Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Here was my take, which seems very much in line with yours. Hopefully more people will check it out after The Florida Project starts making some waves (and I do like how both films are seemingly so different in terms of technique/pacing/etc. and yet so fundamentally similar).

Gone Girl -

(David Fincher, 2014)

[REWATCH]

Fincher's style is irresistible. Definitely a director's director.

May -

(Lucky McKee, 2002)

[REWATCH]

Angela Bettis gives one of the great horror performances of all-time here.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Tangerine -

(Sean Baker, 2015)

[NEW WATCH]

I’ve noticed sometimes I get really inspired by a director before I’ve even seen what exactly has inspired me about their work or process. Perfect example: Sean Baker and his use of the iPhone for filming Tangerine. It has been one of the main inspirations for my own iPhone filmmaking as of late, even though I had never seen the movie.

I figured I would like it anyway, because I have seen Baker’s most recent flick The Florida Project, which is an awesome movie. Baker’s definitely an idiosyncratic modern auteur if ever there was one, and I hope Tangerine represents the beginning of a revolution in guerrilla filmmaking.

In interviews Baker has talked about how the film, in retrospect, couldn’t be made with anything but the iPhone. And I agree. It becomes such an integrated part of the aesthetic that you become drawn into the world, and had you known about what it was shot on prior to watching, you completely forget after a while. Baker has done what might have been unthinkable before: he made a movie where being shot on a phone enhances the film, not detracts from it.

It’s entertaining and well-crafted throughout, but becomes downright stunning during the last twenty minutes. The Donut Time scene is so amazingly choreographed and full of energy that it gives an old Jackie Chan action flick a run for it’s money. Of course I realize a scene where bunch of people argue might not appeal to everyone, but the way everything is staged, edited, etc. - the way it cuts between the various characters in a way that flows so naturally - is pretty brilliant. After that climactic scene, you get hit with an emotional gut-punch that lingers until the end and reveals what the film is really offering.

The final scene, and I could even condense that to the final shot, is a brilliant summation of what good narrative filmmaking is in my eyes. The smaller, quieter character moments you don’t need many words for. A bond between two friends had just been temporarily broken. So sit them down and amplify who they are on the inside - and how both those cores connect to one another.
I hadnt heard of this for some reason but looks really good. Will check it out.

Creep -

(Patrick Brice, 2014)

[NEW WATCH]

Absolutely not trying to be negative about it because I genuinely feel like I'm missing something, but can someone explain what sets this movie apart from others like it? I definitely enjoyed it, but I didn't see what made it so interesting/unique and why it has gotten such acclaim. That could easily be a fault of my own - which is why I ask.

Creep -

(Patrick Brice, 2014)

[NEW WATCH]

Absolutely not trying to be negative about it because I genuinely feel like I'm missing something, but can someone explain what sets this movie apart from others like it? I definitely enjoyed it, but I didn't see what made it so interesting/unique and why it has gotten such acclaim. That could easily be a fault of my own - which is why I ask.
Mark Duplass is brilliant in the movie, very memorable and creepy. There's no real point in it where the main character is holding the camera when he shouldn't. Also it's just an overall very entertaining film.

I guess the Creep franchise is like the Saw franchise. The films are kinda s*it but everyone loves them.