MOFO Movie Tournament: Bracket 2

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yes, it was the last movie to garner a vote for this bracket.

I did nominate it, but I enjoy Cuckoo's Nest too much so it was a tough match for me.

And just out of pure sheer curiousity, who is that girl in the avatar Brod?
His mom.

The Best Years of Our Lives is the last film from this bracket I have to watch. Mark F mentioned an interesting parallel between it and One Flew Over. I'm very interesting in investigating that. Just for the record, I cannot believe you people think The Warriors is comparable to Contempt or that Ferris Bueller is comparable to A History of Violence.

Don't take this as a vote, rauld. I'll make it easy on you and post everything at once.

No. It's even more straightforward. My opinion is the only valid opinion. Any disagreement is either mistaken or incoherent and should therefore forgo any consideration whatsoever.

The truth hurts, sister. Deal with it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yes, there is plenty of time, so there's no hurry. I'd say TBYOOL would have gotten my vote had it been paired up with a lot of different films, since it is in my top 100. It just got the matchup shaft. Who knows, maybe it will get 8 more votes

No. It's even more straightforward. My opinion is the only valid opinion. Any disagreement is either mistaken or incoherent and should therefore forgo any consideration whatsoever.

The truth hurts, sister. Deal with it.
You couldn't be more wrong. Everything you said is true, but only when I say it.

And you're right about The Warriors not being comparable to Contempt, The Warriors pisses all over it.

I don't have a strong preference for The Warriors over Contempt. If I watched them both again I might change my mind. As of now if the alternative had been Pierrot le Fou or Weekend, The Warriors probably would have been edged out.

As for A History of Violence and identity, Ferris Bueller is about identity too. Basically from the second Matthew Broderick breaks the fourth wall the movie becomes about playful self-awareness. It's The Muppet Movie for teens and a total blast. A History of Violence on the other hand broke my heart. Even if it's not being compared with Cronenberg's best (The Fly, Dead Ringers...) it's still a relatively average and conventional film. If Bueller was up against one of those two movies it would lose my vote, but it's pretty easy choice against A History of Violence.

Ferris Bueller is about identity too. Basically from the second Matthew Broderick breaks the fourth wall the movie becomes about playful self-awareness. It's The Muppet Movie for teens and a total blast.
The Muppet Movie for teens! I never would have thought of that. Miss Piggy gives you a kiss for your vote and insight:

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd vote for The Warriors over all three of the mentioned Godard films and several others besides. And I don't even think The Warriors is all that good. But what did you expect from me?

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Oh dear, haven't seen many of these...
6. It's a Wonderful Life vs. 11. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
7. Ferris Bueller's Day Off vs. 10. A History of Violence

But what did you expect from me?
Not a heck of a lot except maybe some pro-Hollywood, anti-international rhetoric.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That has nothing to do with anti-international (it's anti-Godard) and it's not rhetoric. I'll tell you what... why don't you give me some "non-rhetoric" explaining why I'm wrong?

I can understand that. Now, Ty1, if I call you anti-international would you like that? It's just that I've seen a lot of foreign films, especially from Godard and Fellini, so I don't know how to correct people's misinterpretations. I suppose I should just drop all my American film ratings and raise all my non-American film ratings. At least I discuss and try to somehow justify the ratings I give to films. I give plenty of crap ratings to Fellini too, but to say you don't think as much about something non-Hollywood then you're a whore while if you praise obscure foreign films without uttering a word, then you're somehow more honest about yourself and the films - that I don't really get.