2022 Golden Globe Nominations (Film)

Tools    

Here are the nominees in the film categories for the upcoming Golden Globe Awards. Winners to be announced January 9th.

BEST FILM, DRAMA
Belfast
CODA
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog

BEST FILM, COMEDY/MUSICAL
Cyrano
Don’t Look Up
Licorice Pizza
Tick, Tick...Boom!
West Side Story

BEST DIRECTOR
Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Lost Daughter
Steven Spielberg, West Side Story
Denis Villeneuve, Dune

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Mahershala Ali, Swan Song
Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
Will Smith, King Richard
Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
Kristen Stewart, Spencer

BEST ACTOR, MUSICAL/COMEDY
Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
Peter Dinklage, Cyrano
Andrew Garfield, Tick, Tick...Boom!
Cooper Hoffman, Licorice Pizza
Anthony Ramos, In the Heights

BEST ACTRESS, MUSICAL/COMEDY
Marion Cotillard, Annette
Alana Haim, Licorice Pizza
Jennifer Lawrence, Don’t Look Up
Emma Stone, Cruella
Rachel Zegler, West Side Story

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck, The Tender Bar
Jamie Dornan, Belfast
Ciarán Hinds, Belfast
Troy Kotsur, CODA
Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Caitriona Balfe, Belfast
Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
Ruth Negga, Passing

BEST SCREENPLAY
Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza
Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
Adam McKay, Don’t Look Up
Aaron Sorkin, Being the Ricardos

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Alexandre Desplat, The French Dispatch
Germaine Franco, Encanto
Jonny Greenwood, The Power of the Dog
Alberto Iglesias, Parallel Mothers
Hans Zimmer, Dune

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Be Alive”, King Richard
“Dos Oruguitas”, Encanto
“Down to Joy”, Belfast
“Here I Am (Singing My Way Home)”, Respect
“No Time to Die”, No Time to Die

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Encanto
Flee
Luca
My Sunny Maad
Raya and the Last Dragon

BEST NON-ENGLISH FEATURE
Compartment No. 6
Drive My Car
The Hand of God
A Hero
Parallel Mothers

NBC will not be broadcasting the Golden Globe Awards this year. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has been lambasted after a series of bombshell reports in The Los Angeles Times and The New York Times revealed financial and ethical lapses within a cloistered membership that had no Black voters. Many even returned their awards in the wake of the reports, including Tom Cruise as perhaps the most high-profile name. The H.F.P.A. has been trying to repair their image ever since, including adding new members of color. Whether that begins to repair the damage time will tell, but the ceremony will not be televised nor is it clear what kind of ceremony it may even be.

But, for what it is worth....those are their nominations in the film categories.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The trick is not minding
In The Heights deserved a nomination in best musical/Comedy.
Leslie Grace was also snubbed for her role in it.
CODA is also great!

I plan on seeing Don’t Look Up this weekend at the local cinema near me. (it’s actually showing!).

West Side Story either the same day or the week after. Maybe Belfast and Licorice Pizza if I can find the time, as well. If I can’t, I’ll wait until they either stream or come to DVD first.

The Power of the Dog and Tick, Tick…Boom are both on Netflix, and not showing at the cinema. (I’d prefer to see it in the cinema if possible)

The trick is not minding
Oh, also, The French Dispatch is finally showing at Warehouse Cinema in Frederick, but it’s a 30 min drive…..hmmm. I mean…I drove there plenty of times during the spring several times already….

I was surprised that Paul Thomas Anderson didn't get nominated for best director and that Maggie Gyllenhaal did get nominated. I'm happy that CODA got nominated for best picture, Lady Gaga got nominated for best actress, and Anthony Ramos got nominated for best actor. I don't think Tick, Tick Boom deserved a nomination for best musical/comedy though. In The Heights was a much better film and should have been nominated instead. My predictions in some categories:

Best drama- Power of the Dog
Best musical/comedy- West Side story
Director- Jane Campion
Drama actress- Kristen Stewart
Drama actor- Will Smith
comedy actor- Andrew Garfield
comedy actress- Rachel Zegler
supporting actress- Kirsten Dunst
supporting actor- Kodi Smit-Mcphee
screenplay- Licorice Pizza
Original score- Dune

The trick is not minding
I think best director comes down to between Branagh and Campion with Spielberg right behind them. The winner will emerge between those three.

Only sat through 3 of the 10 total Best Film noms so far, (let alone very few of any of the other catagories) and as such wayyy too early to have an opinion.

u forgot the tv series nomination aswell cause im hoping elizabeth olsen and paul bettany and wandavision to win golden globes, im hoping elzabeth olsen will win cause she deserves an golden globe award instead always the same people win every year like kate winslet etc i know kate winslet is my favorite people but elizabeth olsen deserves an golden globe she works so much working doing so many good films espcially MCU films even paul bettany he deserves it so im hoping these 2 will win instead of same people winning every year

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
So far seen:
  • CODA
  • Cruella
  • Dune
  • The Power of the Dog

I think, Cruella deserved a nomination for film.
As for The French Dispatch not been nominated for film, respectively Wes Anderson not nominated for a director and screenplay - that's a crime.

Good that Emma Stone is there for actress nomination.

When your a PTA fan and remain oblivious that he even has a new movie out, let alone being nominated. Slipping in my old age I tell you.

So far seen:
  • CODA
  • Cruella
  • Dune
  • The Power of the Dog

I think, Cruella deserved a nomination for film.
As for The French Dispatch not been nominated for film, respectively Wes Anderson not nominated for a director and screenplay - that's a crime.

Good that Emma Stone is there for actress nomination.
i agree loved cruella and emma stone deserves it aswell, hate when theres always the same people win every year

What’s so cringeworthy?
These awards need to be renamed, just like the oscars - to the best films, actors, actresses in the English language. It is just grim that every category contains mainly films that have been made in Los Angeles.

Why is there rarely (if ever) any actor or actresses who have given performances that are not in the English language nominated? Every single year, it's the same.

Which films would you have preferred?
Quo Vadis Aida, Petit Maman, Beginning, Servants, Dear Comrades, Song Without a Name, Titane.

Which have you seen?
Most of them. Not West Side Story or Macbeth

The trick is not minding
These awards need to be renamed, just like the oscars - to the best films, actors, actresses in the English language. It is just grim that every category contains mainly films that have been made in Los Angeles.

Why is there rarely (if ever) any actor or actresses who have given performances that are not in the English language nominated? Every single year, it's the same.

Quo Vadis Aida, Petit Maman, Beginning, Servants, Dear Comrades, Song Without a Name, Titane.

Most of them. Not West Side Story or Macbeth
I don’t think it needs to be. Does anyone here complain if the other countries avoid acknowledging American actors in their respective film awards?
It’s worth nothing that The oscars are only really the biggest awards in the US. Other countries have their equivalent, and in some cases, far kore covered.
This isn’t the film festivals (Cannes, Berlin, Venice) after all.

I don’t think it needs to be. Does anyone here complain if the other countries avoid acknowledging American actors in their respective film awards?
It’s worth nothing that The oscars are only really the biggest awards in the US. Other countries have their equivalent, and in some cases, far kore covered.

Yeah I don't get that at all...different film industries have different awards this is based on films released in the US market.

For me the fraud is having 5 directors in the SP category

That's just whataboutery. I doubt anyone here cares enough.

Yes exactly. Those seems to spread the awards around without pandering to one particular nation / language.

I've got no problem with the films that are nominated but lets not pretend that it's a global film award ceremony. Rename it and be done with it.

What is worse is the amount of gravitas and hold these and the oscars seem to have over the average filmgoer. Like these are the definitive films of the year. They're all made in one city!!! It's laughable.

The trick is not minding
Yeah I don't get that at all...different film industries have different awards this is based on films released in the US market.

For me the fraud is having 5 directors in the SP category
Right. And no one will ever agree with all of the nominations anyways, I usually take the nominations with a shrug, worth a few exceptions.
It’s always easier to point out what’s wrong than what they got right.

The trick is not minding
That's just whataboutery. I doubt anyone here cares enough.

Yes exactly. Those seems to spread the awards around without pandering to one particular nation / language.

And that simple deflection lacking perception. It’s perfectly fine to ignore countries that adhere to these same principles without raising an eyebrow, but somehow expect The US based awards to not? None of these movies really need any of these awards. Is Titane being ignored for a globe going to hurt its chances in its own countries? The average movie fan isn’t going to care.

This is why I put more stock in the film festivals, lately. Far more diverse, as we’ve both pointed out, and far more likely to yield a gem.