Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

First time viewing:

The Seven-Ups 1973 Directed by Philip D’Antoni (Remastered)

Excellent chase scene, Roy Scheider and Tony Lo Bianco are great, what an underrated classic movie.
+

La Llorona started out with an awesome creepiness but couldn't really hold up till the end. Things started to just not make much since about halfway +/- and I lost interest. I finished the movie but can't say I really enjoyed it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	la llorona.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	57159  

Live and Let Die 1973 Directed by Guy Hamilton

+
It's a fun movie for sure. But what a great theme song by Paul McCartney! It seems silly at first, but then grows on a person..

~Doc

Welcome to the human race...
The Color of Money -

Trying to imagine a follow-up where Cruise is the busted old mentor.

It's a fun movie for sure. But what a great theme song by Paul McCartney! It seems silly at first, but then grows on a person..

~Doc
Yeah, had fun watching it, although there was a lot of silliness and ridiculousness too, so it's not on my top 15 Bonds anymore.
Great theme song indeed, wonder what Paul McCartney thinks of the Guns N Roses version

The Color of Money -

Trying to imagine a follow-up where Cruise is the busted old mentor.
Who are you thinking as the pupil? And what rating did you give The Hustler?

Welcome to the human race...
I think I had The Hustler at a
or a
. Due for a re-watch, I think.

No idea who they'd cast as the pupil, though.

Wings (William A. Wellman & Harry d'Abbadie d'Arrast, 1927)
+
The combat scenes really soar, sadly the rest doesn't fly as well for me

First time viewing:

The Seven-Ups 1973 Directed by Philip D’Antoni (Remastered)

Excellent chase scene, Roy Scheider and Tony Lo Bianco are great, what an underrated classic movie.
+
Unsuprisingly I agree John-Connor!!!!! Class film.

Shadows: The Other Window (TV, 1975) – 6/10

This was co-authored by J. B. Priestley and Jacquetta Hawkes and it's fascinating to see their combined interests reflected in the story. My memory must have had its handbrake on, because I know An Inspector Calls very well and really like it, but Priestley's name didn't register with me. I'm intrigued that he had such an interest in time and explored it in his other work.

Once again with these stories time is involved. The characters see people from history through a distorting lens fastened to the window, trying to convince the rigidly scientific father of the miracle. As with earlier episodes I felt that it might have been more suitable for the story to take place earlier in the twentieth century. The music, which is uncredited and very imposing, adds to this displacement considerably, but I'm not sure how intentional that was. Also, as in previous episodes, we're visiting a rarefied eschelon of society but the dialogue actually feels too antiquated even for them.

The child actors are quite watchable even so, and extremely competent. The language can sometimes produce an unnatural and stilted effect – Gwyneth Strong seemed to struggle with this most; she was very familiar but I didn't twig that she'd played Cassandra in Only Fools and Horses. It's funny also to see Sophie Ward at this age.

I enjoyed the central theme of this episode and it resonated with me. I was pleased that the story was able to create some unease in a couple of places but I was alert to the possibility that there could have been more. Very much feels like a classic out of its normal time and place. I'm looking forward to series 2.

Dead Presidents (Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes, 1995)

Still a fun enough watch but imo does suffer somewhat from milliners disease

Weekend re-watches:

Believe it or not, this is my favorite Denzel performance...playing a working class guy who takes desperate measures to get his son on a donor list for a heart transplant, Denzel commands the screen as always, but I love this performance in particular because, in a rare instance for Denzel, he's playing a regular Joe, a working class guy trying to keep a roof over his family's head and he nails it.

Woody's most ambitious, challenging, and angry work. Woody's extremely complex screenplay demands complete attention and even that won't work without multiple viewings, and the glorious all--star cast is AMAZING.

The 1983 Oscar winning Best Picture still provides compelling entertainment, thanks to the genius of James L. Brooks, who has crafted a tale that perfectly melds roll on the floor laughter with heartbreaking tragedy to breathtaking effect. Shirley MacLaine and Jack Nicholson's Oscar winning performances are wonderful, but with each viewing of this film, I find myself more fascinated with the work of Debra Winger as Emma...this is a performance of such freshness with nothing affected about it...you never catch her "acting'...this performance is a flawed and lovable human being that Winger loses herself in. And don't sleep on Jeff Daniels, completely winning as a truly detestable character...I think he should have gotten the Oscar nomination that went to John Lithgow.

Strange, interesting documentary.

Really good movie. Lucas Hedges did a great job. Joel Edgerton very impressive in a lead rôle, as well as directing. Oh, and he also wrote the screenplay.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Satanic Panic

A wild horror-comedy about a pizza delivery girl whose last job of the night makes her a potential victim of a band of Satanists.

The Brink

Max Zhang continues to dominate action films as a former undercover cop determined to track down a psychotic fisherman who wants a gold cache underwater in the high seas. Excellent fights, including an underwater fight and a fight on a boat in the middle of a typhoon.

Bald Knobber

An American historical epic based on actual historical research about the Bald Knobber vigilante movement of Missouri from 1883-1889.

Between the Darkness

Lew Temple unleashes his inner Nic Cage in the second half this coming-of-age/horror hybrid about a 13-year old who discovers her reality is not what she knows, all set during a supposed family vacation.

Vendetta

The awesome Jen and Sylvia Soska prove they can bring amped-up brutality in an action film in the story of a detective who gets himself put in prison to seek the criminal who killed his wife. Dean Cain and Paul "Big Show" Wight are very ticked-off in this film as they go at constant odds with each other.