Blade Runner 2049 Plot Discussion Etc

Tools    

I wanted to start this thread as a place to discuss what we know about the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner.

MAJOR SPOILERS: DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE FILM!

These are some things I think I understood about 2049:

- The scene in the beginning with the bodybuilder replicant..that scene was gently lifted from Philip K. Dick's original book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I believe I remember reading a scene of that exact environment. Crummy kitchen, something on the stove, farm land outside. Although in the book the land outside I believe had greener pastures.

-K is indeed very much a replicant hoping he was real, and that Deckard was his dad. He had to be a replicant, K did. He busted through walls, Deckard's punches had little effect on him, physically.

-Deckard was an experiment. Not a replicant. He was a human being who was coerced into banging Rachael, a womb capable replicant who delivered child. Deckard is human, but also a pawn and a studied specimen.

-K's snowflake heart ache scene at the end when Deckard goes to his daughter is the emotional bang of the film, not so much Deckard's contact with his own child. We feel for K. He wanted a dad, and like Pinnochio, he wanted to be a real boy. It was Deckard's daughter who implanted the memory of the wooden horse...but the memory was hers.

I need clarity on all of this, though.

These are some things I think I understood about 2049:

- The scene in the beginning with the bodybuilder replicant..that scene was gently lifted from Philip K. Dick's original book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I believe I remember reading a scene of that exact environment. Crummy kitchen, something on the stove, farm land outside. Although in the book the land outside I believe had greener pastures.
There is no such scene in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And there are definitely no green pastures, no farms, no farm houses. Maybe you've confused it with a scene from a different book.

-K is indeed very much a replicant hoping he was real, and that Deckard was his dad. He had to be a replicant, K did. He busted through walls, Deckard's punches had little effect on him, physically.
We know he's a replicant because we're told he's a replicant.

-Deckard was an experiment. Not a replicant. He was a human being who was coerced into banging Rachael, a womb capable replicant who delivered child. Deckard is human, but also a pawn and a studied specimen.
2049 doesn't specify what Deckard is, only that he was "programmed" to be attracted to Rachel, which you can interpret a number of ways. I don't see how he was a "studied specimen" though.

-K's snowflake heart ache scene at the end when Deckard goes to his daughter is the emotional bang of the film, not so much Deckard's contact with his own child. We feel for K. He wanted a dad, and like Pinnochio, he wanted to be a real boy. It was Deckard's daughter who implanted the memory of the wooden horse...but the memory was hers.

I need clarity on all of this, though.
WTF "snowflake"? Anyhow, why can't those two things work together to deliver the final emotional punch, the final chord? But it is K's story we've been following, so what happens to him matters to us more. And I don't know about other people, but it's difficult for me to connect with Deckard, to reconcile this Deckard with Deckard from the original. (I felt the same way seeing Harrison Ford play Hans Solo again.)

There is no such scene in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And there are definitely no green pastures, no farms, no farm houses. Maybe you've confused it with a scene from a different book.

We know he's a replicant because we're told he's a replicant.

2049 doesn't specify what Deckard is, only that he was "programmed" to be attracted to Rachel, which you can interpret a number of ways. I don't see how he was a "studied specimen" though.

WTF "snowflake"? Anyhow, why can't those two things work together to deliver the final emotional punch, the final chord? But it is K's story we've been following, so what happens to him matters to us more. And I don't know about other people, but it's difficult for me to connect with Deckard, to reconcile this Deckard with Deckard from the original. (I felt the same way seeing Harrison Ford play Hans Solo again.)
Snowflake as in outside snowflakes, not derogatory.

We're told he's a replicant, yes. I understood that much. It was when we're led to believe he may not be. He finds the wooden horse.

The greener pasture scene is maybe an embellishment on my part, for sure. But the kitchen/stove scene at the farm house is not. I had seen that scene somewhere, or read it. Possibly in a sequel book by K. Dick, or a deleted scene story-boarded. It's similar, that much I know, and I know it was lifted from one of those sources.

Studied specimen. What I meant was that since he was orchestrated to fall for Rachael, and Gaff knew of his unicorn dream, if he is NOT a replicant, then he was studied in some way - to manipulate him. That seems obvious to me if it's being determined he is human.

...The greener pasture scene is maybe an embellishment on my part, for sure. But the kitchen/stove scene at the farm house is not. I had seen that scene somewhere, or read it. Possibly in a sequel book by K. Dick, or a deleted scene story-boarded. It's similar, that much I know, and I know it was lifted from one of those sources.
There was a farm-kitchen-stove scene in the very 1st draft by Hampton Fancher for Blade Runner.

It was story boarded and shown on Dangerous Days, Making Blade Runner (2007)...It starts out with Deckard in a farm house on a big but empty industrial farm....he's cooking soup on the stove, a farm hand walks into the house and without saying a word Deckard shoots him...then reaches inside his jaw and pulls it free and we see the jaw is mechanical.

Does that sound familiar?

There was a farm-kitchen-stove scene in the very 1st draft by Hampton Fancher for Blade Runner.

It was story boarded and shown on Dangerous Days, Making Blade Runner (2007)...It starts out with Deckard in a farm house on a big but empty industrial farm....he's cooking soup on the stove, a farm hand walks into the house and without saying a word Deckard shoots him...then reaches inside his jaw and pulls it free and we see the jaw is mechanical.

Does that sound familiar?
That's it, bud! Thanks for the remind!