Hard Target (1993) vs. The Replacement Killers (1998).

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I found both of these 1990s action movies similar. One is directed by Hong Kong action movie John Woo in his American debut, and the other is inspired by John Woo's Hong Kong style as an American movie but starring the same actor Woo worked with before.

But which do you think is better? I find myself leaning slightly towards Hard Target for action and plot, but The Replacement Killers does have a more empathetic situation perhaps. But I hate how they try to fool the audience with the sniper crosshairs and thought that was cheap.

But what do you think?

Anyone?

i
I found both of these 1990s action movies similar. One is directed by Hong Kong action movie John Woo in his American debut, and the other is inspired by John Woo's Hong Kong style as an American movie but starring the same actor Woo worked with before.

But which do you think is better? I find myself leaning slightly towards Hard Target for action and plot, but The Replacement Killers does have a more empathetic situation perhaps. But I hate how they try to fool the audience with the sniper crosshairs and thought that was cheap.

But what do you think?
i have seen hard target and i like it a lot, but tbh i havent seen the other film, maybe i ll give it a watch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
One feels 80's, the other feels 90's.

Despite my love for JCVD, I've only seen Hard Target once and I think Woo had trouble with his first American film. He'd get better at it a few years later, but it's a little rough from what I remember.

Replacement Killers is forgettable, but fun. I specifically remember Chow-Yun Fat sliding across the floor and using his gun to stop himself. Thought that was cool. It's a film that seems to be in love with gun culture.

I'd have to rematch both.

Suspect's Reviews

Which one feels 80s and which one feels 90s though? Hard Target has more 80s looking cinematography, cause they didn't have digital color grading, like The Replacement KIllers, if that's what you mean?