Documentaries

Tools    

No clue why I paid to stream this from Prime when I’ve already seen it. Nevertheless, it’s very enjoyable if you like animals.

The best documentary on 9/11 that I have seen. And I’ve seen them all. (Read the books too.)

So much footage that even I have never seen before. Such a day of evil.

Excellent documentary. Jacinta, who lives in Lewiston, ME, has a heroin addiction. She also dabbles in fentanyl. Her mother is a drug addict & her family is dysfunctional. She has been in & out of prison & has been incarcerated in the same prison where her mother is serving time. The documentary shows her trying to get off heroin in order to establish more of a bond with her 11 year old daughter who is 14 years old when the documentary ends. She seems determined to break the cycle of mother-daughter substance abuse.

I wish her luck.

I second this as a pretty good documentary, about a kinda, almost genius.
Have you seen the Gordon Lightfoot doc? Pretty good, but it didn't convert me into a fan, I'm afraid. Glad I watched it though. I did bristle when a few interviewees claimed that he was the first Canadian to gain widespread acclaim. Seems like we're ignoring a couple of big ones there, considering his first LP came out around the same time as Joni's and Buffalo Springfield was already a thing. Such is the way of docs, though, so I let it slide.

But yeah, interesting career, but I'm not inclined to dig much deeper as of now.

Have you seen the Gordon Lightfoot doc? Pretty good, but it didn't convert me into a fan, I'm afraid. Glad I watched it though. I did bristle when a few interviewees claimed that he was the first Canadian to gain widespread acclaim. Seems like we're ignoring a couple of big ones there, considering his first LP came out around the same time as Joni's and Buffalo Springfield was already a thing. Such is the way of docs, though, so I let it slide.

But yeah, interesting career, but I'm not inclined to dig much deeper as of now.

No, didn't even know there was one. Lightfoot is a guy who has a handful of songs I thing are great, but I've never really invested in his whole songbook. Not even in his prime years.

The notion that he should be considered before, or really even alongside of, Neil Young or Joni Mitchell or Leonard Cohen (all at least moving towards some kind of songwriting repute at the same time) is laughable. Maybe they have dates on the calendar to dispute me, but I'm not going to fret so much over a couple of hypothetical months (or even years) that I'm going to talk about Lightfoot before any of them.

Lightfoot is a guy who has a handful of songs I thing are great, but I've never really invested in his whole songbook. Not even in his prime years.
My first impression of him, back in the day, was that he had a terrible perm and he sang "Sundown". So I spent most of my life dismissing him as a cheesy one-hit guy. Even after I got older and learned that he enjoyed a certain amount of acclaim, he still had that stigma to get past for me. One benefit of the doc was that it reminded me that I've got a few covers of his songs that I like in my collection.

The notion that he should be considered before, or really even alongside of, Neil Young or Joni Mitchell or Leonard Cohen (all at least moving towards some kind of songwriting repute at the same time) is laughable. Maybe they have dates on the calendar to dispute me, but I'm not going to fret so much over a couple of hypothetical months (or even years) that I'm going to talk about Lightfoot before any of them.
One mistake the doc made was the decision to show Dylan footage in an attempt to illustrate that they were contemporaries. Chronologically they were, but Lightfoot's appeal can't help but decline when juxtaposed against '60s Dylan footage. I went from thinking "some of these songs are pretty good" to "ok, they're not THAT good".

Interesting, but they tried to cram way too many “adventurers” into the time allotted.

Ten years old, but highly relevant to what is happening today. We see the madness of a public hospital’s emergency room in California. Can only imagine the state of the emergency room during Covid.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've been watching random YouTube documentaries, and came across this and liked it so much I actually completed it!
Groups Who Protest Intermarriage

I've been watching random YouTube documentaries, and came across this and liked it so much I actually completed it!
Groups Who Protest Intermarriage
Given the history of the Jews acquiring a homeland, I can see the religious purists' point of view. Certainly their Arab counterpart feels the same way.

Men and women are of course free to marry whomever they choose in most of the world. But intermarriages can expect to get some grief.

Men and women are of course free to marry whomever they choose in most of the world. But intermarriages can expect to get some grief.
Not sure that’s true.

Why I enjoyed a documentary showcasing Cristiano Ronaldo’s fiancé is beyond me, but I did.

Quite a tearjerker. American girls who were abandoned by their Chinese parents. Very touching to see them visit China & reconnect with the “nannies” who took care of them in the orphanages. Sadly, none of the 3 girls found their birth parents. Though it could happen in the future now that they’re in the DNA data base.