24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I hope to have 2 reviews up within a few days. Every time I start a movie, something comes up. Started In A Glass Cage, then had to go to my daughter's. Again started Aniara but something came up. I will finish Aniara and restart In A Glass Cage soon.

I want to be clear, Aniara wasn’t a “bad” film. It just couldn’t overcome its shortcomings despite great special effects and an interesting premise.
Yeah, that's where I stand on the film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
just finished The Man From Nowhere. I do believe this is the third time I've seen it. I'm a HUGE fan of South Korean films and this is a d@mn good one.
Should be getting a review up tomorrow evening.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Aniara

I like how eager and bold this movie was, even if I feel like I didn't catch everything. It certainly seems like one of those films where it's hard to digest it all in one viewing, which could ultimately hurt it's chances of a strong rating. I feel like this is something that I will want to jump back to sooner rather than later, so for that I think it's a really solid nomination by @Thief

I think that the world of outer space is one that just intrigues me more and more in the film world and this one is really no different. I feel like it did pick into a bit of elements from other movies (most notably, had a lot of Kubrick vibes) and I thought that was pretty cool. The sex scene reminded me a bit too much of Eyes Wide Shut and felt a bit disturbing, although I'm sure that's the type of tone it was going for.

It will never be a favorite, but I liked the chances that the film took. It's not a film that depends upon great acting and I've seen that can ultimately be a challenge in trying to achieve universal likeness in film. But it did it's job in keeping me glued even if I didn't think it was a masterpiece. I can easily see why one would really like the film and I hope it works for a few others here. Pretty decent is where I'll have it land.

+

Aniara (2018)

This was a cool nom. The kind of nomination that makes these HoFs interesting. But as appreciative as I am for the nom, I also have to be honest in my review...

I love sci-fi and not just the big budget, glossy CG Hollywood stuff. Actually I prefer my sci-fi to be varied and I do have a fondness for indie sci fi. I don't know the budget of Aniara but it felt like a smaller budget indie film. So I didn't have a problem with the spaceship even though it looked more like a modern shopping mall than a spaceship. We often rank on the overuse of CG and so I can't complain that the real sets didn't look sci-fi enough. I was fine with them.

The first 30 minutes held my attention. In fact I was never bored during the movie and that's a good thing. But once the space accident happened the story then went a half dozen different ways. These story mini arcs were never fully realized or gelled into the main story and so I was constantly disappointed in what never was brought to fruition.

I read that this was based on a 1956 Swedish poem. I'm guessing the film makers felt obligated to be true to the poem. But I never read the poem so I ended up feeling unconnected from the story.

There were cool story aspects that I wanted explored like: The probe they recover, that supposedly contains needed fuel and yet they can't access the hull of the probe. That seemed to be key to the story and yet just when the probe arc got interesting, the film moved onto another chapter. I think those chapter stories are the main weakness of the film. Maybe if this had another hour we could've learned more about the food shortages, the loss of moral, the religious cult group and the authoritative captain of the ship.

Speaking of the religious cult, the orgy scene seemed to be put into the film for box office draw. I kinda hate films that have to include something extra controversial in a 'hey look at this' manner. It seems like 'carnival side show film making'.

So this might sound like I hated the film, but it was a positive film watching experience, which allowed me to think about the movie quite a bit and for that I say good nom

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_fe95295c8d79be4f31ed7b7219242727.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	71273  

I'm not so sure orgy scenes are for box office draw. I'm not a fan of them either, but just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's done for money. The first two movies that come to mind are Midsommar and Eyes Wide Shut. Hardly known for their box office prowess.

I'm not so sure orgy scenes are for box office draw. I'm not a fan of them either, but just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's done for money. The first two movies that come to mind are Midsommar and Eyes Wide Shut. Hardly known for their box office prowess.
I agree actually. Box office draw isn't the best way to describe what I was trying to relay. What I mean is: when a film includes something controversial which then gets it attention & press coverage. We had Pretty Baby in one of these HoFs and I liked the movie but there was one scene that seemed to be placed in the film for maximum notoriety, which made Pretty Baby noteworthy, when otherwise it might have been all but forgotten.

Back to Aniara...then again the Swedish did 'invent' Swedish Erotica, so maybe in Sweden it's just a du jour scene.

*Midsommar and Eyes Wide Shut...I've not seen them.

I agree actually. Box office draw isn't the best way to describe what I was trying to relay. What I mean is: when a film includes something controversial which then gets it attention & press coverage. We had Pretty Baby in one of these HoFs and I liked the movie but there was one scene that seemed to be placed in the film for maximum notoriety, which made Pretty Baby noteworthy, when otherwise it might have been all but forgotten.

Back to Aniara...then again the Swedish did 'invent' Swedish Erotica, so maybe in Sweden it's just a du jour scene.

*Midsommar and Eyes Wide Shut...I've not seen them.
I get you. I'm on the fence about it because I do like effective provocation. I definitely have a moral objection to hardcore sexual stuff though, that scene definitely went over that line for me.

I'm glad that Aniara has managed to spark conversations one way or the other. That's more or less what I was going for with the nomination. I almost rewatched it yesterday, but went with something else. Maybe I'll see it tonight.

I'm glad that Aniara has managed to spark conversations one way or the other. That's more or less what I was going for with the nomination. I almost rewatched it yesterday, but went with something else. Maybe I'll see it tonight.
It sure has. A couple mofos said it yesterday, and I will also say I didn't hate the movie.

I get you. I'm on the fence about it because I do like effective provocation. I definitely have a moral objection to hardcore sexual stuff though, that scene definitely went over that line for me.
I haven't got to that scene yet but I'm sure it's not going to bother me.. Nothing anymore bothers me..

The trick is not minding
Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting film. The fall of the mini society they create and the cult that springs up were highlights.

Aniara
(2018)
Nominated by @Thief

In the distant future, the world has gone into a state of destruction. Mars has been colonized and a group of people is on their way when they are knocked off course by stellar trash. With no way to get back to Mars, they find a way, a "society", within the spaceship. They use a program called "Mima" to bring back memories and visions of Earth.

I thought this was an interesting watch, especially since it's a Swedish film. The unfortunate thing is that, at some point, they will remake it into an American film. That's what Hollywood does to these types of Sci-fi films.

I could imagine the unending and unknowing darkness of the Universe and that it may never change,

Thanks to Theif, I have another Nordic cinema under my belt. It is a memorable film and will be one to suggest to friends who enjoy this type of film.

WARNING: "spoiler/opinion" spoilers below
I personally thought the captain of the ship was a d**che bag.

Beasts of the Southern Wild

This was my second time watching this and unfortunately I feel the same way.

I get excited at first because I find the locale so fascinating and real. I want Hushpuppy to deal with this world and her father, and she does, but then the fantasy element contradicts everything I like about it and I just don't care about the story anymore. That's my big problem, I just lose interest. It's too bad because I love the look and the performances. The beasts would be super cool ripping people apart in a horror movie.

I can definitely understand why some people love this film but it's just not for me. Sorry Neiba but it will probably still do well.

Barry Lyndon (1975)

Kubrick is a director I've always felt lukewarm about. I don't hate any of his films (that I've seen), but neither do I love them. To me, it feels like he's more about technical prowess and innovation than stories and characters. Barry Lyndon is probably my favorite Kubrick, but it still has a chunk of his usual issues.

Barry Lyndon's concept is good, and I should read the book at some point, too (according to some reviews I read, Kubrick made lots of changes that, to me, seem bad). Sets, locales, and costumes look terrific, and for the most part, the film is very pleasing to the eye. I don't know if it's because of the lighting issues, but there are scenes (interior mostly) with haphazard composition/framing (like the camera is just planted at a random point without care). These slightly taint an otherwise beautiful movie.

The biggest issue is Barry himself, or perhaps Ryan O'Neal doing the role. He's completely flat and lifeless, as charming and warm as a dead fish. I can't even fathom how he seduced Lady Lyndon in mere six hours. It's hard to imagine a rogue and a fortune-hunter with less charisma. In addition, he's way too old at the beginning (it's cringy when people call him a schoolboy). This isn't the first time I have an issue with Kubrick's lead actor (I'm pretty sure I touched the subject in my review of The Shining a couple of years ago).

As a whole, the film lands firmly on the positive side still. Fascinating story, dry humor, great use of the period, and a perfectly fitting classical soundtrack make it a good film in my books. Even the omniscient narrator can't ruin it, despite the effort, especially during the second part. If only all Kubricks were this good.

I rewatched Aniara today, but it's late so I'll save any write-up for tomorrow. I do want to say, re: the orgy scene, I didn't think it was that graphic or that long. Anyway, I wasn't bothered by it then or now, but that's me.