MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Looking to make it easy by listing THE POINTS given, so viewers can add them up easily to arrive at the total. It's come up three times already, so I'm sure we'll get confused about it again.

Oh ffs!

I thought Nostro's post was showing the positions it was given in peoples' lists.

My bad.

Super-pumped as today we get to grab a seat in the MoFo theater and unwind as a new ENTERTAINER makes ready to put on a show for the #62 film! The first one was rather *shocking* by @Captain Spaulding for #74 film The Devil's Rejects (Iroquois is in LOVE with it), full of outrageous typemanship, obscene visuals, thought bubbles, jokes, and quotes, while pulling a Sexy Celebrity alt-account back to the forum and causing me to turn into MoFo Reporters Gale Weathers and Gale Weathers from the film Scream 3 (2000).

I'm thinking I'll put together a post on the first page of the thread about the Presenters, with links to the films they're doing. And there's actually still several open spots as well if you want in. For now though, it's been a long few nights back at work shifts after my beach vacation. I'm therefore thrilled so sit back, get some drinks, and let the Entertainer take over with the #62 movie on the List. We'll follow it up later on with the #61 if I don't pass out from the excitement of a few upcoming free nights/today's entertainer/brews!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	GaleandGale3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	53164   Click image for larger version

Name:	GhostfaceTerrordrome.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	53165   Click image for larger version

Name:	keanu.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	53166  

Kill her, Mommy! Kill her!

Don’t let her get away, Mommy!

Don’t let her live!

It is with great pleasure that I announce #62 on the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies list, a movie that gave me the absolute willies as a kid hadn't shat my pants like that since I was 2, and to this day retains its creepy vibe - from the menacing voyeuristic feeling to the unsettling music, the iconic ki-ki-ki-ki ma-ma-ma-ma and decent body count. Give it up for the first in a long series of exterminating irresponsible, fun-loving camp counselors. "Did you know that a young boy drowned, the year before those two others were killed? The counselors weren't paying any attention. They were making love while that young boy drowned! His name was Jason."

Thank you to everyone who voted for...

Friday the 13th (1980)
Runtime: 1 Hr 35 Mins
Production Company: Georgetown Productions
Distributed by : Paramount Pictures (U.S.)Warner Bros. (International)
Director: Sean S. Cunningham
Production Budget: $550,000
Five Votes: 84 Points
(24, 19, 17, 15, 9)
High Voter: @Nostromo87

Attachments

Name:	PamelaVoorhees.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	53169   Click image for larger version

Name:	FridayThe13th1980.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	53172   Click image for larger version

Name:	CatPam.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	53173  

Will get a re-write going for a crisp take on the movie, though here's my most recent perspective on Friday The 13th (1980), an uncommon first film from a Horror franchise relative to competition from its time which grows in power after engaging with its ongoing sequels, to acquire context as a viewer. Pam Voorhees, played by Betsy Palmer, makes for a piercing mother-figure-reversal built on Hitchcock's groundwork, along with one of the best examples of the work of horror-effects boss Tom Savini.

A Classic Revisited

Friday the 13th (1980)

An opening flashback to a summer camp scene sets the air for the story to follow. Two camp counselors slyly sneak away from the crowd serenading camp music to get hot and heavy in an attic loft, and they are met by an off-screen attacker. Next we fast-forward twenty years to a backpacker girl named Annie who is set to be the camp cook. Annie catches a ride with a truckdriver in town, he tells her, "Two kids were murdered in '58. Lloyd Browning in '57. Bunch of fires. Nobody knows who did any of it. 1962 they were gonna open up, the water was bad." Hey, wasn't that the road for Camp Crystal Lake back there?

After several rewatches, along with enjoying more of the Jason Voorhees films, it's pretty easy I feel to miss all the elements at play together in Friday the 13th (1980) without a more full grasp on the series. How it is a successful debut of one of the strongest horror franchises, and also unique compared to its rivals from the time period in the slasher subgenre. In contrast to the other big series, the first film sets up a mystery killer as well as a camp mythology backstory in which one by one the brash campers ignore the locals' warnings. Beware of strip monopoly and weird old guys riding bicycles, a perhaps hidden yet simple and stinging observation on human nature is at the center of it all. As time advances, for me, these Friday the 13th films gain more and more value.

Oh this place. They should never have opened this place again, there's been too much trouble here! Did you know that a young boy drowned? The year before those two others were killed. The counselors weren't paying any attention, THEY were making love while that young boy drowned! He should have been watched! Every minute! .... Oh I couldn't let them open this place again, could I? Not after what happened. YOU let him drown! You never paid any attention! Look what you did to him. LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO HIM!

Rating:
+ 8.5 / 10

Don't Let Her Get Away, Mommy

A system of cells interlinked
I am a big fan of Friday the 13th, but it did not make my list.

A Quiet Place (2018)
Runtime: 1 Hr 31 Mins
Production Company: Platinum Dunes
Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Director: John Krasinski
Production Budget: $17,000,000
Box Office: $340,900,000
Seven Votes
84 Points (21, 19, 16, 10, 8, 6, 4)
High Voter: @gbgoodies
Attachments

Name:	A Quiet Place 61.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	53187  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A Quiet Place was the first movie I watched this year and my thoughts can be found here.

In a nutshell, I love the effort but wouldn't consider it for this list, it leaned more sci/fi than horror for me. Interesting it is this high beating out "classics" like Friday the 13th.

Suspect's Reviews

Woohoo! Another one for me. A Quiet Place surprised me quite a bit tbh, and the sci-fi element definitely appealed to me.
I never voted for Friday 13th though. Never even considered it tbh.

01. The Babadook (2014) - 63rd
04. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
11. Zombieland (2009) - 83rd
14. The Fog (1980) - DNP, 110th
18. A Quiet Place (2018) - 61st
25. Critters (1986) - 1 Pointers List

Effin Horror War with Mark F, let's do this.

What kind of non-Gremlins ***** is this?

Friday the 13th wasn't on my list, but I'm surprised it didn't place higher on the Countdown. As a kid, it seemed like there was almost always a slasher marathon on tv, so I do have fond memories of watching those kinds of films, even if I'm not really a fan of the subgenre. I even eagerly waited in line to see Jason X haha.

A Quiet Place wasn't on my list either, though it was certainly a lot better than I thought it was going to be based on the trailer. It was another Get Out type situation, where my friend and I couldn't stop laughing the first time we saw it advertised in the theatre. Luckily the film took itself far more seriously than we initially gave it credit for.

Seen: 31/40
My List: 4

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Had a Quiet Place at #22.

11. The Bride of Frankenstein
22. A Quiet Place
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

Friday the 13th (1980)
Runtime: 1 Hr 35 Mins
Production Company: Georgetown Productions
Distributed by : Paramount Pictures (U.S.)Warner Bros. (International)
Director: Sean S. Cunningham
Production Budget: $550,000
Five Votes: 84 Points
(24, 19, 17, 15, 9)
High Voter: @Nostromo87

The film made $59,800,000 at the Box Office. More than primary competition The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), Halloween (1978), and A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984). Throw some money, honeys!

The Friday the 13th franchise is iconic, or at least the killer is, but the movies were never that good. The first film don’t come close to its “slasher enemies”... but it’s okay. I feel like it should be on the list, though I prefer Jason Lives.

I didn’t have room for A Quiet Place on my list but I think it’s reallt good. It might have made a top 50. Good, inventive, different and well made horror-thriller. Glad to see it on the list even if it’s so new. There’ll be plenty of room for the bigger ones higher up anyways...