the worst movies ever

Tools    

Duplicate Account (locked)
Interesting to see Promising Young Woman mentioned so many times here. I'm not sure if it's Oscar worthy, but I still think it's a pretty good thriller about "nice guys" and why they're not to be trusted. What are some of the issues you all have with it?

Nothing about it felt realistic, except for the fact that people can be manipulative, and everyone wants to move on. The fact that it's trying to address a real problem is what I found to be the most insulting, and yes the ending was a semi-comical absurdity

I really enjoyed Promising Young Woman, as well. Save for the end. Something about the ending felt….off? It’s hard to put my finger on it.
I think the ending was brilliant and unexpected.

I think in regards to the talk some are having about realism in this thread (Come and See, which I've seen, Promising Young Woman, which I have not), I sometimes think people put too much emphasis on a film looking and moving like reality in order to be interpreted as 'real'. Sometimes, in order for a movie to properly articulate to a viewer what being in a situation feels like, in order to manifest the emotional reality of a scene, it makes sense that a director may rely on the affectations of exaggeration, the grotesque, camp, farce, stereotypes, absurdism, surrealism etc. None of these will make the movie we are watching look exactly as we expect it should. But it allows us to understand the impact of what is happening more clearly. Through a distortion we can actually understand the reality better. This is why something like Duck Soup remains one of the great indictments of politics, even if the Marx Brothers hardly resemble real people.

In the case of Come and See, we are witnessing the effects of war from the perspective of a child.It only makes sense for the world to seem topsy turvy, nightmarish, out of focus, incomprehensible from this view point. To portray this particular reality with any attention to real world details would in fact not do justice to what it is showing us about the trauma of the war on this particular individual. Does this make the film manipulative? Definitely. Does this make it propaganda? Questionable. I can see it being argued either way. But this is to act like it still doesn't have something to say, even if we do end up concluding it was conceived in order to perpetuate some Soviet agenda. It remains the single most powerful anti war movie ever made, regardless of what conditions created it. Or how much it deviates from supposed realism.

One of these days, I need to find Come and See. It’s only been on my watch list for well over a decade at this point.
🤷
I could dm you with a link if you'd like.

The trick is not minding
I could dm you with a link if you'd like.
Actually, yeah, I will hit you up for that sometime in January. I have a bunch of films I’m trying finish off this month between the HOF, and the 2021 challenge, plus some others I’ve got saved at the moment.

But yes, I will definitely take advantage of this in January. It’ll probably be used for the 2022 challenge Jabs runs, in fact.

Appreciate it.

'ff it's still available at that link in January.
The thing about free movie watching sites is that if one of them goes down, there's still a bunch of other sites you can try.

Duplicate Account (locked)
The Many Saints of Newark

Yep, the many saints of Newark...i get it: The Sopranos with practically all of the comedic elements removed, zero unity of themes. Those who who seek frivolous novelties need to look no further.

woke up this morning and i...took myself a pill, and uh...

The Many Saints of Newark

Yep, the many saints of Newark...i get it: The Sopranos with practically all of the comedic elements removed, zero unity of themes. Those who who seek frivolous novelties surprises need to look no further.

woke up this morning and i...took myself a pill, and uh...
No desire to see this. They should have left well enough alone.

If you want a really bad movie... Santa's Summer House (2012)
It's on TV right now.

It's not even a movie. It's just random people who seemingly have no script, but were told they have to portray some kind of Christmas message of forgiveness and love.

For some reason the filmmakers decided the longer the shot, the better.
There's an extended croquet game in the middle of the movie, and no joke, it's about 15 minutes of the film, with the actors just playing croquet badly while Christmas music plays over the top.

Also... martial artist and bodybuilder Cynthia Rothrock is Mrs Claus

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Attack of the Clones

I have felt just about every emotion after seeing a movie - happiness, lust, dreariness, fear, hope... but Attack of the Clones is the only one that made me feel actual RAGE. Like, I wanted to kick George Lucas in the nuts after I left the theater. And then pee on him.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Land of the Lost (2009) is the first movie that comes to mind. Besides being unfunny as a comedy, it excels at what I think are the worst ways a movie can be: boring and lazy. It's as if everything was in place for a decent Land of the Lost movie, but then Will Ferrell and Danny McBride wandered onto the set, did a bunch of half-assed improv and the crew filmed it thinking that they were actually the stars of the movie. I would describe it as a feature-length adaptation of a dirty joke some jerk wrote on the wall of a gas station bathroom.