The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It is all a bit of a tightrope walk but it is one we all walk together and the success of that does come down to having these conversations and expressing our views.

At the end of it all, General, in my experience has been both amazing and grueling and has allowed me to venture into places I wouldn't on my own. Some I'd rather have not, ever, but it doesn't lower their cinematic value and it does allow me the opportunity to get thrown in the deep end of film experiences and thereby grow, cinema-wise. Not to mention the payoff for the discovery of films I have come to love and respect or just simply needed to see and finally have, easily surpassed the ones I could have done without.

The trick is not minding
It comes down to whether you mean what you say about people nominating things they love and think that some others may really like. Like I said in the thread at the time, I was as disturbed by the child abuse in Antwone Fisher as what happened in In a Glass Cage. Moreso, honestly, because it was a thing happening to a real person and not part of a larger allegory.
This kind of stuff never bothers me because it’s not actually happening, although I do note it as a disturbing scene. Wether it’s a allegory or not, though, I’m not going to rationalize one as more disturbing than the other.

EDIT: actually, scratch that. I seem to remember being more disturbed by the depiction in Glass Cage.

I think people need to realize that participating in a Hall of Fame means you risk having to watch movies that make you uncomfortable and this is especially true when you join a general HOF. People trying to restrict what is and is not allowed is what led to my first hiatus from the HOF.

That said, any nomination that contains actual animal cruelty or that contains exploitative child nudity will get an automatic last place on my ballot.

I think people need to realize that participating in a Hall of Fame means you risk having to watch movies that make you uncomfortable and this is especially true when you join a general HOF. People trying to restrict what is and is not allowed is what led to my first hiatus from the HOF.

That said, any nomination that contains actual animal cruelty or that contains exploitative child nudity will get an automatic last place on my ballot.
Sorry if it seems like I'm derailing this thread, so I'm cool with dropping the discussion. Since most of us seem to be against restricting topics, I won't stand alone.

Regardless, though we haven't interacted a lot on this forum yet, glad to see you re-joining these Halls!

Regardless, though we haven't interacted a lot on this forum yet, glad to see you re-joining these Halls!
Well, you might not be so glad I'm back once I start actually reviewing the movies. Raul once called it the "Miss Vicky Hate Parade."

Well, you might not be so glad I'm back once I start actually reviewing the movies. Raul once called it the "Miss Vicky Hate Parade."
I better change my nomination to Quills then.

This kind of stuff never bothers me because it’s not actually happening, although I do note it as a disturbing scene. Wether it’s a allegory or not, though, I’m not going to rationalize one as more disturbing than the other.

EDIT: actually, scratch that. I seem to remember being more disturbed by the depiction in Glass Cage.
I think that your average movie watcher (by average I just mean most, not, like "average = pedestrian" or something) would be more disturbed by In a Glass Cage, as it is a more graphic portrayal.

My point was partly that for some people (me included) something being more graphic doesn't automatically equate to it being more disturbing.

But as a very sensitive soul myself, I have a lot of sympathy for people who don't want to watch things that cross their personal sense of "too much." I really, REALLY get it.

Let the night air cool you off
I nominated a pretty well-known, respected a film. But I love when something off the wall gets nominated. I wish more foreign films and more horror films got nominated. I think, say, Texas Chain Saw Massacre is better than most of the films that have won general hofs, but rarely does horror get nominated. I hate the idea of relegating it to only being nominated in its own category, because last I checked, it's also a film, so would fit in a film hall of fame.

By the way, as somebody who has been watching the thread and not really responding. I don't think this has gotten all that dramatic. It's good to get your feelings out there.

Also if anybody wants to PM me their nominations so I can start downloading buying them, I'd be cool with that. And I won't snitch on you for doing it.

I wish people would talk about and post short lists for feedback.

Part of me really wants to ruin your lives by introducing you guys to Allan King and his documentaries.