Sharp Objects on HBO

Tools    

Man, the NYT sucks! That's beyond the pale when it comes to entertainment.

I loved how they showed half the crowd looking at different people. I do have some top candidates for the killer but I won't say, even in spoilers. One of my theories is pretty far-fetched anyway. I do wonder if something in the past actually happened the way someone remembered it happening. Hmm. I'm still floored by Amy Adams' acting. And Patricia Clarkson as her mom also.Y'all are right, that halfway stifled scream for Adams was phenomenal acting. Clarkson's Adora knows exactly what buttons to push on Camille. What a bee-yotch! When next year's Emmy nominations roll around, they'd better not be forgotten.

@cricket @Camo @Austruck @Stirchley

More before tomorrow night's show. In an interview with director Jean-Marc Vallée I read, I realized that I didn't know something that was right in front of me that's not a spoiler. When Camille goes into the rehab center and meets the teen girl, Alice, it's all a flashback. I didn't connect it. Alice shares her earbuds with Camille and later on, when Camille is driving in her car in her hometown, she's got Alice's earbuds, listening to music. Duh! Sometimes I can be dense in connecting the dots but then again, I love finding out something I didn't know and it gives extra depth to the show for me. But for the record, I thought Camille was still posted at Wind Gap but had to go to rehab because of the tension being back home was causing.

And then there is this part, part of which was a surprise to me, but Vallée mentions it and talks about it like it's not a spoiler. It's in the middle of a conversation about using certain music in the show and it deviates to this little bit of info into talking about Amma...
WARNING: spoilers below
..."It’s using the lyrics to tell your mom that you love her – and in this context, it’s pretty crazy, since she’s being physically, mentally and emotionally abused by her mother. But there is unconditional love from children to their parents even in abused situations."
I could figure that she was
being mentally and emotionally abused because that's what she did/is doing still to Camille, but I didn't know that Amma was being physically abused because we haven't really seen that yet. I can figure that Camille probably was in the past because her mother was probably the one who cut her hair, as that conversation was cut off.
Maybe the next few episodes will tell.

Comments?

EDIT:

Another question. Miguel Sandoval who plays Frank Curry, Camille's boss, and obviously somebody close to her...who is he to her relation-wise...did he adopt her after or just before she graduated from high school when she left Wind Gap? Or did she just fall in with him as her boss and became a sort of daughter figure to him? I know he calls her "Cubby," which could be a term of endearment or it could be referring to her as a "cub reporter." Any ideas?

The Adventure Starts Here!
dadgumblah… I think her boss is just her boss. I get no indication that he adopted her or anything. She has parents. I'm pretty sure the "cubby" is just a cute nickname, probably from "cub reporter." If he has sent her back home for nefarious or otherwise bad reasons, we haven't seen that yet. I just assumed that they have been protective of her in ways that *good* parents would be, so she has responded to that. Or perhaps something about her situation (since they know about the drinking) hits home for them. Have they perhaps lost a child too?

We can see that he's struggling through chemo, so he has his own issues right now.

I did know that the rehab scenes were flashbacks, although recent ones. My guess is that perhaps the boss and his wife (Eileen) know about the rehab (since she would have needed to be off work for a while) and have helped her in the past. I hadn't made the connection with the earbuds. Are we sure they're Alice's? Those white earbuds are ubiquitous, after all. If so, it's a nice touch, but I hadn't noticed it till now.

dadgumblah… I think her boss is just her boss. I get no indication that he adopted her or anything. She has parents. I'm pretty sure the "cubby" is just a cute nickname, probably from "cub reporter." If he has sent her back home for nefarious or otherwise bad reasons, we haven't seen that yet. I just assumed that they have been protective of her in ways that *good* parents would be, so she has responded to that. Or perhaps something about her situation (since they know about the drinking) hits home for them. Have they perhaps lost a child too?

We can see that he's struggling through chemo, so he has his own issues right now.

I did know that the rehab scenes were flashbacks, although recent ones. My guess is that perhaps the boss and his wife (Eileen) know about the rehab (since she would have needed to be off work for a while) and have helped her in the past. I hadn't made the connection with the earbuds. Are we sure they're Alice's? Those white earbuds are ubiquitous, after all. If so, it's a nice touch, but I hadn't noticed it till now.
Thanks for your comments, Austruck! I couldn't quite figure out her relationship to her boss, so you helped quite a bit there. The interview I read with the director of the series stated flatly that they were indeed Alice's earbuds. Also, as a Led Zeppelin fan, I've been frustrated that they continually cut off the song, "In the Evening" after the opening. Apparently we will get to hear the whole song eventually but the director wouldn't say why. Hmm.

Camo, since your notifications are turned off, I'll just say "thanks" for replying in the post above. I hope you hear about this non-notification.

dadgumblah… Are those opening credits all the same song? Each week the music overlying the opening credits is different. I was assuming it was always a completely different song. Is it part of the same song?

Last night's episode was unnerving. Watching Amma party and put herself in all sorts of danger is difficult to watch. And I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that sometimes Camille is protective of Amma and cautions her against such behavior and then other times, like last night's episode, she parties along with her and gets into a car being driven by a young teen who's drinking and driving. I'd be saying, "Let me off at the next intersection, please." I realize being home is screwing with her head quite a bit, but I would have thought that the last situation she'd find tempting would be with Amma, thereby encouraging her in her risky behavior.

Anyway, it's compelling viewing, for sure. Adams and Clarkson are worth the price of admission.

Just finished Cherry, another great episode. As great as Adams and Clarkson are, I think the actress who plays Amma makes the show. She balances danger and innocence so extremely well.

I love Amma too. Beautiful young girl. Can you believe she’s Australian? Another great actor to come from there. Must be something in the water.

Yesterday’s episode was amazing. One more to go for the big reveal.

REMINDER: NO SPOILERS!

Well, some of the big reveal already happened last night, I assume. But I'll be curious to see how everything wraps up at this point. Some great acting by Adams again. And Clarkson is just nailing it too.

@Austruck I don't know if the song at the beginning is the same. I find myself focusing on the images and the cast names and glossing over the song.

Wow, a lot of things that were right in front of our faces suddenly became clear. And a lot of theories open up, most of which are probably wrong on my part. But it's fun guessing. Still, I don't know how they can possibly wrap everything up in just one hour.

Yes, Adams is so stellar here that they'd better start engraving her Emmy right now. And Clarkson also. Eliza Scanlen, as Amma, like Stirchly said, is excellent also. I think there's a new star in the making there.

Damn! I want to tell my theories and for everyone to share theirs but less than half a week to go, so I'll have to resist.

If you haven't read spoilers elsewhere, then I'm okay with sharing personal theories here. You could always use spoiler tags. I'm not sure what's left to spoil, unless Camille's declaration to her boss over the phone wasn't true and someone else did it. But at this point, I doubt it.

Well... then again... Here is my own theory, which is just from my own viewing and not from any outside source. Still, spoiler tags just in case you don't want to read it:

WARNING: "My Own Theories" spoilers below
Perhaps Adora as the killer is too obvious, even if she did "kill" Marian with love and Camille did say it out loud last week. I'm guessing, if there's another twist left, it's that Alan is the killer. Frankly, he's SO passive that he's almost an unbelievable character. Nobody is that milquetoast.

So perhaps Adora is protecting him (and her own reputation). That might explain why he's sleeping on the couch like it's a habit. Also, they said in the beginning that it would take some strength to pull teeth out of the victims. That doesn't sound like Adora, but COULD be Alan...

Austruck, my theory is entirely my own and from NO outside source. And
my theory is just about the same as yours. I think it is a little too much on the nose that Adora is the killer. Yes, I too believe that she eventually made Marian die from "taking care of her." But as for the two recently murdered girls, I also believe that Alan is the muscle. They did make a point of showing the FBI guy testing pulling out teeth on a pig's head and it was difficult for him. So unless Adora is lifting weights at the gym, I don't think she's done the actual killing of the two girls. Adora said something suspicious to Alan about Camille like, "I see you didn't do what I wanted you to do" (make Camille leave). Who knows how Adora meant that, but it surely shows that she lords it over him. They mentioned (I think it was the nurse that Mr. FBI talked to) "Munchausen by Proxy" where a person makes another person sick, then makes them well (or kills them, depending on how bad the case is) to draw attention to the first person, so they'll receive pity or people will feel sorry for them. It seems like that is what's going on. The two murdered girls were once friends of Amma, Adora's daughter, but something happened to make them not be friends anymore. Now, John, the young man who got arrested, said that his sister bit people a lot, including him. That may be the reason the teeth were pulled out. I'm still not sure on that, because the first girl supposedly didn't bite people that we know of, but it could be a bait-and-switch, were they pulled the first girl's teeth just so they could pull the teeth on the second one, making it seem like that's what the "serial killer" (who strangely hasn't killed any other girls) likes to do.

That brings me to another thing: Adora had that ivory floor upstairs that she wouldn't let people wear shoes in. Amma doesn't like people to mess with her replica of their house. I wonder if she has the ivory floor replicated with the dead girls' teeth? That would be really creepy! Another thing: those two girls who are still Amma's friends that Adora turned away at the door---they're roller skating night and day and the cop talked to them while they were rolling along. They said something about Adora, that they loved her and that "she takes care of us" or something like that. Makes me wonder if Adora is lining them up to be killed? Actually, with only one episode left and this show and it's listed as being a "Limited Series," I don't think we're going to get all the answers.
Anyway, that's my take.

WARNING: "Me too" spoilers below
I think we're both in the ballpark here. Alan is in on it, if it's not entirely him. I can see him partnering with Adora, or her just strong-arming him and that's why he seems to always need to play those records on his "new toy."

Liking those theories guys. Just finished episode 7 and I have to give my wife credit; she blurted out the diagnosis literally 2 seconds before the nurse did. Looking forward to the finale.

Yeah, I had the credits on and then that flash of intensity happened. Kinda gave us a glimpse into how that might have all gone down.

Loved how the teeth showed up. You were on the right track with that one.

This might just do nobody any good.
Time to binge, ‘cause it wouldn’t be me if I wasn’t late to the party.