is for both volumes I & II, since I am one of those who categorize both volumes as one movie.
(which it is, y'know.... )

20. Twelve Angry Men
12 Angry Men is such a good courtroom drama, that for me, it simply blows the majority of every other film in this genre out of the water (okay, technically this isn't really a "courtroom" drama because the entire film happens in the jury-room. But let's face it, the plot's purpose is one that leads into the most important part of the courtroom process, the verdict).
The combination of a tight script with a solid ensemble cast (oh, & lets not forget a big screen directoral debut for Sidney Lumet) make for a tense, compelling movie that even though it keeps 99% it's entire length within just one room, a viewer can't help but to be spellbound.

19. The Incredibles
At the time of this post, this is my favorite computer-animated feature of all time.

One of the best voice castings for the lead roles I've seen (or is it heard?) & it has a great story that is full of charm, wit & family chemistry. I always thought that Hollywood never seem to be able to put out 100% in any feature dealing with superheroes, but they really did with this one. The effects are incredibly cool, the over-all visuals are stunning & the characters are all drawn with an equally high level of quality & dynamicism (.... is that really a word?). Added with the "Jack Jack Attack" short story available on the DVD, & I know that it will probably be a long time before the family "I's" get dethroned from the #1 spot on my list of fave computer animation movies ever.

18. The Joy Luck Club

The year that this film was released, I had a girlfriend who liked to go out with me, but only when she planned it & was in control of the date. On one week-end night, I was supposed to go see Joy Luck Club with her, but since it was at my suggestion, she, as always, phoned me to tell that she felt like maybe she was (conveniently) coming down with something. Now don't get me wrong, she wanted us to see this film, just not at my suggestion (I'll skip any psycho-analyzations as to why she was always like this).
Well I had finally had it, so I called her bluff, & told her that if there was a chance she'd get sick or somethin', we should just call the whole night off.
Before she could respond, I hung up the phone & then went to go see this movie by myself, more to piss her off than anything else.
By the time this stunningly moving, mother-daughter generation-crossing epic-fare was over, my hairy pimp-ass found it quite difficult to refrain from repeatingly dabbing at that "something in my eye" that seemed annoyingly persistent during the final two sob-strewn scenes. Because of my gf, there I was sitting alone in a theatre, effeminately misty-eyed over a godd@mn chick-flick.
Right there & then, I knew that my relationship with my then-girlfriend was over.
Cuz no one makes me cry my own tears.
No one.

17. The Bridges Of Madison County
... and speaking of quality chick-flicks....

A truly romantic story of how the escapist fantasy high/feeling that initially results with falling in love must eventually be realistically dealt with, as the conditions & responsibilities of one's current situation come quickly creeping back in. This movie always reminds of something I heard once: that couples pairing up for the sake of true love is still a relatively young concept in the context of human history. That we as both a society & a species over-all, have not evolved enough yet to be able to deal & accept each other in a manner that would be considered as total unconditonal love (which is the only real love). And it is because of this that the world population has yet been unable to formulate an effective means of discussion that would truly begin a process of unity between it's racial, social & in this case, gender factions. Maybe, like this film depicts, this is why so many people make decisions more for the sake of a security based on social & financial reasons than what is right for us on an emotional level. And just as they impeded on Robert Kincaid's (Eastwood) & Francesca Johnson's (Streep), these decisions may end up impeding on our ability to follow our hearts & therefore sway us, individually and socially, from a path that would lead to true love before it's too late.

16. Spider-Man 2

In this one, Peter Parker roughs thru his dilemas with the same down-to-earth fustrations as in the comicbooks, his relationship with Mary Jane convincingly reaches it's next level, & Doc Ock is portrayed much better as a villian than he ever was on the printed age.
As a hardcore nerd of this genre, I was pretty satisfied at Marvel's initial effort at trying to do what Burton did with the Batman; introduce the webhead as a serious legitimate property for film.
The most I could've hoped for this sequel was that it be at least half as good as it's predessor.
Instead, Spidey-2 turned out to become one of my favorite movie adaptations of a comicbook superhero ever.
Which I guess I should've anticipated since before I even entered the theatre, I noticed that my spider-senses didn't go off, all atingling an' sh*t.

15. Unforgiven
"That's right. I'm Will Munny and I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill......"

He was once a real tough hombre who was good with a gun & never hesitated to use it.
But now, after so many years of trying to build a "normal life" away from that of a gunslinger, Will Munny comes to realize that when times get hard, old habits in old people die hard.
The manner in which the icon of the ol' western gunslinger is portrayed here,
as a man with a mysterious past which he would preferred forgotten, yet soon ultimately, comes to rely on for the survival of the redemptive life he has built, shows how this film could've also been called The Final Chapter Of The Man With No Name, But Now We've Given Him A Name, Punk.

14. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

An extra-terrestial becomes trapped on our planet & befriends an Earthling boy who shares it's love for Reese's Pieces. From there, these two beings "from different worlds" (one of the rare times that this phrase is meant literally), begin to share each other's experiences in a bond that can only result from attitude unconditional acceptance.
A moving picture which "teaches" that when it comes to a deep longing for love in the form of kindness & friendship, we humans are not alone.
And all we have to do to get it, even on a universally galactic level, is to just simply "be.... good".

This movie has gotten such a stigma attached to it, that I easily forget how much I enjoy watching it. After several years of this movie collecting dust on my video collection, I watched it with my 6 yr. old niece a couple of months ago, & I'll be honest with you: I don't know which one of us was left sitting there with more childlike awe & wonder on our faces.
Her, b'cuz as a child, she thought that E.T., was one amazing tale.
Or me, b'cuz as an adult, I thought that Elliot's mom was one amazing tail.

13. The Exorcist

First of all, "scary" movies don't scare me all that easily. A few did when I was a kid, but not anymore now as an adult. Therefore I rarely watch "scary" movies with the idea that I'm going to get frightened in any way. These days, I just judge 'em based more on the quality of entertainment that I get from the story, art direction, acting, blah blah blah....
That said,
this is film that tried to "realisticly" (for it's time) entertain the idea of possession not just by a demon, but by the Devil himself (I know that in the book version, it wasn't Satan himself, but, at the young age when I first saw the Exorcist film, the line "she think's she's the Devil himself" had me convinced that it was truly the Prince of Lies who was responsible for this whole vomit-inducing, head-twisting debacle).
Boy, when I think of the time that this movie was first released & watching it as a kid, I know now why there hasn't been a horror movie since, that has been able to induce within the fright that the intention of such films. This one got it all out of my system in one shot (my mentality is probably still scarred from this flick in a manner that I, even as an adult, have yet to realize). From here on end, all other horror flix are just a step down for my traumatized pimp-@ss.
Even before I saw the movie, I remember catching a preview of this on T.V., as it depicted the scene of when the young girl inflicted with the soul-violating "ailment" was struggling on her bed, cryin for help as it violently shook on it's "own" volition.
For the next couple of nights, at bedtime, more than at any other point in my life, I was scared as all hell to go upstairs to my f#ckin' bedroom.

That f#ckin' movie.......

12. The Godfather Part ll

After lightning struck once with the first Godfather, it was almost impossibe to believe that it could strike twice in the same series, especially with the absence of Marlon Brando, James Caan & Abe Vigoda (oh c'mon! Y'know his presence added a certain dimension to the whole of the movie.....).
Yet strike it did.
And with even more intensity than could be expected.

Francis Ford Coppola continues the saga of la familia Corleone. And even though this one lacks the presence of the trio of fine actors I mentioned above, those empty spaces are superbly filled up by the strength Al Pacino's complete grasp of the lead character,
along with an interjecting prologue story starring a Sicilian speaking Robert Deniro.

I know that the rest of the planet says that this one is the superior film, but I myself like the first one better. Now don't get me wrong, G-2 is practically a perfect movie. However IMO, G-1 is just a bit more perfect. That being said, if only all sequels could match the quality ratio that this one did with its predecessor, then I bet that this planet would a lot better place. More than we could probably imagine. Like there probably wouldn't be any more wars or bad stuff in the world.
Like,
ever.
Yep. That's the power of a good sequel.

11. Pulp Fiction

No matter how many times I view it, no matter what time of the day it is,
I never get tired of watching this movie.
Because Pulp Fiction is like pie.
And any time is a good time for pie.

10. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Sure, there are sci-fi films better written, or with, now much more grander & updated special effects. But other than Star Trek, none have the expansive imagination or have been able to touch the heart of an entire generation of nerds, particularly with such a long lasting impact, as the original Star Wars trilogy.
And while I know that Star Trek has affected more numbers of sci-fi geeks, but, for me, as "big" as their stories & concepts were, they never seemed to go all out with their depictions of aliens races as much as Wars. And as integalactic as they tried to make their stories, I never felt that they were as epic.

For the movie of Empire itself, again, what can I say that hasn't already been said?
I agree with the rest of the world that this is the pinnacle of the entire Star Wars franchise, with it's darker tone & cliff-hanger ending within it's still fairytale-like structure. The saga of the intergalactic war between the Empire & the Jedi-led Rebellion hits it stride as Luke Skywalker, Hans Solo, Princess Leia & the rest of the crew find themselves pursued & cornered by Darth Vader & the forces of the Dark Side.

The Empire Strikes Back came out at a time back when movies would stay in wide release, not for weeks at a time, but for months, and a few of 'em, like this one, for almost a full year.
From my own point of view, I think that, on the majority, audiences today have been so desensitized from so-so blockbusters being released every other week-end or so, that they will never get to fully understand or experience the feeling a big movie-event like Star Wars. The year of Empire was one of my fave summers ever as a kid. It was really cool knowing that I could hop on the city bus at any point during the season & go watch TESB. And every time that I did, the other audience members were just as excited to be seeing this film at the end of the summer as they were at the beginning. Every year that one of the 3 original films was released, you could feel the power of the "Force" within the air, and not just until the next "big" movie came out. You could actually feel it in the air for almost the entire year long. And then some.

9. Gandhi

The British Empire, humbled via one man & the power of peaceful resistance.
Nuff said.

8. House of Flying Daggers

Growing up, it always frustrated me whenever the majority of big budget action flicks or martial arts movies of the time often seemed to sacrifice on story to make room for the expansive bangs & the expensive effects. It was generally said, that in these types of movies, you couldn't really have both, particularly, at a consistent high level. And I was one those kids who always asked "Why not?"
And then came the House Of Flying Daggers. And with it's beautiful story of love & intrigue, combined with lavish costumes, solid performances & unique individually themed action sequences, this film of the burgeoning genre known as wuxia, seemed to asked that very same question.

7. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

George Lucas.
Steven Spielberg.
Harrison Ford.
A trio of names that entered the lexicon of sci-fi cinema with their earlier star-faring efforts.
Now, for this film, all three team up for the first time ever, but instead of a tale that took place a long time ago, in a distant galaxy far far away, this time it's not that long ago, & much more down to Earth. This modern take on the "old serials" follows the adventuress of Indiana Jones, an archeologist/adventurer/university professor/whip-meister, who finds himself in a race against time, for the Ark Of The Covenant, an ancient artifact which according to legend, can summon the power of God Himself.
Thus begins a world-hopping journey that includes cadres of Nazis, snake filled pharoah tombs, Cairo scimitar-wielding assasins & maybe even a bad date or two. In other words:
Best.
Action.
Adventure.
Movie.
Ever.

These days no matter how much I try to assimilate with all the other adults my age, most of whom have had their childhood spirits crushed a long time ago, Raiders is a reminder to me of what it was like to watch a movie with childlike awe. This is a film with alot affection for me, that never fails to bring a smile to my now grown-up hairy pimp-ass.
This early blockbuster not only shaped the way I enjoy watching movies, but also, it contributes to the foundation of why going to the theatre & having the experience of being swept away by what is playing on the big silver screen has become one the greatest joys in my life.

6. Good Will Hunting

Wait, what's this? The usually overblown Mork wins an Oscar for his portrayal of a down to Earth therapist from South Boston & with a sympathetic ear?
Well, how do you like them apples?

On the other end of the psychiatrist's chair is Will Hunting, a "wicked smaht" young Southie who must come to terms with his past, his brawling behavior, his therapist, his extra-ordinary talent & his tendency to continually talk himself away from responsibility.
And in the process, finds that sometimes, the best way to heal old wounds,
is simply, to go see about a girl.
This was one of those films that really surprised me when I initially watched it,
not just cuz it turned out to be my favorite movie of that year, but also one of my favorite top ten films ever.
And if any of you out there reading this can't seem to come eye to eye with my over-all assessment of the high quality of this story,
fret not.
It's not your fault.

5. Goodfellas
"You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, 'You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us. You understand?' We were goodfellas. Wiseguys."

When it comes to gangster movies, you just can't beat this one for charismatic energy. Goodfellas is my favorite Martin Scorcese film, for several reasons, but one of the main ones being the manner in which he pays close attention to the minute details that the members of a 60's-70's mafia family engage in for the sake of maintaining the lifestyle that they have so become accustomed to. Also, the way that the accomplished director progresses the story as to show how that type of self-contained lifestyle can only eventually crumble as the "normal" world outside of the Cosa Nostra continually changes & evolves.
And in the end, no matter how much of a goodfella you may be, you will still end up either in prison, getting whacked, or the worst of 'em all, living the rest of your life like a schnook.

4. Aliens

In this sequel to the non-plural installment of the series, Ripley, believe it or not, is back. And this time, she arms herself with some big guns & with an even bigger attitude of instead of squaring off against just one xenomorph, she's taking on a whole hive full of them. And their momma too.
This movie has everything that I look forward to in a sci-fi adventure. Suspenseful action, a solid story, a group of distinct characters (with great chemistry), great visuals, kick-@ss aliens, a turning plot-twist (we all thought for sure, that Bishop couldn't be trusted), & of course, a catch-phrase that made the entire theatre that I saw this movie in to roar ("Get away from her, you b#tch!").

Mannnn....
I wish I had acid for blood.

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

My favorite Sci-fi film of all time.
For me, this movie represented the most realistic handling of a story of aliens up to that point in time, (inspiring films like Contact & Signs, both which tried admirably to emulate the "validity" of Encounters). So much so that, at the time, it made it almost believable for me that the idea of extra-terrestrials could be a reality. Also, it was done with such a sense of awe-inspiring hope & beauty, that it almost makes me wish now that they did indeed exist (& maybe aliens do, but that's an entirely different website, altogether).

In this this Speilberg classic, the otherworlders have made contact.
And at first, that makes us humans afraid.
But when we finally come face to face with 'em, we realize that the fear we felt was based more on own insecurites than it was on these bug-eyed long-fingered lil' grey angels from space (though, you have to admit, the fact that they have a knack of kidnapping a few of our jet-fighters, not to mention a kid or two, & then instill mental images of their landing site in own minds, urging us to ruin a plateful of perfectly good mash potatoes, doesn't help much to quell our apprehension of the little buggers).
To this day, even with jaded eyes overwhelmed with modern CGI gimmicktry , the special effects in Close Encounters, combined with their elegant integration to the story's premise,
this film still leaves me with a sense of awe after each viewing.
The kind of awe that I used to feel as kid whenever I would look up all the stars in the sky on clear summer night, & wonder at all of the possibilities that must've been up there.
Mannn....
I wish a UFO would come down & fly me away into the limitless potential of space.

(Sans anal-probes, of course.)

2. Superman

Kal-El is the last survivor of Krypton, a distant planet that was destroyed thru ecological disaster.
Here are Earth, our yellow sun provides him with the power of a god.
Under the name Superman, he has the ability be fly faster than a speeding bullet, be more powerful than a locomotive & to leap over tall buildings with a single bound (his flying ability probably helps him with that). Not to mention x-ray and heat vision, withstand extreme temperatures, hurricane force breath & the unique ability to wear a wardrobe ensemble consisting of a cape, boots and colorful underwear worn over equally colorful tights.
And what does Superman do with all this power that would allow him to squash us mere mortals with not so much as a mere thought?
He uses it to protect us from all those who would mean us fair citizens harm through the violation of truth, justice and the American way.
Because even within an alien sentient being, no matter how distant his origins, or how impervious he may be to gunfire, there's always a chance to find the heart of a hero.
And when it comes to the Man Of Steel,
that's just how he rolls.

Yep. The fact that this is #2 on my favorite movies ever is evidence the huge comicbook nerd that I am. And since admitting that usually doesn't garner much respect, I only expect the best when a project interprets my favorite medium up on the big screen. We comicbook fans don't need any more ammunition to makes us seem any more goofy that we already are. We can do that all by ourselves.
ALL by ourselves.
And no matter what anyone says, Kal-El is the original gangsta of superheroes. So it is only fitting that the last son of Krypton's big-budget movie debut should turn out to be the one that all other comic-book based superhero movies must be measured by. And while I know that this film does have it's dated flaws, it was, just like the character whom it portrayed, the one that started on how epic the idea of a superhero could truly be.

1. The Godfather

The Godfather series was one that came into my life later than to most people. For the most part of my young life, I had heard what a classic this was, but it took long time til I got around to actually watching it. And when I finally did, a part of me kinda didn't want to like this movie as much as I ended up doing. Because, when it comes to movies, I wanted my number one choice to be unique. To have my opinion veer away from that which the mainstream tends to think. However, I found that when it came to the Godfather,
I was made an offer that my tastes in cinematic entertainment simply could not refuse (and before anyone decides to judge that comment as cliche, please see reason # 4 on the list below).
Now I could go on & on with why I agree with so many people of why this is such a great movie, but I'm sure that anyone reading this who doesn't know much about this staple of the mobster genre is a rarity.
So instead, I'll end this top 100 list by doing a top 10 list.....

Top 10 reasons why this Mighty Celestial thinks that The Godfather is such a great film:

10. The late great John Cazale.
An actor who in his short film career, never starred in any movie rated less than an A+.

9. Marlon Brando is back with a performance uniquely his own. Reportedly, at the time, his career was seriously on the wane. But then Fate steps in & hands him a role of which would become one of the most iconic in film history.

8. James Caan.
IMO, his best performance ever & the best character in the movie.

7. All the "oranges=death/violent act" scenes.
Many were impressed the way directors like M. Knight Shamalamadindong with the color red or Quentin Tarantino with scenes of John Travolta in the toilet, used tools of clues for the audience, to gve 'em hints on what's coming up in future scenes. But Coppola had already taken this style of storytelling & showed them how it is done in this series.

6. Apollonia!

5. Vito Corleone's "...And that I do not forgive" speech during the meeting of the criminal masterminds.
I always thought that people who memorized large chunks of speeches in movies as a way of entertaining & impressing others were nerds. Then one time, on a date, I found myself actually reciting this entire speech to the young lady whom I was with. And I didn't even realize that my mind had subconsciously memorized it. It's amazing the things one can find out about one's self when they're trying to get into a girl's pants.

4. Lines like "Sleeping with the fishes" or " Time to take out the mattresses", phrases that have since become part of the lexicon of popular culture.

3. Sonny's death scene.
Considered as needlessly ultra-violent at the time, but for me, impactfully powerful when such a character seemed to take on such a role of almost indestructibility.

2. The theme song.
One of those rare times when the music is so tied with the film, that whenever I hear it, I instantly get in the mood to watch the entire trilogy all over again (yes, even the third installment. Which, even though I don't find matching in quality with its predessors, I still tend to disagree with the public opinion on this. IMO the Godfather: Part Three is a quality film. B#tchez.).

1. Francis Ford Coppola's masterful use of foreshadowing.
Example:When Luca Brasi (the guy who ends up sleeping with the fishes) goes to make a deal with the rival crime-family, he walks thru a glass door that leads to the bar where his fate will become sealed. As the door closes, the scene is shot looking at Luca from behind, setting up the shot to so that you will notice the fish designs that have been engraved into the glass & it will visually give the impression that the fish are surrounding Luca's body.
Awesome.
Simply awesome.

Cool list Mighty, thanks for sharing. Love what you did with the pictures for Pulp Fiction.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Awesome list and representation of said list, MC. I especially enjoyed reading your entry about The Godfather; that's a really interesting bit, regarding #10 -- I had never noticed that before, and now I'll be looking for it next time I watch the movie. Really good stuff.

One thing: since Superman is your all-time second favorite movie, you should probably know that his Kryptonian name is Kal-El, not "Ka-El" as you said more than once in your entry.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Here are some movies that slipped my mind & are too good to list simply as runners up. They really should've been included somewhere within this top 100:

Planes, Trains & Automobiles
For me, this is John Candy's best movie role (& yeah, that includes Uncle Buck). He does an excellent job of portraying a pain in the ass who can touch a person's last nerve & yet in the end, have just enough pull at their heartstrings to make him endurable. Plus, his comedic chemistry here with Steve Martin is impeccible.
For me, this is the only holiday movie that I consider as a true Thanksgiving movie. Therefore, in addition to the football game,
I consider Planes, Trains & Automobiles as a must see on my television set every year on that final Thursday of November.

The African Queen
Humphrey Bogart & Katherine Hepburn in a "gritty" riverboat "journey movie" set along an East African river during WW I, & portraying two individuals, each with a mindset on a completely different side of the spectrum.
However, after confronting a series of obstacles during their quest, they begin the process of developing a relationship, & soon, the old romance adage of opposites attract starts to take affect as two people from two different worlds end up coming together, first for a common cause, & then for each other.

The Trip to Bountiful
One of those movies whose title does such a good job as the play on words it was meant to be, to give an indication of what the heart of it's subject matter really is.
Disguised as a film about traveling through trains & buses,
this is actually a great introspection into the life of someone who's been on the journey of life & & finds herself wishing that she could do it all again, but this time, behind the wheel of her own vehicle.

The Longest Day
Featuring an all-star-cast-of-it's-time-line-up that makes up a really long list of actors that star in this really long movie about a really long day near the end of a really long war.

The Longest Day is a prime example of the high quality of films that were at the forefront of the unglorified depictions of war that were making their way onto the big screen during the era of 60's cinema.

Mean Streets
Even though he filmed two other movies before this one, this is practically Martin Scorcese's cinematic debut to the general public at large. At least, it's the first one that really started to get him noticed.
And appropriately enough, it's plot centers on the lower ranks of the mafia heirarchy. A ladder that his stories will continually climb as his career grows.
Mean Streets is also where Scorcese directs Robert Deniro & Harvey Keitel for the first time.
Yep, this is where it all started.
And mob flicks, not to mention American cinema, will never be the same.

Amazing list, I really enjoyed it. Espically the inclusion of The Verdict. The scene where he's taking pictures of the women in a coma that he is then going to be defending. That to me has to be up there with one of the most powerful scene and pieces of acting I have seen. Just wondering if you have seen the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II if not I really recommended it.

Very, very nice list. Looks like it was a lot of work.

I have seen MOST of those on the list but anything I haven't seen I will definitely check out soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Amazing job putting together this list.

It shows that you have a love and passion for the films you've listed.

Suspect's Reviews

Great list! You have several that are also my favorites... Not sure how I overlooked adding you earlier, but I've added you to the MoFo Members Top 100 Lists now... Sorry about that...

If anyone else has a list that has not been included on the MoFo list, please let me know...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Here are some more movies that have since come to mind & should've also made the list.
Maybe I should extend my list to 150 (Is that allowed? Or is that considered offensive to extend one's list past 100? Anyways.....).

In America
Is it possible to watch a tale of a family that struggles to make their dreams come true without it seeming too corny? Or to watch 'em suffer personal traumas that bind 'em with friends from completely different worlds that doesn't come off as formulaic? Or is it possible to watch a film where they try to come to terms with life's hard curveballs in a manner that will make you laugh & cry but without having to worry about embarrassingly getting a face bloated with the snotty tears of over-sentimentality?
In a word,
yes.
But only In America.

Kick Ass
Kick Ass is a just a "normal" kid who decides to fight crime with no superpowers or experience,
Red Mist follows suit using dad's money & the Mistmobile,
Big Daddy shows everybody how it's done,
& Hit Girl....well, she practically steals the whole show.
A foul-mouthed fun-filled over the top action flick that's probably not for the faint-hearted.

Before Sunset
The nine year follow-up to the masterfully written Before Sunrise.
A love story that indulges in the idea of the kinds of bonds that can form if two people actually tried to communicate in a manner mired in bared-boned honesty (to which, I must confess, the "come-down-to-reality" part of my male brain wants to smirkly say "yeah....rrriight...") & with an intention of true understanding.
The two characters in Sunset come off just impeccably convincing as two people who truly have gone on from their 1st. meeting, but never let go of the genuineness of that first shared emotionally intimate experience.
Simply great acting, a great script, and a great sequel with a great ending.

Heat

Al Pacino having a cup of coffee with Robert DeNiro. Nuff said.

Reservoir Dogs
A mexican stand-off. Pop culture laden discussions. Casual cursing with machine gun rapidity. A mixed bag collection of songs that could only be found on a cassette that was taped by some nerd boy who collects comicbooks, works in an indie video or record store & thinks that guns are bad-ass.
All the elements that would qualify a film as being described as "Tarantinoesque".
And this is where it all started.

To be honest, how the heck I missed including Rez-Dogs on my original list, I don't know.
I honestly just don't know.