The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched both of these movies twice in recent months, the 2nd time because they were each nominated for a HoF.

I very much enjoyed Pierrot Le Fou the 1st time, but the 2nd time it felt like a completely different movie. It annoyed the crap out of me, and I eventually wanted to vomit after hearing the guy correct the girl about his name so many times.

I liked The Haunting the 1st time, and then I liked it more the 2nd time. It's a very solid horror movie.

9 from my list so far, and I'm expecting another 11. With watching 2 movies after they appeared, I've seen them all.

Pierrot was 14th on my list - which makes a total of 4 from my list appearing here so far. While not my favourite Godard, it's certainly my favourite of this decade and definitely his most re-watchable (I'm sure many would disagree ). It's a film which just exudes fun, which is strange to say given that our male lead is - for all intents and purposes - waterboarded at one stage.

I am yet to see The Haunting.

I'm a fan of Godard and I had four of his films on my list, but Pierrot le Fou wasn't one of them (and for the record, neither was Breathless). I watched it nearly two years ago though, so I'd probably feel a lot differently now.

Not that huge a fan of The Haunting either, I wasn't really impressed on any level. At least this means it ranked lower than another 60s horror movie that is superior.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Crazy Pete (the English title is so bad everyone uses French one anyways) is a great film. I give it

Haven't seen The Haunting, but I've had it ready to see for 2 years now.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Very glad The Haunting made it, but I was confident it would. I had it on my list and it still has the ability to scare me after all these years .

Glad to see The Haunting make it. I had it at #22 on my list. That's nine from my list already. Getting nervous, hoping to see more from my list to make the Top Ten.

I'm going to make predictions for mine...

1. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
2. Definitely Top 10
3. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
4. Definitely
5. Definitely
6. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
7. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
8. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
9. The Haunting (1963) - 42nd
10. True Grit (1969) - 69th

11. Definitely Top 10
12. Definitely Top 10
13. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
14. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th
16. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
17. Definitely Top 10
18. Maybe, possibly in the 20s
19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
20. Definitely Top 10
21. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
22. Definitely Top 10
23. Definitely
24. Pretty sure it’ll make it, maybe Top 20
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40

Wow, I think that's the first set I haven't seen. Pierrot Le Fou didn't interest me that much because I think Godard films are quite shallow, specially compared to those of Truffaut and Rohmer. I like Le Mépris and Vivre sa Vie, but that's about it. As for The Haunting I never heard of it, I put it on my watchlist

Pierrot le fou at #20 over here, fifth from my list to make it and my favourite Godard.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

This is the first time I've seen a movie from my list, in roughly two weeks.

06. The Haunting
08. Barefoot in the Park
12. What Ever Happen to Baby Jane?
15. They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
18. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

5. Elmer Gantry (1960, Richard Brooks)
15. Z (1969, Costa-Gavras)
16. A Hard Day’s Night (1964, Richard Lester)
20. Mary Poppins (1964, Robert Stevenson)

I didn't have any in the bottom 47.

I hope some more of the less obvious ones from my list still make it.

When are we going to start doing 1 film a day? Top 20 usually, right?
As Mark says, top ten. I'm not sure what it was like on the other countdowns, I can't quite remember. I think animation was 20, but I don't really say a great reason to slow it down so much so I think 10 should work fine

Unregistered User
I liked Pierrot well enough to give it a
. The Haunting is still one of my favourite horror films and I had it 14th on my list. I had been keeping an eye out to see which would finish highest between The Haunting and The Innocents, so i'm assuming the latter is victorious.

I liked Pierrot well enough to give it a
. The Haunting is still one of my favourite horror films and I had it 14th on my list. I had been keeping an eye out to see which would finish highest between The Haunting and The Innocents, so i'm assuming the latter is victorious.
It has to be in there!

The Breakdown...

My Fair Lady

3rd (23 points), 6th (20 points), 7th (19 points), 2x 8th (36 points), 11th (15 points), 12th (14 points), 13th (13 points), 15th (11 points), 17th (9 points), 2x 21st (10 points),

Breakfast at Tiffany's

3rd (23 points), 4th (22 points), 5th (21 points), 8th (18 points), 11th (15 points), 13th (13 points), 14th (12 points), 2x 16th (20 points), 18th (8 points), 2x 19th (14 points), 20th (6 points), 21st (5 points), 25th (1 point)

Notes

My Fair Lady was the only film to receive 170 points. Breakfast at Tiffany's tied with another film but appeared on fewer lists, so appears first.