Sharp Objects on HBO

Tools    

That brings me to another thing: Adora had that ivory floor upstairs that she wouldn't let people wear shoes in. Amma doesn't like people to mess with her replica of their house. I wonder if she has the ivory floor replicated with the dead girls' teeth?
Holy Moses, can’t believe you figured that one out.

What a finale! I had no idea what was coming down the pike.

Did you notice in the dollhouse (about 5 minutes before the end) the little figure with her legs handing outside the window just like the dead girl in the alley?

Someone told me that the little quilt Amma threw out was a gift from Mae? Sounds plausible since I could not figure out that little detail at all.

I need to re-watch the finale, but what a show!

Holy Moses, can’t believe you figured that one out.

What a finale! I had no idea what was coming down the pike.

Did you notice in the dollhouse (about 5 minutes before the end) the little figure with her legs handing outside the window just like the dead girl in the alley?

Someone told me that the little quilt Amma threw out was a gift from Mae? Sounds plausible since I could not figure out that little detail at all.

I need to re-watch the finale, but what a show!
Yeah, I kind of thought that they were showing Adora being all uptight about her ivory floor, then Amma being the same about the house replica for a reason. It was really just a passing thought, and I thought to myself "Naah." Who knew?

Nice catch on the figure hanging out the toy house replica. I saw it but it didn't click what it represented.

Since Saunch hasn't watched the whole thing I'll got to spoiler mode here...
WARNING: spoilers below
I had someone in my family that "theorized" early on that it was the daughter, Amma, doing the killings, but that was without any clues, just speculation thrown out there. So, it really threw me for a loop when she found the tooth and Amma said, "Don't tell Mama," as if that was all she was afraid of. Not afraid of going to jail, just didn't want to displease Mama. Shows you what a psycho Adora was to hold control on all these people and turn Amma and her young skater friends into killers. Because, during the credits, they showed those friends holding the girls down while Amma strangled them. Then they show Amma killing her new friend in St. Louis but they show that really quickly. I just can't figure out as to the "why" of it all, other than Adora twisted her daughter so much that she drove her mad, plying her with rat poison and antifreeze in the "blue liquid" she gave her. My guess is that the two girls she killed did something she didn't like. Wasn't Adora tutoring them? Or am I thinking about the skating girls? And then her new friend at the end was taking attention away from her by saying she wanted to be like Camille.
Anyway, that's my theory for what it's worth.

@Saunch should stay away from this thread. The show has ended & there are no spoilers for a show that is not in play. I didn’t post here for a week because I was afraid @Austruck was going to disclose something I didn’t know.

Adora didn’t make Amma a killer or her friends. Amma was the ringleader of her friends & they followed her without questioning. Amma was very jealous of Ann & Nathalie when Adora befriended them. That’s why she killed them. Then when she made her new friend in St. Louis that friend was taking attention away from her so she also had to go. Rather far-fetched, but there you have it.

Adora wasn’t a killer. She wasn’t trying to kill any of her daughters. She just wanted to be needed. Obviously she went too far with Marion. Remember how she panicked when she found Camille on the floor & shrieked for Alan to help her? She never wanted to kill her or Amma.

But she definitely had control over Amma, as you say. Remember the scene where she asked Amma if, in future, she wanted to do her own laundry, pay for her own clothes, etc., etc.? That was control.

The Adventure Starts Here!
WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
Remember also that, when Camille went out partying with Amma and her friends, it was clear they were also into drugs and drinking, so that's going to turn Amma into something other than her possibly normal self.

I hadn't made the connection with Amma also killing her new friend in St. Louis. That credits-scene was so quick and jumbled that I'd missed that and never tied it in with her mom asking Camille if she'd seen her. That right there should have been the biggest red flag for those of us trying to guess the ending...right up till the end.

I didn't *guess* it but I knew the pacing was WAY off for it to have just been Adora as the killer. There was too much denouement happening, and then when Vickery and Big City started just talking about Alan possibly helping with the teeth-pulling, I again thought it was strange to have this just being discussed as an afterthought---rather than finding out some better, more action-packed way. They had the pliers, though... and I never connected them with anyone other than Alan at that point.

But I just couldn't figure out the weird pacing or why there was still so much "show" left after revealing the killer.

And now I know why. I'm going to have to rewatch the finale and pick up on all the stuff you guys caught that I missed.

Well, some of the big reveal already happened last night, I assume. But I'll be curious to see how everything wraps up at this point. Some great acting by Adams again. And Clarkson is just nailing it too.
That’s why I was confused last week by your post after you watched the penultimate episode of the show. You gave the impression that it was all over now. I was thinking so that’s it, Adora is the killer? It made no sense since there was one more episode to come.

Don’t blame drugs & drinking for Amma being a serial killer. Most of the time she was stone-cold sober. She was a psychopath.

You have to watch the finale again like I did & don’t check out before the credits begin.

Amma was jealous of her new friend (who made the little quilt that matched Camille’s quilt) so she had to go. Camille found the quilt in the garbage, which caused her to look inside the house. Note Amma’s “blood splotches” top in the final scene.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm not sure I was blaming the drugs or alcohol. But certainly they didn't help and certainly they were their own red flags that should have made me/us focus on her more.

I saw that post-credits bit but since I wasn't focusing on it thoroughly, it zipped past and I knew I'd have to rewatch to really get it all. I definitely had NOT picked up on her jealousy of her new friend... at all. A rewatch will probably have me saying "Ah-haaa!" a lot.

"Luck don't live out here."
Haven't really participated in this thread while the show was airing, but now that it's over I just gotta say I never thought I'd love this so as much as I did. I didn't even know anything about it until maybe a week before the season began so my expectations weren't sky high, although I will admit when I heard it was based on a book written by the same lady who wrote Gone Girl I was very intrigued. That ending, my goodness. Very satisfying.

I've now bought the book and plan on reading it after I finish the two books I'm currently on. This by far my favorite show of the year and will probably end up as one of my favorite limited series of all time.

I definitely had NOT picked up on her jealousy of her new friend... at all. A rewatch will probably have me saying "Ah-haaa!" a lot.
Focus on the scene when they have dinner with Camille’s boss. Note the interaction between him & Mae.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Spoilers!

Just finished. What a great show. Binged watched it in a couple weeks. Lots of depth of character. Amma is a cold blooded psycho. Appreciate she had childhood trauma like Camille. Interesting comment stuck with me. The nurse talking to the detective said (about Camille) that people who enter rehab generally take their pain out on themselves which was Camille and her cutting - amma took her pain out on those girls.

I’m bit empty now it’s over. Any other shows like this with as much depth or close to?

I’ve watched and loved shows like oz, the wire, the sopranos, West world and game of thrones up to season 4 then it went downhill, stranger things, deadwood...

Edit: forget to mention s1 true detective which I adore.

Ozark on Netflix is totally brilliant.

Ditto Succession on HBO.

If you can bear subtitles, the Italian series Gomorrah is the best show I have seen in the past 2 years. Also on Netflix.

I’m bit empty now it’s over. Any other shows like this with as much depth or close to?

I’ve watched and loved shows like oz, the wire, the sopranos, West world and game of thrones up to season 4 then it went downhill, stranger things, deadwood...

I didn't see it, but seeing as Camo didn't watch past episode 2 because he couldn't be bothered with what he thought would be the same kind of thing, I'd say Top Of The Lake and then Top Of The Lake: China Girl.

I agree with Stirchley that Succession and Gomorrah are worth your time. Especially the latter.

I didn't see it, but seeing as Camo didn't watch past episode 2 because he couldn't be bothered with what he thought would be the same kind of thing, I'd say Top Of The Lake and then Top Of The Lake: China Girl.

I agree with Stirchley that Succession and Gomorrah are worth your time. Especially the latter.
Never heard of those so will set check them out. Sharp objects though I recommend, give it a few eps..maybe three.

Top Of The Lake and then Top Of The Lake: China Girl
Top of the Lake - excellent.

Top of the Lake: China Girl - absolutely atrocious & unwatchable. Such a disappointment.