George Lucas and his career

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Warning: unpopular opinion ahead.

Having seen all films he has directed, which isn’t many, I am convinced his prowess as a director is inflated.
Yes, we have Star Wars, and that is a bonafide classic to me, but other then that only THX-1138 comes closest. American Graffiti is a good film, but slightly overrated. I recognize it has its defenders, however.
And say what you will about the prequels, they were enjoyable for what they were. Warts and all.
So really, he has 2 films. Maybe 3 depending on the person.
Has ever a director accomplished so much on so little and is it mostly on his reputation rather then his actual ability?
He isn’t a bad director, but he wasn’t really great either.
Star Wars worked mostly on the story, the universe, and the characters.
Anyone else has similar feelings towards him?

George Lucas hasn't really directed all that much has he besides some of the Star Wars movies? Personally I could care less about the Star Wars franchise. The first Star Wars was fun and obviously so successful that it changed the face of Hollywood movies (for better or worse). But besides Star Wars he's directing credits are pretty bare. His real strength seems to be as a writer and not a director. Just look at his IMDB page he has a lot of writing credits. But IMO his one masterpiece of film making is American Graffiti. Why? Read my review American Graffiti

The trick is not minding
George Lucas hasn't really directed all that much has he besides some of the Star Wars movies? Personally I could care less about the Star Wars franchise. The first Star Wars was fun and obviously so successful that it changed the face of Hollywood movies (for good or bad). He's real strength seems to be as a writer and not a director. But IMO his one masterpiece of film making is American Graffiti. Why? Read my review American Graffiti
Correct. He hasn’t directed much. And contrary to what most believe, he didn’t direct Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.
I know American Graffiti has its defenders, but I didn’t get into it as much as others.
It’s good, not great.
(Sorry Citizen Rules) 😜

Much of his reputation really depends on his "creative producer" position with Star Wars and the Indy films, something that's very hard to quantify.