The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Holy s***! How did I not realize until just now that you were the sixth Quills voter?! I love you, Ed!
That's because I didn't know until my most recent post when I was going through my list after missing some twenty entries.
I had originally posted that I didn't have it and was very much mistaken.

And I love you too, darlin.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That's because I didn't know until my most recent post when I was going through my list after missing some twenty entries.
I had originally posted that I didn't have it and was very much mistaken.

And I love you too, darlin.
Now we are giving pity points to Miss Vicky? For shame, Ed

gonna post list anyway

01. Visitor Q (2001)
03. Vital (2004)
04. I-Be Area (2007)
05. Noroi: The Curse (2005)
06. Noriko's Dinner Table (2005)
07. 3-Iron (2004)
08. Hana and Alice (2004)
09. Inland Empire (2006)
10. Tekkonkinkreet (2006)
11. Blue Spring (2001)
12. Cremaster 3 (2002)
13. Waking Life (2001)
14. Love Exposure (2009)
15. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
17. Dogtooth (2009)
18. Trash Humpers (2009)
19. Rehearsals for Retirement (2007)
20. Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006)
21. The Fountain (2006)
22. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
23. I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (2006)
24. Speed Racer (2008)
25. Funky Forest: The First Contact (2005)
I could be down with Speed Racer...and I'm curious what your 2 & 16 are.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, Speed Racer was actually in my original list probably around 18 or lower (score wise). I kinda hated this movie when it came out but it has grown considerably on me over the years. It's goofy as hell, but those effects are absolutely mesmerizing and nearly survived the cuts for them.

The trick is not minding
gonna post list anyway

01. Visitor Q (2001)
03. Vital (2004)
04. I-Be Area (2007)
07. 3-Iron (2004)
08. Hana and Alice (2004)
09. Inland Empire (2006)
10. Tekkonkinkreet (2006)
11. Blue Spring (2001)
12. Cremaster 3 (2002)
13. Waking Life (2001)
14. Love Exposure (2009)
15. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
17. Dogtooth (2009)
18. Trash Humpers (2009)
19. Rehearsals for Retirement (2007)
20. Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006)
21. The Fountain (2006)
22. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
23. I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (2006)
24. Speed Racer (2008)
25. Funky Forest: The First Contact (2005)
3-iron and Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and spring again are great.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Love Return of the King, but I only put one LOTR film on my list and it wasn't this one either.

Suspect's Reviews

14. Love Exposure (2009)
I wonder if we were the only ones who voted Noroi? I had it quite low on my ballot, but I can see it getting better on a rewatch. And those two Sonos have been on my watchlist for a while now, but I never seem to get around and actually watch them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I rewatched Zodiac for this countdown, and it's a great movie with great performances, but it didn't make my list.

I watched the LOTR trilogy for the Fantasy HoF, and while I enjoyed the whole trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was my least favorite of the three LOTR movies.

Love The Lord of the Rings trilogy, being a reader of the books long ago in the 70s and never daring to hope for a decent film version until Peter Jackson came along. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is pure cinematic awesomeness and sets at #2 on my list.

#2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 8
#3. The Dark Knight 10
#4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 15
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#15. Shaun of the Dead 20
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#20. Iron Man 83
#21. Finding Nemo 44
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The Return of the King was the only LoTR movie that didn't make my ballot. It's still good, but it's so much weaker than the first two parts. The liberties it takes with the story don't fit, and the endings take far too long.
Amen!

ROTK

The Good;

-Frod/Sam/Gollum ring conclusion, that's some epic death star throne room level stuff for sure.
-Theoden's speech and ride of the Rohirrim, rivals William Wallace speech!
-Lighting of the Beacons, if that isn't one of my favourite scenes of all time.
-Gandalf vs the Nazgul, the way it's filmed is spectacular, the way Gandalf turns to merge into the horse pack. Really the whole trilogy filmed horses on the move better than anyone before or since. Honourable mention for Gandalf's ride to Gondor!

The Bad.

-Having no characters in Gondor to help focus the battle, Faramir is wounded, Denethor is up in his tower being mad, which leaves us Gandalf and Pippin.
-Gondor being so weak, half the city is taken over. In the book only the witch king walks through the gates, and has to withdraw as Rohan shows up.
-Ending is a little drawn out.
-Little bit too much crammed in as a result of including the end of the 2nd book in the 3rd movie, especially with Sam and Frodo who breeze through Mordor.

The Ugly

-Battle of the Pelennor Fields being concluded by ghosts. Not how it happens in the book. It's a continual theme that the writers feel they have to make everything hopeless before a deux ex machina moment. I'd much rather see a hard fought battle with Mordor caught between Gondor Rohan and Aragorn's surprise ship force, than a "oh no it's so hopeless, then ghosts steamroll the whole thing"
-Gandalf's face off with the Witch King, one of the most amazing moments in the books, reduced to an embarrassing extended edition scene.

Now a lot of my complaints are essentially book reader criticism, and obviously any movie adaptation of something like this is going to bring many changes, and they don't get it all wrong, in fact they make many inspired changes and exclusions, but some of the ROTK changes fall very flat and seem so unnecessary.

7/10

The Good;

-Frod/Sam/Gollum ring conclusion, that's some epic death star throne room level stuff for sure.
-Theoden's speech and ride of the Rohirrim, rivals William Wallace speech!
-Lighting of the Beacons, if that isn't one of my favourite scenes of all time.
-Gandalf vs the Nazgul, the way it's filmed is spectacular, the way Gandalf turns to merge into the horse pack. Really the whole trilogy filmed horses on the move better than anyone before or since. Honourable mention for Gandalf's ride to Gondor!
If you're taking submissions, I'd like to append the scene where Pippin sings to Denethor to the good list.

The beauty and sorrow of the song, coupled with the imagery of the doomed ride into Osgiliath is heartbreaking. It also highlights how little Denethor cares about his son and other the men of Gondor, as he dispassionately and disgustingly shovels food into his mouth. It's my favourite scene in the entire trilogy.

I guess Holden unveil his stats post before you post again

Aww, so you're giving up in guesses already?