Denis Villenueve in talks for SONY's "Epic" Cleopatra Film

Tools    

What a waste of talent.

I suppose we have to wait for that potentially brilliant 'Dune' remake; in return for a hack-studio flop that Sony will re-shoot and re-edit to kingdom come, once It's done filming.

"With Cleopatra ... instead of doing the movie as the prestige picture — the three-hour, lots of pageantry, people with fans and English accents and all that stuff — [we] really treat it as a political thriller. Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all of that other stuff and just treat it as a two-hour, lean, mean political thriller, full of assassinations, etc."
David Scarpa sounds like an intelligent man.

This might just do nobody any good.
Is Denis doing Cleopatra next? I’m pretty sure he’s steeped in Dune right now.

Is Denis doing Cleopatra next? I’m pretty sure he’s steeped in Dune right now.
Welp, It's starting to look that way. Plus, Sony (in the end) is the one with the big bucks. So Denis might end up going with that first.

This might just do nobody any good.
Hmm, yeah, I guess. Blade Runner dissapointed at the box office so maybe he’ll have to do one for them before he does one for himself.

I’m still pretty confident we’ll get Dune first, though. He’s been working on that since before Blade Runner, he’s got a grip on the project. Not to mention that Cleopatra has been a revolving door for directors for some time now (David Fincher, Ang Lee and Bennett Miller came and went after Cameron).