The Wire

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Wow, this thread had a resurgence during the exact weekend when I was moving house, and I completely missed the talk. I LOVED this show - the writing (the dialogue, situations, characters, themes), the acting, the grit and humor and pathos. It's almost silly to compare other television to it, it's that elevated in scope and accomplishment from everything else out there.

Finished seasons 2 and 3. For me the 1st season is still the best. The second one was good, but took too long to get things moving. The last few episodes of the 3rd season were really intense, but I think it spent too much time on the hamsterdam stuff.

Looking forward to the next two.

Yeah, it's only the last 3 or 4 episodes of season 3 that make that season. Wood Harris is mesmerising.

Ok just got done with season 4. ****in' hell, what a heartbreaking season! Seriously guys, this is possibly the most important television series in recent memory, and that's saying a lot. Not since Buffy have I seen a television series go beyond it's possibilities and rise above it's ambitions. Incredible stuff, seriously.

I think I might have to make another thread stating just why everybody HAS to watch The Wire. The phrase is overused, but this really is a MUST SEE.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I was in my local HMV today and they've got the complete box set....for 100 quid.

David Simon is appearing at an arts festival in Belfast at the end of the month and I'm seriously tempted at going down.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Absoloutly amazing show, the writing is brilliant and it just seems so realisitc. Also, the characters in it are so well developed and thought out. Omar Little has to be one of my favourite characters from any show. It's up there with Sopranos as one of the best shows i've ever seen.

downthesun's comment about Omar made me wonder; Is there anyone out there who's favourite character isn't Omar?

Obviously the answer is yes, but IMO, there's just no competition for that title. Of course, I once asked a similar question about Ross in Friends (Does anyone like Ross?) as was a little taken aback by just how many people said that, not only did they like the character, but he was their favourite. It just didn't seem possible to me. Opinions huh?

Bunk, Rawls, Bodie, Prop Joe, that stripper from, I think, season two (the girl who's just in one scene, in the changing room) and, of course, Brother Mouzone (yes, I had to look up how to spell it).

"That's real muscle"

I also love Freamon's lovely bandy legs and the way Daniels walks - he's like Robocop!

Yeah, I got love for The Bunk...

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
downthesun's comment about Omar made me wonder; Is there anyone out there who's favourite character isn't Omar?

Obviously the answer is yes, but IMO, there's just no competition for that title. Of course, I once asked a similar question about Ross in Friends (Does anyone like Ross?) as was a little taken aback by just how many people said that, not only did they like the character, but he was their favourite. It just didn't seem possible to me. Opinions huh?
All the ones Tacitus said and I'd add Bubbles, Daniels and of course Stringer Bell to that list. Made one of those facebook top 5 lists a few days ago for "Your favourite characters from The Wire" and it was hands down the hardest TV character list i've done, took me ages to narrow it down to a final five. In the end I chose Omar, Prop Joe, Bodie, Lester and Stringer Bell

Interesting, Honeykid. It's true that most people's fav character is usually Omar. Or Stringer Bell, whom I absolutely adore as well, especially since Idris Elba is from my town. But they certainly aren't my favourite characters. I think they are interesting, but my favourite character they most certainly are not. For me...it has to be Avon Barksdale and possibly Bodie after watching the events of season 4.

With Avon Barksdale it has more to do with Wood Harris' portrayal of him rather than the way the character is written. I think that the character is more complex than most people realise. If you look at how he gazes at other characters and his body language...he is telling a story. It's like the man doesn't TRUELY trust anybody and he's got this 'every man for himself' mentality that, in little moments, have conflicted with his obligation to reward those loyal to him and his community. It's one of the most exciting performances on the show for me.

JD Williams' Bodie is another interesting development. I absolutely HATED Bodie after the end of season one. And i'm sure you guys know why. But in season 4 I couldn't help but root for the little bad boy - a tough thing to say considering the stunt he pulled in season 1. That's why I don't get why people were all sad for Stringer Bell at the end of season 3. I mean, Stringer doesn't seek redemption the way that Bodie does in season 4. Williams has just got terrific instincts as an actor and pulled off quite a feat, man. Kudos to that kid.

I also love Freamon's lovely bandy legs and the way Daniels walks - he's like Robocop!

Yeah, I got love for The Bunk...

I've come to proper dislike Bunk, to be honest. Specially in the 4th season. Before he was just mildly annoying. But now he comes across as such a self righteous arsehole. He is a good detective and all that, but he seems to look down his noses at other people rather than give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus he never has to balls to challenge his superiors. He gives in too easily, unlike McNulty (another character I absolutely detest). But when it's somebody he feels he has a little of levearage on, he acts like a prick to them, i.e. Omar, Herc. I think he is a waste man, personally.

McNulty takes the piss, though. Seriously. And why does Dominic West get first billing while the other actors are listed alphabetically?? It's like he is a lead. He is part of an ensemble and had the LEAST screen time out of any of the main characters in season 4. Seems a bit unfair to me.

The thing I like about Bodie is watching a young actor grow (in terms of his craft, not physically) through the course of the entire story arc. I think he became the most believable actor in the whole show.

EDIT - I'm with you on Dom West, actually (The Bunk is too damned cool to criticise!). I got the feeling that the show had run out of ideas for his character by season three, hence the daft nonsense he gets up to in 5.

The thing I like about Bodie is watching a young actor grow (in terms of his craft, not physically) through the course of the entire story arc. I think he became the most believable actor in the whole show.

EDIT - I'm with you on Dom West, actually (The Bunk is too damned cool to criticise!). I got the feeling that the show had run out of ideas for his character by season three, hence the daft nonsense he gets up to in 5.

Oh jeez, McNutly getting longer screen time again, eh? ****in' hell. I might have to forward some of this supposed crap he gets up to in season 5. I seriously can't stand him.

But Tacitus, is you HAD to pick good McNulty moment, which would you pick?

And I don't blame you for making that rather bold statement on Bodie. I felt like I was watching a documentary when it came to his scenes, he is THAT believeable, you're right. And yeah, acting skill wise, Williams did grow now that I think of it. I'm rewatching season 2 on BBC 2.

Hmmm, I guess my problem with McNulty (and it's not a reflection on West as an actor) is that, of the main characters, he's the only real stereotype - the rough diamond, insubordinate cop.

His CSI work with Bunk (where the only word they say is 'f**k') in the apartment is probably my standout, but it went on a minute or two too long to be perfect.

Hmmm, I guess my problem with McNulty (and it's not a reflection on West as an actor) is that, of the main characters, he's the only real stereotype - the rough diamond, insubordinate cop.

His CSI work with Bunk (where the only word they say is 'f**k') in the apartment is probably my standout, but it went on a minute or two too long to be perfect.

Lol, I remember that! Yeah, that was a funny scene. I also liked how he told DeAngelo's mum about herself. She's was so selfish it's unreal. He told her what needed to be said.

And yeah, I see what you mean about McNulty. Too cliched. West is a decent actor but McNulty and Greggs are noticeably the weakest characters in the show. You've got me quite worried about season 5 now, Tac.

Oh, and what do you lot think of Major Rawls?? He, along with Lester, is the one I like the most from the 'good' side of the law. The way he delivers his lines, lol, pure awesomeness. I reckon he gets the best lines in the show. Still can't figure him out what his deal is. I'm sure I saw Lester and Rawls in that Damages show together the other day. It was interesting seeing them interact as slightly different characters.

Anybody else got love for Rawls?

As you say, he's got some of the best lines in the show.

He's got a really familiar face too - kinda like a young(er) Gene Hackman - but looking at his IMDB entry it seems John Doman has been in very little I've seen before The Wire. Mainly video games...

EDIT - I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'd expect to have seen someone of his age, confidence and presence to have been in more high profile roles. The world is full of good actors in need of a break...

As you say, he's got some of the best lines in the show.

He's got a really familiar face too - kinda like a young(er) Gene Hackman - but looking at his IMDB entry it seems John Doman has been in very little I've seen before The Wire. Mainly video games...

EDIT - I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'd expect to have seen someone of his age, confidence and presence to have been in more high profile roles. The world is full of good actors in need of a break...

Lol at video games! I thought you were joking aswell until I too looked up his filmography. Yeah, it's definitely a shame that there are so many quality actors out there that are underexposed.

And now that you mentioned it, yeah, he does resemble Gene Hackman quite a bit! That's probably where the familiarity comes from. I thought I recognised him in other films but, as you've pointed out, he ain't done much. Apparently he used to be in the Navy, which makes you wonder how he made the transition to acting.

Also, I have another question for you, Tac - and if this question is answered in season 5 then don't bother answering it - do you reckon that Avon would have ordered DeAngelo to be killed had Stringer Bell not done so?? Curious to know your answer to that..