10. Playtime (1967)
11. High and Low (1963)
12. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
13. The End of Summer (1961)
14. The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
15. Late Autumn (1960)
16. The Swimmer (1968)
17. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
18. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
19. Blow-Up (1966)
20. The Silence (1963)
21. Belle de Jour (1967)
22. Peeping Tom (1960)
23. Will make it!
24. Juliet of the Spirits (1965)
25. Goldfinger (1964)

Lawrence of Arabia was my number 12. On another day it definitely could've been higher, but as you all know, the order of my list is partly arbitrary anyway. It's of course an absolutely amazing film. It tells one of the largest intimate stories ever put on film... I hope I'll be able to see it one day on the big screen.

As you can see, I've also added the films from my list that didn't make the countdown. They're four films from four of the most acclaimed directors of all time who all had several other films on this list.

The End of Summer (1961) ~ Yasujirô Ozu

Ozu tells a rich story about a family in his usual meticulous style. Interesting events and conversations are shown in Ozu's magnificently beautiful trademark fashion and there are a few dark turns that hold you on the edge of your seat during the film. Extremely profound cinema.

The Bad Sleep Well (1960) ~ Akira Kurosawa

Another brilliant Japanese film noir by Kurosawa. If you loved High & Low, you definitely need to check this one out as well! It approaches its brilliance at times, in my opinion.

The Silence (1963) ~ Ingmar Bergman

This instantly became one of my top 3 favorite Bergman films right after I watched it. The drama is so intense that it brought me to new depths in the field of understanding hate and love (especially the former). The atmosphere of the film is mostly very claustrophobic, but Bergman was somehow able to find enough balance to not let it become unpleasant to watch. There are a few lighter scenes (mostly from the perspective of the kid) to keep you going throughout. It's a very unique film.

Juliet of the Spirits (1965) ~ Federico Fellini

This is a visually stunning film full of bombastic, colorful and above all fantastically beautiful scenes, but in the end it's the emotions and humane profundity that are reflected from Giulietta Masina's face that made me fall in love with it. She's such a wonderful actress. She perfectly understood the vulnerability, the naive hopefulness and the "sense of being lost" that was needed for this role. I'm not sure if there ever were more heartbreaking tears in the history of cinema than hers...

Like many people here, I had Lawrence of Arabia at #2 and I'm very surprised it didn't place at least in the Top Five. In my personal Top Ten it's #7 but we're dealing with the 60's list here, so I figured it would be higher.

On a personal note, when Lawrence of Arabia was re-released after its "reconstruction" or whatever you want to call it---it was cleaned up and repaired---I got to see it on a giant screen in 70mm and I must say it was incredible. I found myself lost at times just watching the scenery and forgetting about the story. If anybody gets the opportunity to see it at the cinema, jump at the chance!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Here's a couple of mine that won't make it

6. The Great Race

12. Morituri

16. The Guns of Naverone

18. What's New Pussycat

19. Major Dundee

and as you can see, they're a lil discouraged about it

I also voted for Major Dundee, it was my number 25 I think.

Only three of my picks missed out I think that is the most I've had show up in one of these.

12.Au Hasard Balthazar

Its strange that a film who's central character or at least one of is a donkey could be so well made but yeah I loved this. After watching it the first time I read Roger Ebert review which said Bresson was famous for telling his actors not to actually act, so the viewer would project his own feelings onto the characters and situations. With that in mind I watched it again not long after and honestly its like watching a different film, such great filmmaking. Actually thought this would have made it.

13.Take The Money And Run

Yeah I knew this wasn't going to show up and wouldn't be surprised to find out I was the only one to vote for. I'd be kidding myself if I hadn't included it though. As I was saying to Sean in another thread I'm fully aware this is not one of Allen's best but it is my fave of his. Slapstick is hit and miss for me but I just find this hilarious from start to finish, and for a film so ridiculous I felt the romance was actually done pretty well.

23.Vivre Sa Vie

I watched three Godard's for this and thought each was better than the last, wasn't much of a fan of Breathless, I thought Contempt was OK yet I really, really liked this. Not sure if I wasstarting to get used to JLG or if iI just found the right one for me. More than anything I loved Anna Karinas performance, among my fave ever female performances actually.

My list without the five still to come.

2.Lawrence of Arabia
3.8 1/2
4.The Apartment
5.Le Samurai
6.Army of Shadows
7.Harakiri
9.The Wild Bunch
10.To Kill A Mockingbird
11.For A Few Dollars More
12.Au Hasard Balthazar
13.Take The Money And Run
15.Rosemary's Baby
16.Midnights Cowboy
18.Playtime
19.Yojimbo
21.Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
22.Judgement At Nuremberg
23.Vivre Sa Vie
24.Easy Rider
25.From Russia With Love

Films from my list that did not make the cut:

1. The Fire Within (1963)

9. Dance of the Vampires (1967)

11. The Man Who Had His Hair Cut Short (1966)

13. The Saragossa Manuscript (1965)

15. The Witness (1969)

19. The Golden Fern (1963)

20. Cul-De-Sac (1966)

22. Divorce Italian Style (1961)

24. Lo straniero (1967)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Let the night air cool you off
My list, excluding those about to show:

2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961; Masaki Kobayashi)
4. Yojimbo (1961; Akira Kurosawa)
5. The Exterminating Angel (1962; Luis Bunuel)
6. The Great Silence (1968; Sergio Corbucci)
7. Breathless (1960; Jean-Luc Godard)
8. Persona (1966; Ingmar Bergman)
9. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964; Jacques Demy)
10. Le Samourai (1967; Jean-Pierre Melville)
11. Peeping Tom (1960; Michael Powell)
12. The Apartment (1960; Billy Wilder)
13. Blind Beast (1969; Yasuzo Masumura)
14. X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963; Roger Corman)
15. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962; Tony Richardson)
16. The Bad Sleep Well (1960; Akira Kurosawa)
17. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960; Karel Reisz)
18. Bonnie and Clyde (1967; Arthur Penn)
19. Night of the Living Dead (1968; George Romero)
20. Carnival of Souls (1962; Herk Harvey)
21. Band of Outsiders (1964; Jean-Luc Godard)
22. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966; Mike Nichols)
23. Eyes Without a Face (1960; Georges Franju)
24. The Innocents (1961; Jack Clayton)
25. The Outrageous Baron Munchausen (1962; Karel Zeman)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
If you've never seen it in the theater, especially a pretty 70mm print, well....then you haven't really lived.

Twice

The movies I voted for that aren't making it, since so many people are sharing:

4. The Loved One (1965, Tony Richardson)
6. War and Peace (1967, Sergei Bondarchuk)
10. The 10th Victim (1965, Elio Petri)
11. Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966, Karel Reisz)
18. One, Two, Three (1961, Billy Wilder)
24. Head (1968, Bob Rafelson)
25. The Cremator (1969, Juraj Herz)

I wonder if any of these only I voted for.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
People, don't show your list like that or it will be easier to guess how many points are the movies left going to receive! One thing is saying which movies didn't make the list, another thing is saying where were they in the list...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Don't see anything wrong with it. Anyone who's been paying attention has a fair idea of what's going to make up the rest of the list, the only real debate will be the order.

I seriously doubt anyone is going through all of these lists and trying to figure out how many points each film received, and if they are then good luck to them

I've got a number of empty slots on the list that I've been posting, because those movies haven't come out yet on the thread.
How would anyone know what movies are in those slots?

Master of My Domain
people here now eachother's tastes quite well
There are still some members' taste I simply can't figure out, I won't point out their names out loud because I don't believe in Name 'n' Shame but y'all probably know who you are.

NEW TOP 6 GUESS:

1. 2001
2. Psycho
3. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. Once Upon a Time in the West
6. The Graduate

Camo: I also voted for Au hasard Balthazar fairly high, disappointed it didn't make it.

Vivre sa Vie was on my list too I think. It's points per list number is very low though, it appeared on five lists, but not high enough.

The movies I voted for that aren't making it, since so many people are sharing:

4. The Loved One (1965, Tony Richardson)
6. War and Peace (1967, Sergei Bondarchuk)
10. The 10th Victim (1965, Elio Petri)
11. Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966, Karel Reisz)
18. One, Two, Three (1961, Billy Wilder)
24. Head (1968, Bob Rafelson)
25. The Cremator (1969, Juraj Herz)

I wonder if any of these only I voted for.
The Loved One is the only one that didn't appear on any other lists. The 10th Victim appeared on one more, so did Morgan! and The Cremator, Head appeared on two more, I think.

I'll get the full spreadsheet and numbers uploaded soon for everyone to take a look at

Ashamed to say I still have not seen Lawrence of Arabia....

Thus far, only nine of my list have actually made the cut and I'm expecting only one more to make an appearance, leaving fifteen others, but I'll withhold revealing them until the end.

Unregistered User
In keeping with the trend, the movies i voted for that won't make it are,

Targets
Shock Corridor
Faces
Red Angel

Anyone else vote for these?