Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Went out and rented Scrooge. Double dvd set that comes with the 1935 version with Seymour Hicks as well. Back to back viewings to follow this week after I get home from celebrating my Bday
HAPPY B-DAY WYLDE!!!!

I don’t think it was punishment, so much as he gave Jack a chance to change his life. Deep down, Jack knew he was lonely. Cash sensed it. He wanted, for the kind gesture Jack had done (“You did a good thing, Jack.”Was his quote), show him what he was missing.
Especially after Jacks boast about having it all.
I think Cash’s responses are in line with anyone dealing with assumptions about them. And just a rebuke and nothing more.
Strange how thought provoking it ha and one though, for a Nic Cage film.
I agree again with you I don't really think it was about punishment either. I was just throwing that out there as speculation.

Though I had an idea for an alternative ending (another one)!

Jack rushes to the airport (and that scene plays out as before.) We then see them having dinner in semi silhouette (as before). But then....the dinner scene fades out and the camera fades in on Jack lying on the city sidewalk, bleeding from a gunshot would inflected by Cash. It's clear he's dying. We see misty, half focused images of his kids and wife as his life that could've been 'flashes before his eyes'...Then those images slowly fade out to black as he dies.

OK, that might be to dark for a Christmas movie!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped with work. I'm guessing Cash's purpose for showing Jack a glimpse of the family life he never had, was that Jack had shown kindness to Cash by buying the lottery ticket and then giving him career advice. Jack says that 'he has it all', and he's not bragging he truly believes he has it all. So Cash gives him a glimpse, showing Jack what he has missed in life.

But was that glimpse a gift? Or was it more of a punishment? Yes Jack ends up happy with his kids and family. But in the end, like Suspect said, those kids are gone forever and so is that family life.

It could be said that Cash 'punished' Jack by giving a glimpse of something he could never really have. In the beginning of the film when Jack and Cash are on the street, Cash does point a gun at Jack and ask him if he wants to die. And Cash does seem outraged when Jack suggested that Cash could work hard and make something out of himself. So maybe the glimpse was payback? If the ending had been darker it might be viewed as payback.

What do you guys think?

I don't think it was punishment. I think it was more of a gift. By giving him a glimpse of what he's missing in life, he also gave him a chance to correct that, and fix his priorities, and hopefully eventually get that kind of family life.

Went out and rented Scrooge. Double dvd set that comes with the 1935 version with Seymour Hicks as well. Back to back viewings to follow this week after I get home from celebrating my Bday
Thank you!*
Actually tomorrow, just celebrating today/tonight at friends.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas
(1966)
Directed by Chuck Jones and Ben Washam

The story of a creature who lived high on a mountain named The Grinch. The Grinch had a small heart and hated everything. He was selfish. He envied the people who lived at the bottom of the mountain called The Whos. Every Christmas the Whos were loud and enjoyed their presents. The Grinch despised this. They ate their wild beast and at the end of their Christmas celebration, they gathered around the Christmas Tree in the center of town and sang. Oh this really irritated The Grinch. He decided this year, they would not enjoy their gifts and they would not eat their wild beast and would not sing the dreaded song. He disguised himself as Santa Claus and with the help of his dog Max, dressed as a reindeer, he would steal everything on Christmas eve. He believed in the morning, he would hear the woeful cries of the Whos, as everything Christmas would be gone. But to his surprise, when The Whos woke Christmas morn, they gathered at the center of town and began to sing their Christmas song.

Welcome Christmas come this way
Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome Christmas, Christmas day
Welcome, welcome fahoo ramus
Welcome, welcome dahoo damus
Christmas day is in our grasp
So long as we have hands to clasp
Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome Christmas bring your cheer

The Grinch seeing the Whos singing, without anything related to Christmas, had a change of heart. They say his heart grew three times as large. Due to the warmth he felt, he returned all of the Christmas items to the Whos and joined in the celebration. He learned it wasn't about the gifts that were given and received but about something a bit more.

The creature I felt the saddest for was The Grinch's dog, Max. Max was a happy dog no matter how the Grinch felt.

This is a holiday classic and a bit older than me. I saw this every year growing up. I always enjoyed it. Dr. Seuss had always put silly words and silly rhymes in his stories.

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas
(1977)
Directed by Jim Henson
Music by Paul Williams
Based on the book by Russell Hoban

The story of Emmet Otter and his mother he calls "Ma". They scrape by day to day as Emmet's father, "Pa" is deceased. Emmet earns money doing odd jobs with the tool chest Pa left him. Ma does laundry to earn money. One day, while in the town of Waterville, Emmet and Ma walk past a music store. Emmet admires the guitar with a pearl inlay. He tells Ma that that's what he would like for Christmas. They talk of the past of Ma and her piano. While in town, they notice a group of creatures that Ma calls "Hoodlums".

Emmet learns from his friends there is a talent contest in Waterville on Christmas Eve and they would like Emmet to play washtub base, which means Emmett needs to put a hole in Ma's washtub. Ma learns from her friend Hetty about the contest but contemplates hocking Emmet's tool chest to buy material to make a new dress.

Christmas Eve morning, Ma and Emmet, each leaves the other a note to explain the washtub and the tool chest. While Emmet and his friends practice, they hear the sounds of a snowmobile outside, and it's the "Hoodlums" that Ma and Emmet saw in Waterville. Emmet's friend explains they are practicing for the Waterville Talent Contest.

Christmas Eve night, Ma and Emmet and his friends, each perform but at the last minute there is a new entry into the Talent Contest which turns out to be the "Hoodlums" from Riverbottom. They perform a rock song and win the contest.

As Ma and Emmet and his friends were leaving the talent contest they run into each other and decide to walk home on the frozen river. As they walk, Ma discusses how the two songs, each sang and perform would go together and they perform in front of Doc Bullfrog's nightclub. Doc and a few other patrons take notice and offer them to play nightly.

I had this book when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I was excited when I found out that Jim Henson Creature Shop was creating this as a holiday special. I watch this any time of the year, not just Christmas. I love how Henson's Creature Shop created each woodland animals for this show. One of the most memorable things about this is the songs. They are cute and funny.

The Bathing Suit She Wore:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
(1965)
Directed by Bill Meléndez

Charlie Brown feels left out. No one sent him a Christmas card and he just feels downright sad through the holiday season. He seeks advice from Lucy, who decides Charlie Brown should direct their holiday play. No one whats Charlie Brown as the director because they all see him as a loser. Charlie Brown notices all the commercialization of Christmas around him and feels down even more. Charlie Brown suggests a Christmas tree and Lucy send him to buy an aluminum tree but he and Linus bring back what looks like a barren natural tree. Lucy is upset with Charlie's tree and laughs at it and walks away. Charlie becomes upset as well and ask if anyone really knows what Christmas is about. Linus goes on stage and recites the Christmas story of Christ's birth. Linus says "That's what Christmas is about, Charlie Brown!" Charlie takes the tree home and decorates it, which begins to droop from the weight of the ornaments. His friends feel bad and help with the weight of the tree and decorations. They all begin to sing.

I watched this a lot growing up. I haven't seen it for years. Its a good Christmas show but not my favorite.

The trick is not minding
MG is really into the Christmas Spirit!
I’m on my way home finally, and once I’m home (11pm about) I plan on watching both the 1935 and 1951 version of Scrooge. Tonight and tomorrow.
Then I’ll be done.

MG is really into the Christmas Spirit!
I’m on my way home finally, and once I’m home (11pm about) I plan on watching both the 1935 and 1951 version of Scrooge. Tonight and tomorrow.
Then I’ll be done.
Yes, MG has got the spirit alright I also have Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol, then I'll be done. I really thought I'd watch more Christmas movies but I've been soooo busy with work.

The trick is not minding
Yes, MG has got the spirit alright I also have Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol, then I'll be done. I really thought I'd watch more Christmas movies but I've been soooo busy with work.
Yeah, I feel you in work. Thankfully this week is a short week for me. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are both set aside for movie watching.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas
(1966)
Directed by Chuck Jones and Ben Washam

The story of a creature who lived high on a mountain named The Grinch. The Grinch had a small heart and hated everything. He was selfish. He envied the people who lived at the bottom of the mountain called The Whos. Every Christmas the Whos were loud and enjoyed their presents. The Grinch despised this. They ate their wild beast and at the end of their Christmas celebration, they gathered around the Christmas Tree in the center of town and sang. Oh this really irritated The Grinch. He decided this year, they would not enjoy their gifts and they would not eat their wild beast and would not sing the dreaded song. He disguised himself as Santa Claus and with the help of his dog Max, dressed as a reindeer, he would steal everything on Christmas eve. He believed in the morning, he would hear the woeful cries of the Whos, as everything Christmas would be gone. But to his surprise, when The Whos woke Christmas morn, they gathered at the center of town and began to sing their Christmas song.

Welcome Christmas come this way
Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome Christmas, Christmas day
Welcome, welcome fahoo ramus
Welcome, welcome dahoo damus
Christmas day is in our grasp
So long as we have hands to clasp
Fahoo fores dahoo dores
Welcome Christmas bring your cheer

The Grinch seeing the Whos singing, without anything related to Christmas, had a change of heart. They say his heart grew three times as large. Due to the warmth he felt, he returned all of the Christmas items to the Whos and joined in the celebration. He learned it wasn't about the gifts that were given and received but about something a bit more.

The creature I felt the saddest for was The Grinch's dog, Max. Max was a happy dog no matter how the Grinch felt.

This is a holiday classic and a bit older than me. I saw this every year growing up. I always enjoyed it. Dr. Seuss had always put silly words and silly rhymes in his stories.

I just watched the 2018 version of The Grinch with Benedict Cumberbatch as The Grinch. It's a much lighter version of the story. It shows The Grinch as someone who just hates Christmas, but he's not as mean as he is in most other versions. He even visits the Whos town often, so they're not afraid of him, and he treats Max lovingly, like a real pet. It's a much more "family friendly" version of the story.

I know how you feel. I've been so busy working that my DVR is almost full. (If I don't start clearing some movies off of the DVR soon, I think Hubby might start deleting stuff before I get a chance to watch them. )

I think I only have to watch my own nom for this HoF, and then I'll be done, so hopefully I'll get to it in the next few days.