3 One flew over the Cuckoo's nest
4 Deer Hunter
5 The Exorcist
6 Taxi Driver
7 Apocalypse Now
8 Life of Brian
9 Papillon
10 Chinatown

such a great decade that i have to leave out, midnight express, blazing saddles, Network, The Sting, star wars and annie hall.

The most loathsome of all goblins
1) Barry Lyndon (1975)
2) Apocalypse Now (1979)
3) Alien (1979)
4) The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)
5) Halloween (1978)
6) The Godfather Part II (1974)
7) Chinatown (1974)
8) Manhattan (1979)
9) Patton (1970)
10) Young Frankenstein (1974)

No order:

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
Chinatown
Badlands
A Clockwork Orange
Jaws
A Fistful of Dynamite (Duck, You Sucker!)
Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

in no particular order:

The Godfather,One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest,Apocalypse Now,The Deer Hunter,A Clockwork Orange,Dog Day Afternoon,Aguirre,Johnny Got His Gun,Stalker,Taxi Driver

Alright, continuing my trip through the decades...

10. Badlands- It doesn't have the majestic grandeur of Malick's later films, but it's a fascinating portrait of couple on the run from the law. Sort of the less-romanticized version of Bonnie and Clyde.
9. Monty Python and the Holy Grail- Not exactly a cohesive film but more a series of sketches, clearly, but it's so funny that it doesn't need much continuity.
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- The casting for this film is pretty amazing, from the contrast between Jack Nicholsen's wild-man and Nurse Ratched's stern calmness, to Chief, Danny DeVito, and all of the other patients.
7. Manhattan- I hope this isn't too much of a spoiler (in any case, SPOILER ALERT), but it's refreshing to see Woody Allen, instead of whining about losing a girl, instead take action and go for it. After the relative stationary feel of the film, seeing him run through the streets really means something.
6. Alien- I'm kind of focusing on specific elements of each film, I'm noticing, so the thing that really stood out to me on Alien was the production design. That ship was just so different from the sterility of 2001 or even Star Wars; this was grimy, dirty, dark, and claustrophobic. It created a perfect atmosphere.
5. Picnic at Hanging Rock- Speaking of atmosphere! It's an impressive feat to create such a creepy, sexually charged, and unsettling feeling from a seemingly innocuous trip into the country. Tough to get out of your head after watching it.
4. Star Wars- One of the movies I've seen most often, thanks to a wasted childhood collecting Star Wars cards and deciding who is the worst actor in the film (There are so many bad ones in the run on the Death Star that they make Mark Hamill look like Marlon Brando).
3. Chinatown- One of my favorite screenplays. There is no wasted scene or dialogue, which just ramps up the pace and the tension until the killer ending.
2. Annie Hall- At it's heart, it's one of the best deconstructions of a relationship on film that I can think of (a definite precursor to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, in the tricks it uses to get deeper into the inner thoughts of the characters).
1. The Godfather- You can throw Part II in here as well, if you want, but Part I is the one that I love. Too many iconic scenes to count, and everything, from music to acting to writing, comes together perfectly.

1 - Stalker, Tarkovsky

2 - Apocalypse Now, Coppola

3 - The Mirror, Tarkovsky

4 - Barry Lyndon, Kubrick

5 - Star Wars, Lucas

6 - Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Herzog

7 - Solaris, Tarkovsky

8 - A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick

9 - Taxi Driver, Scorcese

10 - The Godfather, Coppola

Tarkovsky was on fire that decade, while Coppola and Kubrick score two films each.

Tarkovsky was on fire that decade, while Coppola and Kubrick score two films each.
You picked some really visually stunning films there. I haven't seen anything by Tarkovsky yet, but just looking at those stills makes me really excited about it!

Guaporense, I just want to say I've seen a few of your posts now and I love your taste in films, your lists are really similar to mine except I'm yet to see a single Tarkovsky film, definitely one of my top priorities for 2013.

You picked some really visually stunning films there. I haven't seen anything by Tarkovsky yet, but just looking at those stills makes me really excited about it!
I like films that are visually stunning. Anyway, the whole advantage of film over books is the audio-visual experience, so in my mind a great film usually takes advantage of the medium besides telling a story.

And Tarkovsky films are driven almost purely by images and sounds. They are pure feeling and represent film as the most serious art. Though they are not very entertaining and easy to watch: don't pop up Andrei Rublev (which I consider Tarkovsky's hardest) after working 12 hours in a day.

I consider Andrei Rublev, Solaris, The Mirror and Stalker as my top 4 favorite Tarkovsky films and all are among the most powerful experiences I ever had watching audio-visual art.

Godfather
Godfather ll
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Deer Hunter
Jaws
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rocky
Rocky ll
Logan's Run

Taxi Driver
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Chinatown
Nashville
Cries and Whispers
A Woman Under the Influence
A Clockwork Orange
Jaws

Probably my favorite decade.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Godfather
Exorcist
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Chinatown
Deer Hunter
Papillon
Rocky
Brutti sporchi e cattivi

My Faves:

10. Rocky (1976)
As a kid, this was probably the 1st movie I ever watched that literally hand me jumping up & down at the end.
It just seemed to be able to pull all the right heart-strings for me. To this day I still feel a slight jitter in my chest whenever I watch this flick.
Either that, or maybe I've developed a life-long heart murmur.
value

9. Apocalypse Now (1979)
For me, one of those rare films that even though you're not exactly sure what the point of this movie was, what you do know is that whatever it was, it was pretty damn epic & pretty damn cool.

8. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
A colorfully crafted art-movie that doesn't bat a single lashed eye towards subjects like ultra-violence & the old in-&-out.

7. Jaws (1975)
Let's be honest here....
at some point in life,
we're ALL gonna need a bigger boat.

6. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Definitely my favorite Jack Nick flick. Whenever I watch this movie, I'm always reminded that, for me, this is about as good as it gets (...sorry).

5. The Godfather Part II (1974)
Francis Ford Coppola continues the saga of la famiglia Corleone, along with an interjecting prologue story starring a Sicilian speaking Robert Deniro.

4. The Exorcist (1973)
Boy, when I think of the time that this movie was first released & watching it as a kid, I know now why there hasn't been a movie since that has been able to scare me. This one got it all out of my system all in one shot.

3. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)
Mannnn....
Sometimes, I wish a UFO would come down & fly my fat, hairy, sloth-ridden pimp-ass away into the limitless potential of outer space.

2. Superman: The Movie (1978)
The original gangsta of superheroes.
So it is only fitting that the last son of Krypton's big-budget movie debut should turn out to be the one that all other comic-book based superhero movies must be measured by. And while I know that this movie does have it's dated flaws, it was, just like the character whom it portrayed, the one that started on how epic the idea of a superhero movie could truly be.

1. The Godfather (1972)
On a grand scale, this is considered one the greatest movies of all time.
On a smaller scale, it is simply, not just my favorite movie of the 70's, but also, my favorite movie of all time.

10) Annie Hall- One of the few romantic comedies I enjoy, and I think the only Wood Allen movie I like.

9) The Sting- Love Paul Newman, love the twist, only visited this film once but always point to it as the best caper ever.

8)Dog Day Afternoon- Has anyone ever had a better decade for an actor than Pacino in the 70's. The best bank caper ever. Endlessly entertaining.

7)Serpico- Love this cop film. Great plot, great characters, classic climax.

6)Star Wars- Hey I'm a 36 year old American male of course I love the original trilogy.

5)One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest- All time classic performance by an all time great actor, but this movie is so much more. Amazing dialogue, this film may be even better when it's quiet.

4)The Godfather II- What can you say about the first two Godfather films, if you don't love them you probably don't love cinema.

3)Apocalypse Now- Greatest war movie ever. The great story and endless run of great characters speaks for themselves. However when I think of Apocalypse I think of Duvall's best character ever.

2)Rocky- I think people forget how great this movie is with the 4 sub par films that came after.

1)The Godfather- See pick #4. These movie are masterpieces in the truest sense of the word.

1) Alien
2) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
3) Halloween
4) Star Wars
5) Chinatown
6) Westworld
7) Dawn of the Dead
8) Taxi Driver
9) a Clockwork Orange
10) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

you take it away... to show them what they had
Taxi Driver
Barry Lyndon
Alain
Apocalypse Now
Alian
A clockwork Orange
One flew over the Cuckoos nest
Chinatown

this is the only films from the 70's i can put as "favorites".

1. Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky)

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (Werner Herzog)

3. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky)

4. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)

5. Eraserhead (David Lynch)

6. Stroszek (Werner Herzog)

7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper)

8. Alien (Ridley Scott)

9. The Exorcist (William Friedkin)

10. The Ascent (Larisa Shepitko)

11. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola)
12. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola)
13. The Holy Mountain (Alejandro Jodorowsky)
14. The Tenant (Roman Polanski)
15. The Godfather: Part II (Francis Ford Coppola)
16. Badlands (Terrence Malick)
17. Chinatown (Roman Polanski)
18. Dawn of the Dead (George A. Romero)
19. Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog)
20. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese)
21. Pink Flamingos (John Waters)
22. The Devils (Ken Russel)
23. Even Dwarfs Started Small (Werner Herzog)
24. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman)
25. El Topo (Alejandro Jodorowsky)
26. Susperia (Dario Argento)
27. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (George Lucas)
28. The Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino)
29. Turkish Delight (Paul Verhoeven)
30. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick)
31. Carrie (Brian de Palma)
32. Benny's Bathtub (Jannik Hastrup, Flemming Quist Møller)
33. Fear of Fear (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
34. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (Jaromil Jires)
35. Phantom of Liberty (Luis Buñuel)
36. Black Moon (Louis Malle)
37. Woyzeck (Werner Herzog)
38. Hausu (Nobuhiko Obayashi)
39. Mad Max (George Miller, Byron Kennedy)
40. Logan's Run (Michael Anderson)
41. Klute (Alan J. Pakula)
42. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman)
43. The French Connection (William Friedkin)
44. A Bay of Blood (Mario Bava)
45. Salò, or The 120 Days Of Sodom (Pier Paolo Pasolini)
46. The Onion Field (Harold Becker)
47. Zombie (Lucio Fulci)
48. THX 1138 (George Lucas)
49. Lady Snowblood (Toshiya Fujita)
50. Soylent Green (Richard Fleischer)

Rocky

No order
1. Apocalypse Now
2. Rocky
3. Clockwork Orange
4. The Godfather
5. The Godfather 2