Is Die Hard a XMAS movie?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, but still they chose a surname that starts with 'Mc' similar to the directors own surname, and the directors name is still John. So I wonder, was that still intentional on the directors part because of the 'Mc' being similar?

Oh okay, but still they chose a surname that starts with 'Mc' similar to the directors own surname, and the directors name is still John. So I wonder, was that still intentional on the directors part because of the 'Mc' being similar?
Nah, I don't think McTiernan had much input on the scripting tbh.

Oh okay. But also, you are saying that Die Hard, which script is taken from the novel Nothing Lasts Forever, was proposed as a sequel to Commando? Isn't it strange to adapt a book to screen, that doesn't have anything to do with Commando, and then try to make it a sequel to it?

Oh okay. But also, you are saying that Die Hard, which script is taken from the novel Nothing Lasts Forever, was proposed as a sequel to Commando? Isn't it strange to adapt a book to screen, that doesn't have anything to do with Commando, and then try to make it a sequel to it?
It's how Hollywood works sometimes.

Think about it though... John Matrix in Commando does all that to save his daughter...

Then the sequel he's doing the same thing in a building to save his missus... it kinda fits the narrative for the character.

I mean, look at the Die Hard sequels.
They're based on books, novels and stories, that originally weren't connected at all. They were all their own things. Their own stories.
But repurposed to be Die Hard sequels.

McClane rolls off the tongue easier than Leland. I suspect that would have played a part in the name change.

I have a question about Die Hard that I was not able to figure out. In the book, the main character's name is Joe Leland but for the movie, they changed it to John McClane. I noticed that that name sounds kind of like the director's name John McTiernan. Did the director want to give the main character a name similar to his own, intentionally?
I have no idea, but since this post reminds me of the differences between the Die Hard book and movie, I might as well post this vid on the subject:

Oh okay thanks. I watched that video before, and it's good. But they never mention anything about if the name was the director's idea, inspired by his own name specifically though.

It's not a Christmas movies, but definitely an Xmas movie.

1st and 2nd are really xmas movies, checking the first one every year

Welcome to the human race...
This will be the hill I die on and get banned from this community for.

Before this exercise, whenever anyone was ever asked to define a Christmas movie, it was never “The second-best action movie in a franchise that happens to take place during Christmas”. See how that works?

You can say everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it’s like an opinion that “white is a color”.

I can never take anyone serious on trying to argue how this qualifies as a Xmas movie. No one, irl, if this had any stakes or ramifications on their well-being, would say yes.
Of course it was never "the second-best action movie in a franchise" because who calls it the second-best Die Hard?

But seriously, I would've thought that "takes place during Christmas" was enough because anything beyond that means you're going to have to outline your exact parameters for what does or does not count as a Christmas movie, which means you could eliminate certain confirmed Christmas classics as a result. Going by this logic, we shouldn't consider It's A Wonderful Life a Christmas movie because most of it consists of non-Christmas flashbacks from George's entire life and the third act (which is the only part of the film to actually take place at Christmas) could be contrived to happen at another time of year.

It's not a Christmas movies, but definitely an Xmas movie.
Someone got really mad at me on the YouTube comments section last year because I typed "X-mas" ... I was just trying to save time and space!

Someone got really mad at me on the YouTube comments section last year because I typed "X-mas" ... I was just trying to save time and space!

Die Hard is slick, larger than life, loud, dumb, and fun. It's X-mas.

I always liked the very ending of Die Hard (1988) with Vaughn Monroe singing "Let it Snow" as the credits begin to role.

Maybe this is also why I liked the very ending to Executive Decision (1996) - both end with the hero couple driving away in a car as a song starts and the credits come up - in Executive Decision the song is "It's Nice to Go Travelin'" by Frank Sinatra.

They are so similar, I have to assume E.D.'s ending was an homage to Die Hard.

For comparison:

Origin of Xmas is still Christian in origin and relates to the Greek word for Christ.

https://g.co/kgs/wjbUKa

Origin of Xmas is still Christian in origin and relates to the Greek word for Christ.

https://g.co/kgs/wjbUKa

The etymological fallacy is still a fallacy. Meaning is use and the use to which I am referring is the partial erasure which celebrates consumerism, family gathering, food, and lights.

The etymological fallacy is still a fallacy. Meaning is use and the use to which I am referring is the partial erasure which celebrates consumerism, family gathering, food, and lights.
Assuming an erasure is the fallacy at hand. It’s mistaking a cross for a lowercase t.

Never seen it but to me a christmas movie can be anything you like watching during the holidays. A film I just recently watched "El sur" has the holiday vibes to me even though christmas is never once mentioned.

Assuming an erasure is the fallacy at hand. It’s mistaking a cross for a lowercase t.

We could go the rounds on this, but who really cares?

Die Hard is a Christmas movie in the commercial sense of the term. If you're going to get precious about the etymology of the "X," then give it another name.