The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Neither film is from my list, but I certainly like both a lot. I saw all the Planet of the Apes movies many times growing up, and I've owned the box set in wide screen VHS and on DVD, and even as the budgets shrank and the lapses of logic increased, the movies managed to remain cool to this kid's eyes. They're still a lot of fun. Unlike Burton's neurotic and misguided attempt, and in my opinion more than the new ones as well, which are little too serious and polished.

My list so far

*1 Elmer Gantry (1960)
2 Well be in the top 10!
*3 The Innocents (1961)
*4 Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
5 Well be in the top 10!
6 Well be in the top 10!

*7 The Music Man (1962)
*8 The Hustler (1961)
9 Won't make it.
*10 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
*11 Fail Safe (1964)
*12 Hud (1963)
*13 Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)
*14 Planet of the Apes (1968)
*15 My Fair Lady (1964)
16 Well be in the top 10!
17 Well be in the top 10!

*18 Mary Poppins (1964)
*19 Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
20 Won't make it but it should have.
21 Might make it and it should have.
*22 The Birds (1963)
23 Not a chance of making it.
*24 What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
25 Not a chance of making it.

I saw Planet of the Apes a few times as a kid, not sure if I've seen it since. Not sure if I've seen To Kill a Mockingbird either, to be honest. I didn't much care for the book but then that's true of most of the books I had to read for class.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
To Kill a Mockingbird was number five on my list. It is a very well acted film, especially the performance of Gregory Peck. I didn't get to the film until a couple months ago, but it is a film that I will certainly be rewatching for years to come!

Two from my list. LOVE Planet of the Apes! It is sci-fi and has Charlton Heston, so of course I love it. Saw it young before I was exposed to the twist via popular culture. Was an early rental at Blockbuster Video by my brother. Been a big fan ever since. Love it so much I refuse to touch the recent reboot, and I LOATHE Tim Burton's cinematic abomination. I also had To Kill a Mockingbird at #23. Excellent film, I just do not love it as much as others do. That being said, I am shocked it is outside the Top 10.

1. Will show. Top 10 More then likely
2. Odds say no
3. Le Samourai (1967) #24
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) #20
5. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) #51
6. Planet of the Apes (1968)
7. High and Low (1963) #23
8. The Hustler (1961) #26
9. Will show. Top 10 easy.
10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) #34
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) #29
15. Odds are good
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. Doubt it
18. Could be Number 1
19. The Wild Bunch (1969) #15
20. The Great Escape (1963) #30
21. Yojimbo (1961) #17
22. Could be number one, top 5 at least I would think
23. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) #13
24. Peeping Tom (1960) #33
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

My List:
Seen: 46/88

Master of My Domain
To Kill a Mockingbird was my #21.

Hopefully nobody expected another write-up.

I had Planet of the Apes at #21. Surprised and glad to see it this high.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Finished here. It's been fun.
Was not expecting these films to show up this high, that being said I do think they deserve having a high spot on the countdown. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the absolute finest book to film adaptations, and it is also one of the greatest coming-of-age films as well. The film captures the beauty and innocence of childhood and is able to improve in some areas of the already terrific novel. Gregory Peck was magnificent in his role as Atticus Finch, he made the role completely his own. He is one of cinema's greatest hero's, a man who stands up for what is right regardless of what others might think of him. Mockingbird is a really terrific film, one of my favorites of the 60's for sure.

I love Planet of the Apes, although it is quite dated in many areas. I don't mind to be honest, as the campiness of the film sort of lends it a unique sort of charm. Definitely a sci-fi classic. It's a little kitscky, a bit tacky, but I like it regardless.

Planet of the Apes is one of the last two films from my list, that I did expect to see. It was my number ten. Gee, I wonder what the last movie could be. I will have twelve movies, in all. That's not too bad.

01. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
04. The Birds (1963)
06. The Haunting (1963)
08. Barefoot in the Park (1967)
10. Planet of the Apes (1968)
12. What Ever Happen to Baby Jane? (1962)
15. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
16. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
17. The Great Escape (1963)
18. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967)
19. The Sound of Music (1965)

I've had so many chances to watch Planet of the Apes over the years, but I just had no interest in it. Needless to say, it was a big surprise for me when I watched it for this countdown. It was my #14.

On the other hand, I've always loved To Kill a Mockingbird, but when I watched it again for this countdown, I didn't quite feel the same magic. I still think it's a great film, and I'm glad it did well.

My list-

#1 Elmer Gantry
#2 Onibaba
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#7 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
#8 Harakiri
#9 The Hustler
#11 Inherit the Wind
#12 High and Low
#13 Breakfast at Tiffany's
#14 Planet of the Apes
#15 An Autumn Afternoon
#16 Woman in the Dunes
#18 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
#25 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

3 more to come for me, all top 10 I think.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Those are the only errors that I noticed. I only noticed those two because I had one of the movies higher than you did, and the other one was one of the very last cuts from my list, and one of the toughest. (I'm surprised that I didn't notice Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too.)
i REALLY should have just gone to page #1 and checked the list when i started to forget which ones had shown up.
Regardless, thanks again for letting me know -- and BTW LOOOVE the avatar!!

God bless the apes and:

Planet of the Apes was .#14. Like so many that grew up then, I watched all the movies, didn't have any action figures, but read several of the books and even enjoyed the TV series.

1. The Great Escape #30
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid #21
3. The Hustler #26
4. The Wild Bunch #15
5. The Lion in Winter #77
8. Le Samourai #24
11. True Grit #72
14. Planet of the Apes #14
17. Oliver! #90
22. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf #29
22, Italian Job #85
25. Bonnie & Clyde #45

Crap! Crap! #13? I'm with several others here that To Kill a Mockingbird should have been in the Top Ten, as iconic as it is. In fact I had it at #1 for this 60's list, as it's my favorite movie of all time. Oh well, I'm hoping for a few of my Top Five to actually make the Top Five.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
5. Mary Poppins
7. To Kill a Mockingbird
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
13. Bonnie and Clyde
15. Goldfinger
16. Breakfast at Tiffany's
18. The Birds
22. Easy Rider
23. The Jungle Book
25. The Great Escape

Some comments:

50. The Hole / Le Trou (Jacques Becker, 1960) [146]
49. Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson, 1964) [150]
48. Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960) [151]
47. Spartacus (Stanley Kubrick, 1960) [154]

My list. Kubrick begins flexing his muscles. Well he already had done the incredible Paths of Glory, significantly superior to this film. However, since I am a big fan of Greco-Roman history I love everything related to the ancients, specially when I get someone like Kubrick to direct

46. Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964) [155]
45. Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn, 1967) [157]
44. Z (Costa-Gavras, 1969) [158]
43. Last Year at Marienbad (Alain Resnais, 1961) [159]

Boring and pretentious. A movie that is really hard to swallow and I found it among the most boring things I ever watched, I felt very disconnected from it.

42. The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963) [160]
41. Pierrot Le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965) [165]

Well, it appears to be the typical example of new wave French influence on modern cinema. I would think that many modern Hollywood movies have been directly influenced by it. Even a Cowboy Bebop episode is named after the movie (though it's actual style is very different).

40. My Fair Lady (George Cukor, 1964) [170]
39. Breakfast at Tiffany's (Blake Edwards, 1961) [178]
38. Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969) [178]
37. The Sound of Music (Robert Wise, 1965) [185]
36. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964) [186]

35. Judgment at Nuremberg (Stanley Kramer, 1961) [188]
34. The Manchurian Candidate (John Frankenheimer, 1962) [190]
33. Peeping Tom (Michael Powell, 1960) [191]
32. The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961) [204]
31. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967) [212]

That one was on my list (I think). It's a very mechanical movie and I think it's rather unique in that sense among the movies I have watched. Truly impressive demonstration of the rapidly changing world of the 1960's as European society was transforming itself from a industrial society to a post-industrial post-modern society. This movie is a criticism of the elements of post-industrial society that we regard as natural.

30. The Great Escape (John Sturges, 1963) [221]
29. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Mike Nichols, 1966) [221]
28. West Side Story (Robert Wise, 1961) [222]
27. Harakiri (Masaki Kobayashi, 1962) [230]

My list. A tour the force showing of the power of Japanese cinema in terms of movies characterized by a strong sense of theatricality. It's a post-war (blunt) criticism of the Samurai mentality, so prevalent in Japan. It reflects the country's introspective observation of it's own cultural fabric after the disaster struck them in WW2: the once proud Japanese empire found out it was just a second rate third world country who was unable to defend itself against a fraction of the resources of a major western power. As a result to this shock Japan started to deconstruct it's own cultural identity and the concept of bushido, central to the culture of Japanese civilization, was itself put under attack by films such as Seven Samurai and this one.

26. The Hustler (Richard Rossen, 1961) [239]
25. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960) [262]

Boring and overrated criticism of post-war Italian elites, reminds me of Playtime in the same sense but unlike Playtime it lacks the mechanical precision that appeals to me. IMO most Fellini movies feel a bit too "loose" and I prefer tight.

24. Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967) [269]
23. High and Low (Akira Kurosawa, 1963) [281]

My list. This one is a winner. One of the classic Kurosawa movie, highly entertaining and precisely executed. Kurosawa is the kind of cinema as a storytelling medium and this movie is one of the supreme examples of the art.

22. For a Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone, 1965) [289]

My list. Incredible. An epic movie that heavily influenced pop culture. It contains many elements of entertainment that would be re-used in many later movies, TV shows, novels and manga. It's one of the few movies that left me completely absorbed in it's narrative.

21. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969) [294]

I think it was an ok movie. Though it has been over a decade since I watched it with my family, at the time my tastes in movies were not the same as now so I guess I would need to re-watch it to see how it stands now.

20. Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero, 1968) [296]

I need to watch this movie. I never get to it but I still need to do so, it's a classic right? Has zombies and everything, I hope it is as good as the first season of The Walking Dead.

19. Woman in the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964) [310]

My list. This one is great. Pretty disturbing film as well, dude goes to the middle of nowhere finds a hole and it even comes with a women inside. Awesome dude.

18. The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963) [320]

Really funny comedy. While it was intended as a horror movie to me it was just funny and I appreciate it on a mostly sarcastic level: birds attacking humanity. Lol. That's so lame and laughable. But they outnumber us 50 to one, don't they? Well now with population growth and environmental degradation I guess the odds are closer to 10 to one. I think I can beat 10 pigeons, well, at least if I fight'en separately. Also contains some of the worst child acting of all time. Could have been on my list.

17. Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa, 1961) [320]

The classic spaghetti western that is actually a Japanese film set around the end of the Edo period and beginning of the Meiji period (something I learned when I watched Samurai X on cartoon network in the 5th grade ). Though I think it was very hard to find a gun in Japan at the time because the country was very closed to the rest of the world: it was the only case in history where guns were abandoned, due perhaps to the demands of the Samurai class whose sword skills were devalued with firearms.

16. 8½ (Federico Fellini, 1963) [337]

My list, like in 3rd place. Now, this is an exceptional Fellini. Instead of being all loose and lazy, like a proper Italian, it is what you would imagine a Fellini film would look like if it were something tightly executed. In fact the only one of his movies which I found profoundly affecting and really cool. The only movie cooler than this one on my list was Japanese and animated, well, not really, this is the coolest movie in my list.

15. The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969) [339]
14. Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968) [384]

My list. Who yeah, the movie with monkeys. Really good, specially in the last scene: Dam you All to Hell. I wish I could say that with the same degree of conviction. One of the finest science fiction movies of all time indeed.

13. To Kill a Mockingbird (Robert Mulligan, 1962) [386]

A bit tad melodramatic. I remember I watched it because I read on a review of Miyazaki's Spirited Away that it was one of the reviewer's favorite movies of all time alongside films such as To Kill a Mockingbird. So I decided to watch it, it was a disappointment. What I learned from that experience is that western movie fans do not really understand Miyazaki. Because their reaction to Miyazaki's anime is completely inconsistent with the actual creator's intentions, an outcome of their environment being culturally unrelated with the cultural environment in which anime springs forth: the fact that some western movie fans are even comparing the symphony of images, music and plot that constitutes Spirited Away with this simplistic melodrama is, well, rather dumb to be perfectly honest.

Sorry guys from posting this huge chunk of text.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some decent comments within the lecture. However, you seem to have no concept of empathy.