The Power of the Dog (2021)

→ in
Tools    

The Power of the Dog (2021)

If one is familiar with the Biblical quote: “Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog” (Psalm 22:20), or pays attention to the singular pertinent opening voice-over, then the ending twist in The Power of the Dog has been suggested.

Two brothers who own a Montana ranch --Phil (Benedict Cumberbatch), an intense and scruffy bully; and George (Jesse Plemons), the shy, mannered business tender of the ranch-- have a monkey wrench thrown into their well worn relationship when George falls for, and marries the widow Rose Gordon (Kirsten Dunst) who owns a frontier restaurant that is visited by the brothers and ranch hands during a cattle drive. George soon falls for and marries Rose, and brings her and her effeminate son, Peter (Kodi Smit-McPhee) home to the ranch.

Phil immediately resents Rose, and commences to try to ridicule and intimidate her. George is often away on business trips, leaving frequent opportunities for Phil to browbeat Rose. In addition both Phil and the ranch hands taunt Peter’s effeminate manor, activities, and clothes, although Peter seems content to ignore it. As a result of her predicament Rose takes to the bottle, and spends more time sheltered away in her bedroom.

However after awhile Phil suddenly takes an interest in Peter to the extent that he sets about showing him the ways of a cowboy in the manor that Phil learned from his deceased hero, Bronco Henry. Peter does learn to ride and wrangle, and takes some ranch survey trips with Phil. However Rose is suspicious and fearful that Phil has harmful intentions for Peter. Nevertheless her anxiety turns out to be unnecessary as the drama rolls into the final act.

To my taste the production excelled over the story. The facets that struck me most were the set design, costume design, and the cinematography of Ari Wegner. The picture didn’t quite rise to the epic level that the producers likely had in mind. Slow pacing in itself does not enhance nor promote majesty. Outside of the use of sweeping vistas and one scene of a large cattle drive, the picture was too confined to be a broad saga.

In truth the film has a similar atmosphere to There Will Be Blood (2007). There was the same underlying feel of dread and tension which was enhanced by Johnny Greenwood’s unusual musical score, who likewise scored TWBB. Also Phil’s character was reminiscent of Daniel Day-Lewis’ Daniel Plainview in that picture. In fact I’d love to have seen Day-Lewis in Phil’s part. He would have been more consistent and believable portraying a flaky bully who tries to wreck a marriage. Cumberbatch’s previous memorable portrayals of various dandies, homosexuals, tortured scientists, and the like were a negative drag on his believability in this part. He could have used more swagger in this role.

Kirsten Dunst was superb as the wife thrust into the middle of an emotional triangle, who is not able to bear the pressure or to change her situation. That it’s not possible for a teetotalling innkeeper to degenerate into a closet alcoholic in a few week’s time does not detract from Dunst’s excellent portrayal. We can feel her anguish as she’s thrust into an impossible conflict.

Likewise Jesse Plemons provided solid and believable work representing the brother who does not like confrontation, who just wants everything to work out, and who believes that his wife is much stronger than she is. Kodi Smit-McPhee shines as Peter, the delicate son who prefers art and the study of medicine. One of the important focus points in the story, he turns out to be different than we expect.

I haven’t read the 1967 book by Thomas Savage, so it’s unknown how closely screenwriter/director Jane Campion stuck to it. The themes that were featured in the book that were fresh in 1967 are actually somewhat trite in 2021, and seemed relatively familiar. Still, it must have been a complex project to distill a lengthy novel down to a two hour film. Campion chose her home country of New Zealand to represent Montana, which visually served the movie well. Her work doesn’t quite carry the punch of her Oscar winning The Piano (1993), but here her efforts have fashioned a watchable if not memorable film which will surely attract some awards.

Available on Netfilx.

Doc’s rating: 7/10

I felt a similar way as you did. A well acted, beautiful looking film but the story wasn't as compelling as it could have been. I felt it was a little too slow. I agree with your rating of 7/10. I think this will win at least two Oscars (director and adapted screenplay) and could very well win best picture.

I liked it maybe a lil slow but i did not see that thing comming near the end of the film was cool 7/10

Just watched it yesterday...a chilling, psycho-sexual drama that does take a little time to get going and does purport to go to a lot of dark places, but always backs away when it gets there. It reminded me of the Daniel Day Lewis movie There Will Be Blood. Benedict Cumberbatch was absolutely bone-chilling.

I thought it was pretty good - 7.5 out of 10. Very well shot, as are most films set in Montana. Nice little twist at the ending.

As for Oscars, it's all dependent on money not film quality, so if this film has distributors who have enough $$$ to keep it in the minds of the judges, it will win awards.

What's the Genre of this movie please?

Well, it's part Western, part Drama, if you ask me. Regardless, it is all great, genre nit-picking aside.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Thumps up for Benedict and the Climax was amazing. 8/10

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I liked this film a lot. I thought it was a little slow to start with a bit too much exposition, but it picked up and by the end I was riveted.

I did feel that sometimes the characters' motivations weren't completely clear - but it may have been that I wasn't paying enough attention. I know Rose was unhappy but she seems to take to drink pretty quickly after being against it at the start of the film, for example. But at other times the characters' ambiguous motivations are actually pretty essential to the film and the sense of not knowing which way it will go, so perhaps that was entirely deliberate.

Don't read spoilers if you haven't seen it, not knowing what will happen is part of what gives it such a powerful feeling.

WARNING: "The Power of the Dog" spoilers below

I see people refer to a 'twist' at the end, but I'm not sure it was a twist really. I thought the whole last section was a tension between whether they would shag or one of them would kill the other, and the ending just sort of answered that question. Maybe people who thought it was a twist just assumed the violence would be the other way around? I thought the whole section with the rabbit showed that Peter was not as delicate as he first seemed.

I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent in his role. And the film looked great. Almost a shame to watch it on Netflix instead of on the big screen.

The trick is not minding
I missed the opportunity to see this and Don’t Look Up at the theater, but I managed to see it on Netflix. Must concur with most of Thursday’s review.

A slow burn, for sure. Will probably watch it again.

Couple of comments that Rose couldn’t have become an alcoholic so quickly. Even if she said she never drank before, she may very well have done just that.

Strange to me that Campion flew Keith Carradine & Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under) to New Zealand & then gave them nothing to do.

Cumberbatch is the quintessential British actor with a voice to die for. But he was completely believable as a Montana ranch owner. An amazing transformation.

I thought the ending very clever & original. I had no idea what Phil was intending with the rope.

A slow burn, for sure. Will probably watch it again.

Couple of comments that Rose couldn’t have become an alcoholic so quickly. Even if she said she never drank before, she may very well have done just that.

Strange to me that Campion flew Keith Carradine & Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under) to New Zealand & then gave them nothing to do.

Cumberbatch is the quintessential British actor with a voice to die for. But he was completely believable as a Montana ranch owner. An amazing transformation.

I thought the ending very clever & original. I had no idea what Phil was intending with the rope.
Watched it again. Excellent movie.