The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

SWEET! A Fistful of Dollars was my number 5, and is my favorite western. Eastwood is the man, and his final fight with Ramon is easily one of my favorite scenes in film. Glad it made it! Have not seen The Man who Shot Liberty Vance yet, but I do have it on DVD as a double with Shootout at the OK Corral.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) #51
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. ?
15. ?
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Seen 17/50

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm going to take a vacation from writing/and or quoting myself today and give you a vacation from it too. I like both westerns and love the western genre but voted for neither. I did vote for two westerns, but I believe only one will make it.

You people talk as if Ford has no style himself, which he does, of course. Don't get me wrong, I love Leone too, and his films are a lot of fun, but it's a shame some of Ford's more interesting films (especially relevant for the 60s) don't get much exposure/discussions on here. I had The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance somewhere in the bottom half of my list I think.

Fistful of Dollars was my #18. I saw it probably 5 years ago and didn't get around to a rewatch so I don't remember much, but I know I loved it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Valence was my number 5. It is a terrific film! One of Fords best works! I've seen 18 of the first 50, but I assume I'll have seen at least 32 of the last 50 for a 50% watch rate.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Watch (and read about) more Ford dude
Challenge accepted. I can watch, but to hell with the reading. I get the intention, but films have to be felt, not understood, nor, even worse, read about much later and made you believe they are masterpieces, while you didn't really think you're watching one.

I've only seen The Searchers and it didn't particularly make me want to discover more of his works. I will go with Stagecoach, though.

Well, at least Ford is a better director than actor. He played 'Klansman on Horse Holding Up Hood with Hand' in The Birth of a Nation.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm going to take a vacation from writing/and or quoting myself today and give you a vacation from it too. I like both westerns and love the western genre but voted for neither. I did vote for two westerns, but I believe only one will make it.
I believe that I voted for the Western that you voted for that you think will not make it, unfortunately.

Agreed.

But it's funny you all talking about who is better, missing the indirect influence Ford had on Leone with a Japanese director in the middle.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."