Tom Hardy as Al Capone in "Fonzo"

Tools    

I have no idea why it's called "Fonzo" unless that was a nickname for Capone, but it's got Tom Hardy so I'm interested. This is from Variety:

In a pre-American Film Market deal, Tom Hardy will star as gangster Al Capone in “Fonzo” with “Chronicle” director Josh Trank helming from his own script.

The film will be produced by Russell Ackerman and John Schoenfelder for Addictive Pictures alongside “Pulp Fiction” producer Lawrence Bender.

“Fonzo” is currently in pre-production and Bloom will commence international sales at AFM, which starts Nov. 2. CAA and WME are handling U.S. rights.

Capone was a bootlegger and brutal gangster who ruled Chicago during Prohibition. The federal government successfully prosecuted him for tax evasion in 1931 and he was convicted and sentenced to 11 years in prison. He was released after eight years and died at the age of 48 in 1947 as dementia rotted his brain and harrowing memories of his violent and brutal origins melt into his waking life.

“‘Fonzo’ brings together the myth and lore of notorious American Gangster Al Capone, with the undeniable talent of Tom Hardy and Josh Trank,” said Bloom’s Alex Walton. “We are thrilled to bring this film to buyers at the AFM. ”

The project is the first for Trank following “Chronicle.” Hardy will next star in Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” and “Taboo,” an eight-part TV series produced by Ridley Scott.

Trank is represented by WME, Management 360 and attorney Mitch Smelkinson. Hardy is repped by CAA and Lindy King at United Agents. The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

Sheesh! What is it with all the good looking actors wanting to play ugly people? McConaughey, Depp, Dicaprio, and Hardy again. I guess it makes them look more talented if they can pull it off.
Just dont do what Depp did......dont go "full-Tonto".

Does it deal with Eliot Ness?
I don't know. All it says is that it brings together the "myth and lore" of Al Capone. How much of his life they'll cover they haven't said yet. But it would seem like they'd include Ness as he was his main nemesis. We shall see.

I wonder if hes gonna do what DeNiro did, and gain 25 lbs? He has the acting chops. I just think theyd be better served finding an actor with chops, whose not good looking, actually looks like Capone, and they get him cheaper plus the actor gets a big break. What if Tom Hardy wanted to be Tony Soprano?! James Gandolfini woulda been S.O.L.!

Hardy has a good track record playing (and imitating) real life infamous criminals and gangsters with "Bronson" and "The Krays" and I'm sure he'll do a fine job here

I wonder if hes gonna do what DeNiro did, and gain 25 lbs? He has the acting chops. I just think theyd be better served finding an actor with chops, whose not good looking, actually looks like Capone, and they get him cheaper plus the actor gets a big break. What if Tom Hardy wanted to be Tony Soprano?! James Gandolfini woulda been S.O.L.!
Knowing Hardy, he'll probably grow some chops, I wouldn't be surprised if he cuts off his damn neck

but personally I have reached a decision that when someone is portraying a real life character, that looks is not that important, it's more about capturing the persons personality and little ticks and as a viewer I can look beyond anything else, like in "Hitler, rise of evil" I was complaining about Robert Carlyle playing Hitler because of how he looked but by the end, I admitted it was the best performance of Hitler in anything I've seen, even Bruno Ganz ... who looks like Hitler's twin

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I have no idea why it's called "Fonzo" unless that was a nickname for Capone
I assume it is because his name is Alphonse. I can't say that I have ever heard him referred to as "Fonzo" in anything I've ever seen or read about him, but I think that has to be why it is named that.

Sheesh! What is it with all the good looking actors wanting to play ugly people?
I just think theyd be better served finding an actor with chops, whose not good looking
I don't even think he is THAT good-looking. In fact, I don't find him to be remotely appealing in that sense. And by looking at what CR posted, I think he would be a pretty good choice as Capone.

I think I heard that when they were casting for "Lincoln" they would add certain features (i.e. the beard) to actors' photos to see who they thought would be best to consider for the role. Maybe they do that nowadays with any historical figure (or at least most of them) in movies. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that with Hardy because I do think he is a decent choice to play Capone.

Hardy has a good track record playing (and imitating) real life infamous criminals and gangsters with "Bronson" and "The Krays" and I'm sure he'll do a fine job here
Oh, absolutely. I think hes the best actor to come around since Leo & RDJ. I just think they should have aimed for someone older and less appealing to the eye. Just to clarify, I know he will do great, but its kind of a waste of his talents.

This might just do nobody any good.
I wish the title for this was “Snorky”.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/matt-dil...zo-1202339582/

Josh Trank (director of the last Fantastic Four movie...) is still writing and directing. Matt Dillon (as Al’s friend, Johnny), Kyle MacLachlan (as his doctor), Linda Cardinelli (as his wife) and Katherine Narducci (as his sister) have joined the cast.

Looks garbage, no surprise.

One thing few know about Capone is that he was only a Boss during the last year before he was imprisoned: 1931-1932. He was originally sent to take over Chicago with 10 made men by the New York Boss Joe Masseria, he was a Captain until Joe was killed in April 1931. During the majority of the time he was known as Public Enemy #1 and the top criminal in America he himself had a Boss.

Ed, clink on the link Saunch posted two spaces above you. The link's page is from March 18th of this year.

And Saunch, what is the "Snorky" reference about? I wonder because we had a friend in high school we called Snorky, believe it or not. I don't know why but some other friends did, so like lemmings, we followed along.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
looking forward to this, Tom Hardy never disappoints.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Here's the latest, where the article says Tom Hardy is "unrecognizable" in the picture...well, it looks just like him to me. Be that as it may, still looking forward to this. Here's the article with the accompanying picture:

https://people.com/movies/tom-hardy-...zo-first-look/

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I didn't know he played a Goblin in Harry Potter.

Suspect's Reviews