The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

..... there was a Mary Poppins I didn't like.
what??

I think I've got 5 so far (might have a couple more as I'm at work at the mo and can't check) , with most of those being right at the bottom so I'm confident some more of mine will turn up as my list is some Criterion but more night at the flicks.

The Breakdown...

Red Beard

2nd (24 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 10th (16 points), 11 (15 points), 13th (13 points)

Breathless

6th (20 points), 7th (19 points), 9th (17 points), 14th (12 points), 16th (10 points), 2x 17th (18 points), 3x 21st (15 points), 25th (1 point)

Notes

Both films received the same amount of points, so were ranked depending on the amount of lists they appeared on. Red Beard only appeared one 6 lists, giving it an average ranking of 6th place, one of the highest so far.

Master of My Domain
Breathless is one of Godard's weaker films. It got a proper spot.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Red Beard was another movie among the top of my watchlist! Didn't have time to watch it (again).

Breathless was my 26th, it was on the list right till the final cut! I'm glad it's here nevertheless!

I've seen Breathless and I think it's a great film, but it didn't make my list. I consider it to be one of the weaker Godard films that I have seen, although that's just because he's made so made great ones

There's plenty of discussion on this forum about it, whether people love it or hate it, but it wouldn't be a Sixties list without it. Definitely one of the most important films ever created, and a landmark film within the French New Wave. It's what cinema is about, coming along and taking something you know and love and creating something rebellious, something unique

Let the night air cool you off
Like Swan, I was expecting Breathless to be higher up. This list has been pretty weird so far, that's not a complaint mind you.

My list so far with the inclusion of Breathless:

2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer [#95]
7. Breathless [#59]
25. The Outrageous Baron Munchausen [1 pointer]

The Criterion Effect on our lists was I think especially inevitable for both the '60s and the eventual 1950s list. Criterion is an offshoot of Janus Films. Janus made their bones by distributing foreign language films in the United States, with Bergman's The Seventh Seal being their breakthrough, as far as visibility, marketing, and distribution. So from the late '50s and beyond, most every big name in foreign cinema came to American cinema screens through Janus. This was the era of Bergman and Fellini and Kurosawa at their heights, the entire French New Wave, and just about everything else. They still retain rights to most of that incredible catalog, and have long established relationships with those filmmakers and overseas studios and producers. Which is why the core of the Criterion Collection, both on BluRay/DVD and on LaserDisc before it, are these international classics.

In the 2000s, Criterion has been remarkably efficient at establishing their brand and marketing themselves. They are also very savvy about making their library available through streaming and just generally getting their name and products out there. Considering what the Art House was in the 1960s coupled with Criterion's sense of prestige and sheer force in the marketplace, I expected the MoFo list to read much like the Criterion website. Not to take anything at all away from the power and influence of Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Godard, et al., because their work certainly speaks for itself quite well and I would hope that their names appear on any such "best of" list, Janus/Criterion or not. But as we go further back in the history of cinema, especially for you younger MoFos, it is going to be a question of access and visibility, both of which Criterion is very adept at fashioning in the marketplace and the cinema nerd landscape. But there are certainly many great films outside of the impressive Criterion umbrella. How many of those the virgin viewer will find and potentially add to their personal lists is the question.

But, it's all good, Homies. As you were.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And I still have just one of my selections on the MoFo list, thus far: The Battle of Algiers (which, yes, for the record, is part of the Criterion Collection). Though Red Beard and Repulsion were both on my list of fifty or sixty before I pared it down to twenty-five.

I've not seen Red Beard. It's just one that has slipped past me, but I look forward to correcting that oversight. I love the raw energy of the budding director about to embark on an impressive career that is so evident in Breathless, but it wasn't on my list. Still nothing of mine has shown up yet, and I'm beginning to realize there's a good chance a couple I thought were certain locks might not make it at all. We'll see.

Seen both but voted for Kurosawa (naturally). Red Beard was an excellent final film for Kurosawa and Mifune. A tale of learning humility and humanity for the less fortunate. It was my number 13

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. ?
15. ?
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Seen 14/42

I've got eleven films on my list that are available through Criterion Collection, but at least three I was familiar with going back to the 70s or 80s, and aren't exactly obscure films, while others I watched through recommendations or because of the director. I'm not sure how it suddenly became a bad thing to have a Criterion Collection title on your list.