R.I.P. Peter Bogdanovich

Tools    

Awwww, crud.

R.I.P., Peter
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not a good way to start 2022...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Oh damn! One of my favorite film people. I've thought if I ever ran into any movie person and could talk to them I'd want it to be Peter Bogdanovich. Loved his films but more so his commentaries on DVDS and documentaries he did on film history. To me he book ends with Roger Ebert, I mean that with the most respect. Peter seemed like someone who loved movies, just like Roger did.

A true loss. A great thinker of film, director of at least two or three absolute masterpieces, and a whole bunch of weirdly interesting failures. An almost perfect resume.

That's sad to hear
Requiescat in pace Peter.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wanted to make a thread myself, but there is no faster than @mark f! You beat me to the punch, you did!

Great director. R.I.P.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

OMG, this year is not getting off to a good start....love The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon, Mask, and What's Up, Doc?. His career seemed to veer off course after Paper Moon for awhile, but he came out of the gates like gangbusters with some instant classics. I always have wondered how much his affair with Dorothy Stratten had to do with the downfall his career took. He did show her to very good advantage though in They All Laughed and I always wondered how far she would have gone if she had lived. He did put together a pretty solid resume though...RIP.

When I started watching the Sopranos (I was late as I didn't have HBO, but watched it a year or so after it ended on a friend's DVD set)... I thought the guy playing Dr. Melfi's colleague & Psychiatrist (Dr. Kupferberg) was just another actor with a familiar looking face I'd seen in a few other things before. I didn't realize till later it was Bogdanovich.

Did a little reading on his bio on IMDB - man, he had some baggage - everything from affairs with Cybil Shepard to being the boyfriend of Dorothy Stratton (over which her estranged husband killed her!) to later marrying Stratton's little sister!

R.I.P.

I'll show some love to Saint Jack, which features a great Ben Gazzara peformance and Bogdanovich himself playing a slimy CIA agent.

Hate to hear this one. Man. I'm in the middle of a podcast that TCM's Ben Mankiewicz did with Bogdanovich and it's just totally fascinating stuff. I had just watched The Last Picture Show again last week, only for the second time in my life. He indeed had a great list of films. Godspeed, Peter.

A true loss. A great thinker of film, director of at least two or three absolute masterpieces
Just out of curiosity, would you consider The Last Picture Show one of those masterpieces, hopefully?