Joel's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

HOUSE II: THE SECOND STORY (1987)
Director: Ethan Wiley

In no way related to the original "House" film, original House writer Ethan Wiley brings his puppeteer and special effect knowledge to this tightly knitted comic sequel that concerns an old Aztec mansion, a crystal glowing blue skull that replenishes youth, and a zombie great grandfather to the house's new owner.

This movie has no real jump scares but it is very heavy on atmosphere thanks to the beautiful set design, music and matte paintings. The cast all seem game to have fun and that is exactly what you get with House II.

Watching this movie feels like a cleanse. The more you see it, the better you can feel. It has adventure, comedy, slightly creepy scenes to add another dimension, and cute prehistoric animals that never existed, such as a cross between a caterpillar and a puppy.

Combine a western, horror, teen comedy, adventure serial and a ..well, that should be enough. This movie has it all. It's low budgeted but creative. It uses the light of a stained glass window on a staircase to great effect as the sun beams color the sandstone decorated rooms.

Not much is wasted. This isn't a movie for everyone, though. It's like Disney on some low grade pot. The pot doesn't get you so stoned that you can't function, but it is good enough pot to get you thinking of taking a walk somewhere with a friend and getting lost in your own imaginations with each other. It's that kind of movie. I am not sure how it would translate to today's casual or serious movie buff, but back in 1987 I didn't think much of this film. It grew on me over the last 30 years, and it's a fine cup of tea today.

I remember House, with the guy from Cheers. I didn't even know there was a part 2 my lord.
House II has Cliff from Cheers this time around. And it was coincidental, not intentional..and he's fabulous in the role, just like Norm was!

HOUSE II: THE SECOND STORY (1987)
Director: Ethan Wiley

In no way related to the original "House" film, original House writer Ethan Wiley brings his puppeteer and special effect knowledge to this tightly knitted comic sequel that concerns an old Aztec mansion, a crystal glowing blue skull that replenishes youth, and a zombie great grandfather to the house's new owner.

Added to the list. I thought the first was ok, but if this is unique, I'm down.

Added to the list. I thought the first was ok, but if this is unique, I'm down.
It's very stupid and corny. Just be forewarned. My high rating is based off of nostalgia and my older age. But it's still goofy and shiny enough to warrant a viewing.

BUBBA HO-TEP (2002)
Director: Don Coscarelli

I find myself being drawn to movies that take the better part or more of a decade to fully blossom into my favorites list. Bubba Ho Tep is one of those films.

The first time I saw this movie I thought it was a misfire, and it very well may be a misfire. Some of the humor doesn't quite translate and comes off a bit dorky and thin to me. A few of the narration lines seem less than poetic and don't have enough meat on their bones to be truly effective. Almost like the writing was too watery or the delivery wasn't convincing enough. Sort of like it tries to be a bit profound but doesn't quite nail it with a full confidence. I also felt that this picture was very slowly paced and not very exciting at all. The climax was hum drum, the moments leading up to it seemed like they needed to be about 10 minutes longer with more sentiment and humor. I felt that icons such as JFK and Elvis deserved more gravity and depth.

After several re-watches of Bubba Ho Tep I began to find things that I did like about it.
I mean, what can I expect? It's the only film of its kind and no one seems to be rushing to make a sequel (which would be terrific!). The slow pace is more my speed these days. It's a perfect before bed movie to nod off to. The acting by Bruce Campbell as Elvis is funny. I'm not sure I could call him the best Elvis because I thought Kurt Russell and David Keith both were strong portrayers of the King, but Campbell's take on him is definitely the most bold and memorable. So, I guess that means Bruce's Elvis is my favorite. I keep changing my mind even as I write this review. And I'm not sure that "portrayers" is even a word but I'll move on.

There is no shortage on atmosphere here. The hallways of the convalescent home are dark, the trim shows signs of half a century old mildew stains, we hear the sound of an organ warming up with its dual fans as an elderly woman prepares to play in the community room, the campus lawn is illuminated with sparse lights and lend a very effectively eerie scape for the mummy to walk on.

I forgot to disclose this film is about a mummy terrorizing the souls of old people and a black John F. Kennedy reincarnate by government meddling teams up with an Elvis impersonator (not really, though) to battle the evil beast.

What a concept that is! Bubba Ho Tep is based on a short story that director Don Coscarelli was referred to at a local book store. That would explain the length of the film and the lack of depth (maybe) of the characters. Don't get me wrong, there is backstory, and a zinger of a flashback at that, but it still seems truncated. I would have loved it if Coscarelli had brought in more writing power to really kick this film up a few more notches. The potential was there for this to be one of the very best genre defying films of all time.

Dramatic elements of the story are carried on the shoulders of composer Brian Tyler. His simple and heartfelt score really bring home the bacon for the emotional component that drives this movie as a semi serious drama. Without such a fantastic music score I do not believe this film would have worked on any level outside of it being a freakish premise. It does transcend that goofy story. It does it as well as I can expect. And for me to keep complaining that Bubba Ho Tep isn't good enough because it was a missed opportunity wouldn't help a thing. It's done and it has had success as the cult film it should be.

I watch this movie about once every two years and I appreciate it more every time, though, my initial reservations about it remain the same.

Sometimes it just happens like that. It's not a perfect movie, and maybe it never could be, but while it's here on Earth, protected in canisters, and not the victim of a complete society nuclear blast, it's appreciated. I would send this one out to space pretty soon for safe keeping.

Bubba Ho Tep took a while for me to get into as well. For such a ridiculous premise, the humor is so unexpectedly dry. I really like the bittersweet ending though.

DAGON (2001)
Director: Stuart Gordon

As I near close to finishing my Stuart Gordon film studies I have found a movie in his filmography that sticks out as a major contender.

"Dagon" is the story of a wealthy couple shipwrecked on a damp island of strange inhabitants. That's the story I'm giving away. It's not to keep a serious twist secret or protect anyone from spoiling the movie, it's just that I'm too lazy to do a bullet point list of plot.

This film survives almost completely on atmosphere. Dark, overcast skies; rain, strange sounds and weathered architecture.

The characters are unique and a bit awkward, and that makes this movie come off as a bit cheap and corny. However, I believe Gordon was in full control of this. Some proof is that his comic injections (helmed by writer Dennis Paoli) are well spaced and usually effective, if not laugh out loud funny.

Continuing on we are given some creepy scenarios and a bit of relentless brutality that are signature of Stuart Gordon movies.

This was based off of H.P. Lovecraft's first published short story and later extended with elements of his last published story, so the entire film is essentially an amalgam of Lovecraft's career span, which isn't to say that "Dagon" is a work of genius or heavyweight film, but certainly doesn't have to try as hard with padding out the run time to explore a script adapted from a miniature idea.

I appreciate the performances that the director gets, most notably the ominous object of affection that remains a mystery for most of the film. A sexy dream woman/demon whose eyes are uncommonly wide and whose expression is that of complete trance and willfulness.

This was a Spanish production so some of the dialog is not in english and I did not use subtitles, but I feel they are not needed and add to the mystery. What is spoken in english by spanish inhabitants is broken and a bit daunting to understand but still legible enough to be clear on what is being communicated, if only a word or two slip through the barrier. "Dagon" is primarily and english spoken film.

Stuart Gordon has had a very interesting career as a shock and horror director whose characters are usually more fleshed out than the average exploitation assemblage. I think this movie stands up as one of his better efforts because it is easy to get lost in this nightmare world. Some of the CG effects are a bit slick and unmatched to ambient light while other effects are done well and look good. It's hit and miss. I don't feel it takes much away from the film itself.

This is something I plan to watch again within the next few years.

Bubba Ho Tep took a while for me to get into as well. For such a ridiculous premise, the humor is so unexpectedly dry. I really like the bittersweet ending though.
I agree. I read somewhere that Paul Giamatti was in kahoots with Coscarelli about a sequel. Supposedly the script is tight and now just waits to be financed. Not sure if Giamatti is replacing Bruce Campbell as Bruce was at odds with the director over some script elements.

Lisbon Story (1994)
Director: Wim Wenders

A motion picture and documentary sound guy travels to Lisbon to meet up with a director to find the man's flat abandoned, and soon is left to his own devices to navigate the locals in this slight but enjoyable comedy outing.

I don't know how much I can write about "Lisbon Story". The movie speaks at a very low volume and doesn't really have a lot to say and I like that. The details are what matter here.

Beautiful locations, lots of dead space and contemplation, a light and breezy mystery, hypnotic music at the nearby pub, a possible spark of romance and chance of a blossoming friendship, the ins and outs process regarding tricks of the trade to capture film worthy foley and sound effects. All of these things are under gentle inspection.

That's what this film is. It's a gentle inspection of a very loose story. It takes its time, doesn't have to be anywhere, and the trip is like a vacation.

Wim Wenders is a master at these kinds of movies. He takes peculiar photographs. For example his film "Paris, Texas" has a young boy looking through binoculars at a commercial airplane landing strip and instead of seeing the plane, we only see the shadow of the plane coming in for a landing. This is what it's like to watch a film by Wenders.

Lisbon Story is for someone who wants a light film that won't make them anxious and may even allow them to fall asleep and pick back up later. I love this movie, it's one of my favorites!

With a Friend Like Harry (Harry, He's Here to Help) - (2001)
Director: Dominik Moll

This french thriller is a very well made, character focused drama about a frustrated writer turned family man who takes his wife and kid on vacation and meets up with an old tag along friend who insists on rekindling the writing muse he used to be so fond of.

I've seen this movie three times now and like it a bit more each time I see it, even though I know basically what happens. Like John Carpenter's "The Thing", this movie maintains layers to it that seem to make the viewer's memory unlatched to sequence allowing multiple re-assessments.

The horror starts up once welcomes are worn out and vacation time starts to feel like high tension and walking on eggshells.

I did have to read this film, and that's fine as it isn't an action film filled with non stop funny dialog and incredible camera work (much like "Las brujas de Zugarramurdi" was - review of that coming soon).

The review stops here.

Highly recommended!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I went to a run down theatre to watch a double feature of From Beyond and Dagon. I really liked both, but I'd give the edge to Dagon for the atmosphere it was able to create. Really liked that one.

Suspect's Reviews

I went to a run down theatre to watch a double feature of From Beyond and Dagon. I really liked both, but I'd give the edge to Dagon for the atmosphere it was able to create. Really liked that one.
Wow, what year was this? That must've been awesome to see both of those films in a theater. Film or digital projection?

I like Dagon lots. Loved it when I was younger. I think it's better if you kind of watch it as a subtle comedy.

Lisbon Story looks good. With a Friend Like Harry looks good too. I'm busy and have some other movies prioritized, but hopefully I'll get around to them eventually.

BEVERLY HILLS COP (1984)
Director: Martin Brest

Before the buddy cop movie went into full swing with "Midnight Run" and "Lethal Weapon" we had "Beverly Hills Cop", preceded only by Walter Hill's "48 Hrs" 2 years prior.

Where Hill's "48 Hrs" was more raw and violent with a dark tone, "Beverly Hills Cop" is refreshing with a more heartwarming one. The first 15 minutes are pretty hard edged but the film soon takes us into more comic territory while still maintaining that slimy underbelly of a common mid-80's crime thriller.

I feel like this is the strength of the movie. The fact that it never fully becomes slapstick or too unrealistic. It's true that Eddie Murphy carries a good 80% of the film with his manic, yet effortless tirades of quick witted dialog and physical face work. However it'd be tough to say that the presence of every other cast member doesn't add a healthy 20% or more of worth into this jam packed ensemble.

John Ashton, Judge Reinhold, James Russo, Ronny Cox, Bronson Pinchot, Jonathan Banks, Stephen Berkoff, even Lisa Eilbacher, Damon Wayans and the other bit parts have something to do or say which is rare in any film.

Enter Martin Brest - the man responsible for giving all of these people something to do or say, right down to a brief scene of two warehouse workers bickering over some guy at a bar giving them the "stink eye". A super director with an eye for comedy, action and human story, he managed to assemble a cast and crew that was then able to transcend a genre upstart that not only surpassed previous action entries but also forged a new kind of movie that has not been reached with charisma since. The winning formula of "Beverly Hills Cop" is the interaction of its stars.

There's never a wasted page in this seemingly generic rehash script by Danillo Bach. Production took an outline and injected some real fire into it. From top to bottom the result works on different levels. It works as a small action picture, a fast paced comedy, a police drama and all together adds up to a well deserved blockbuster status that paved the way for many other films that tried to mimic the same success, and may have brought in more dollars, but never nailed the chemistry of this pitcure.

Since 1984, we've been treated to "Midnight Run" (another great Martin Brest picture), Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour, etc..all films that took cues from the original buddy bonanza of "48 Hrs" but none that gave the goods on so many various levels that "Beverly Hills Cop" did with a breezy stroke.

Eddie Murphy's talents were firing all on pistons. Even when he rambles on and on, if you look at his face, he's barely trying, yet you do not get the impression he is not invested into his performance.

I've never been too fond of BHC, but I should give it another go.

BTW, I watched Split (1989). Instantly a favorite. Thanks!
Awesome, glad you dig it. Crazy movie. I have a letter from the director somewhere, I'll show it to you next time I'm on.

Wow, that's awesome! I couldn't even find a disc, and had to resort to other means, but I'd love if that movie got a proper accessible release and more recognition.