Dissect your favorite actor/actress

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Great choice 7thson!

I've always really liked Modine. It's funny, you know how sometimes it's easy to associate certain actors with another? Like I've grouped Lee Marvin and James Coburn in my memory for as long as I can remember, but I've also always grouped Modine with Stoltz! I never knew they were friends at all, but it makes sence. They're both soft spoken and intelligent, and both are massively underrated for their respective skills. I wish I saw more of both of them.
Weren't Modine and Stoltz both in the pretty cool movie Memphis Belle?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Yes they were...not a very popular film, but I've always enjoyed it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Yes they were...not a very popular film, but I've always enjoyed it.
Yeah, it was a while since I saw it but my lasting impression is good.

man i dont see what is so great about acting in old movies.there may be some great old actors like Alec Guinness and such(because of timeles performances that are similar to reality). but how can u stand overacting showboats like toshiro mifune and charleton heston.it may have been acceptable in their time but now its time to admit they r wrong.quit idolizing them and start paying attention to actors like sean penn,johnny depp,and Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu,Ben kingsly.THE REAl ACTORS.

im not talkin about old people im talking about the acting in old movies,doesnt matter what age they are

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but so am I...you're wrong. Next subject...

Dustin Hoffman (my #1 favorite)

My Personal Favorite Hoffman Performances:

1. Midnight Cowboy (1969)
2. Little Big Man (1970)
3. Papillon (1973)
4. Straw Dogs (1971)
5. Tootsie (1982)
6. Rain Man (1988)
7. The Graduate (1967)
8. All the President's Men (1976)
9. Lenny (1974)
10. Death of a Salesman (1985)
11. Straight Time (1978)
12. Marathon Man (1976)
13. Ishtar (1987)
14. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
15. Hero (1992)
16. Moonlight Mile (2002)
17. Runaway Jury (2003)
18. Wag the Dog (1997)
19. Hook (1991)
20. Family Business (1989)
21. Billy Bathgate (1991)
22. The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)
23. Agatha (1979)
24. Dick Tracy (1990)
25. Outbreak (1995)
26. Sphere (1998)
27. American Buffalo (1996)
28. Mad City (1997)
29. Confidence (2003)
30. John and Mary (1969)
31. Sleepers (1996)

Oscar Nominations:

1. The Graduate (1968) - Best Actor in a Leading Role
2. Midnight Cowboy (1970) - Best Actor in a Leading Role
3. Lenny (1975) - Best Actor in a Leading Role
4. Kramer vs. Kramer (1980) - Best Actor in a Leading Role *
5. Tootsie (1983) - Best Actor in a Leading Role
6. Rain Man (1989) - Best Actor in a Leading Role *
7. Wag the Dog (1998) - Best Actor in a Leading Role

Golden Globe Nominations:

1. The Graduate (1968) - Most Promising Newcomer - Male *
2. The Graduate (1968) - Best Motion Picture Actor - Musical/Comedy
3. John and Mary (1969) - Best Motion Picture Actor - Musical/Comedy
4. Midnight Cowboy (1969) - Best Motion Picture Actor - Drama
5. Lenny (1975) - Best Motion Picture Actor - Drama
6. Marathon Man (1977) - Best Motion Picture Actor - Drama
7. Kramer vs. Kramer (1980) - Best Motion Picture Actor - Drama *
8. Tootsie (1983) - Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical *
9. Death of a Salesman (1986) - Best *Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV
10. Rain Man (1989) - Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama *
11. Hook (1992) - Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical
12. Cecil B. DeMille Award *
13. Wag the Dog (1998) - Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical

Emmy Awards:

1. Death of a Salesman (1986) - Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Special *

(* = WON)

John Cusack

Birthdate & location
28 June, 1966, Evanston, Illinois, USA

IMDb Link

Favourite Movie
Journey Of Natty Gann, The

Least Favourite Movie
Bullets Over Broadway

Favourite Performance
Being John Malkovich (Craig Swartz)

Most Overrated
High Fidelity

Most Underrated

Awards (IMDb Link)

My Top Five Movie Choices

Stand By Me

Identity
Con Air
Gross Point Blank

Robert Duvall

Birthdate and Location: January 5, 1931, San Diego California

Best Movies:
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) .... Arthur 'Boo' Radley
MASH (1970) .... Maj. Frank Burns
Godfather, The (1972) .... Tom Hagen
Godfather: Part II, The (1974) .... Tom Hagen
Network (1976) .... Frank Hackett
Apocalypse Now (1979) .... Lt. Col. William 'Bill' Kilgore
Falling Down (1993) .... Prendergast
Sling Blade (1996) .... Frank Childers

Worst Movies:
Let's Get Harry (1986) .... Shrike
Deep Impact (1998) .... Capt. Spurgeon 'Fish' Tanner
Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) .... Otto Halliwell
John Q (2002) .... Lt. Frank Grimes

General Facts:
Studied acting with Sanford Meisner at The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre in New York.
Is a direct descendent of Confederate General Robert E. Lee
Served in the Army of the United States, under the service number 52 346 646, from 19 August 1953 to 20 August 1954. Was released from active duty as a Private First Class having been awarded the National Defense Service Medal.
Was roommates with Dustin Hoffman while they were stage actors in New York. Prior to fame for either party

Awards:
Oscar Nomination: Best Supporting Actor (The Godfather)
Oscar Nomination: Best Supporting Actor (Apocalypse Now)
Oscar Nomination: Best Supporting Actor (Civil Action)
Oscar Nomination: Best Actor (The Great Santini)
Oscar Nomination (Won): Best Actor (Tender Mercies)
Oscar Nomination: Best Actor (The Apostle)
Emmy Nomination: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Special (Lonesome Dove)
Emmy Nomination: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Special (Stalin)
Emmy Nomination: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Special (Man Who Captured Eichmann)
Golden Globes Nomination: Best Supporting Actor (Civil Action)
Golden Globes Nomination (Win): Best Actor in a Miniseries (Stalin)
Golden Globes Nomination (Win): Best Actor in a Miniseries (Lonesome Dove)
Golden Globes Nomination (Win): Best Actor (Tender Mercies)
Golden Globes Nomination (Win): Best Supporting Actor (Apocalypse Now)

Was an actor in 6 of the AFI top 100 films of all time list, the most of all time.

Evil spelled backwards is Live!
Sean Bean

Birthdate and Location:
April 17, 1959 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Film Highlights:

Stormy Monday (1988)
Lady Chatterly (1992)
Patriot Games (1992)
Goldeneye (1995)
Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (1997)
Ronin (1998)
Essex Boys (2000)
Don't Say A Word (2001)
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Equilibrium (2002)

Best Movie:
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Worst Movie:

I don't know...perhaps Black Beauty.

Favorite Movie:

Essex Boys

Upcoming Movies:

Troy
National Treasure

A system of cells interlinked
Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman is a passionate, convincing actor that never breaks character. At 67, he has accumulated quite a catalogue, portraying a convict, a detective, a retired outlaw, and even the character Easy Reader on The Electric Company, a curiously psychedelic children's program that went on the air in 1971.

Favorite Performances (in no particular order)

Se7en
Unforgiven
The Shawshank Redemption
Driving Ms. Daisy
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Glory
Kiss the Girls
Along Came a Spider
(movie not so good)
The Electric Company

Chief Dan George

Birth - death date and location:

Born July 24, 1899 - Died September 23, 1981
Burrard Indian Reserve No.3, North Vancouver, B.C.

Short Bio

Chief Dan George, Chief of the Squamish Nation in Burrard Inlet, British Columbia, was born 'Geswanouth Slahoot' but had his name changed at five years old when he, along with the other tribal children, were forced by the government to stay at a mission boarding school and forbidden to speak their native language. Leaving the school when he was 17, he worked at various jobs until his father-in-law helped him land a job as a longshoreman in the mid 1920’s… a job he worked at until 1947 when a swing load of lumber crashed into him. After he overcame his injuries, he worked for a time in construction until after the age of 60, he took a job driving a school bus. It was during this time he was asked to try out for the role of the aging Indian, Old Antoine, in the CBC series Cariboo Country when the actor previously playing the role was unable to continue due to health problems. George got the part and it wasn’t long before the critics hailed him one of the “finest natural actors” to come along in a long time. One episode of Cariboo County won the Canadian Film Award for entertainment in 1965 and Walt Disney Studios adapted another episode into a movie named Smith starring Glenn Ford and Keenan Wynn.

George’s performance in Smith led to an invitation to play Old Lodge Skins in Little Big Man starring Dustin Hoffman - a role for which he won the New York Film Critics Award and the National Society of Film Critics Award. He was also nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor but lost out to actor John Mills for his performance in Ryan’s Daughter.

Chief Dan was 71 years old when he played Old Lodge Skins and 77 when he took on the role of Lone Watie, Clint Eastwood’s lovable sidekick in The Outlaw Josey Wales… but George’s talent was not limited to the big screen. He was also a noted stage actor, author, and spokesman for Native Americans… his message promoting peace and understanding.

MOVIES

Smith! (1969)
Little Big Man (1970)
Alien Thunder (1973)
Harry and Tonto (1974)
The Bears and I (1974)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
Shadow of the Hawk (1976)
Americathon (1979)
Spirit of the Wind (1980)

Favorite Movie

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Favorite Line

“I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.”
~ Lone Watie

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Great post Cait~~I remember the Chief's smile and Intelligence the most. I have heard some of his speeches on the radio in the past and his quiet whispery voice spoke volumes. His smile is the best though, he smiles with his eyes and even though his lips may still form a frown his kindness and thoughtfulness just pour from him.

Thanks guys… Chief Dan was an amazing man… I saw him once when I was a little girl and thought at first he was Santa Claus… I had always been told Santa had a twinkle in his eyes and that was the very first thing I noticed about him…

Great enhanced post Piddy… I’ll have to check Phillip out in The Talented Mr. Ripley… it’s been so long since I saw that, I don’t remember too much about it…

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Thanks guys… Chief Dan was an amazing man… I saw him once when I was a little girl and thought at first he was Santa Claus… I had always been told Santa had a twinkle in his eyes and that was the very first thing I noticed about him…

Great enhanced post Piddy… I’ll have to check Phillip out in The Talented Mr. Ripley… it’s been so long since I saw that, I don’t remember too much about it…
Oh, Hoffman is great in that one! No one plays an ******* as brilliantly as he does it!

You ready? You look ready.
Bruce Willis

Best Movie:
Die Hard

Best Movie Tie:
Hart's War

Worst Movie:
The Sixth Sense

Over Rated In:
Tears Of The Sun

Under Rated In:
The Whole Ten Yards

Funniest Movie:
Armageddon
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Michael J. Fox

Favorite Film: The American President, Secret of My Success, Bright Light, Big City

Worst Films: Doc Hollywood, Teen Wolf, Mars Attacks

Most Underated: The Frighteners

Statistics

Full Name: Michael Andrew Fox
Stage Name: Michael J. Fox
Birthdate: June 9, 1961; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Education:
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Father: William Fox (Deceased: 1990)
Mother: Phyllis Fox
Brother: Steven FoxSisters: Karen, Jackie & Kelli
Wife: Tracy Pollan (actress; married on July 17, 1988)
Children: Samuel Michael Fox (5-30-89), Aquinna Kathleen Fox (Twin) (2-15-96), Schuyler Francis Fox (Twin) (2-15-96), Esme Annabelle Fox (11.03.01)

Movies/Television

Magic 7, The (2004) (TV) (in production)
Stuart Little 2 (2002)
Interstate 60 (2002)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
Stuart Little (1999)
"Spin City" (1996) TV Series (1996-2000)
Mars Attacks! (1996)
Frighteners, The (1996)
Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1996)
American President, The (1995)
Blue in the Face (1995)
Coldblooded (1995)
Don't Drink the Water (1994) (TV)
Greedy (1994)
Where the Rivers Flow North (1993)
For Love or Money (1993)
Life with Mikey (1993)
Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993)
Trap, The (1991/I) (TV)
Doc Hollywood (1991)
Hard Way, The (1991)
Sex, Buys & Advertising (1990) (TV)
Back to the Future Part III (1990)
Back to the Future Part II (1989)
Casualties of War (1989)
Bright Lights, Big City (1988)
Secret of My Succe$s, The (1987)
Light of Day (1987)
Family Ties Vacation (1985) (TV)
Teen Wolf (1985)
Back to the Future (1985)
Poison Ivy (1985) (TV)
High School U.S.A. (1983) (TV)
"Family Ties" (1982) TV Series
Class of 1984 (1982)
Trouble in High Timber Country (1980) (TV)
"Palmerstown, U.S.A." (1980) TV Series
Midnight Madness (1980)
Letters from Frank (1979) (TV)
"Leo and Me" (1976) TV Series

Notable TV Guest Appearances

"Scrubs" (2001) playing "Dr. Kevin Casey" in episode: "My Porcelain God" (February 17, 2004)
"Scrubs" (2001) playing "Dr. Kevin Casey" in episode: "My Catalyst" (February 10, 2004)
"Clone High" (2002) playing "Gandhi's Remaning Kidney" in episode: "Escape to Beer Mountain: A Rope of Sand" (November 2, 2002)
"Larry King Live" (1985) (April 9, 2002)
"Oprah Winfrey Show, The" (1986) (April 3, 2002)
"Spin City" (1996) playing "Mike Flaherty" in episode: "Wife with Mikey" (October 2, 2001)
"Spin City" (1996) playing "Mike Flaherty" in episode: "A Tree Falls in Manhattan" (September 18, 2001)
"Spin City" (1996) playing "Mike Flaherty" in episode: "The Arrival" (September 18, 2001)
"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (1993) (May 6, 1998)
"Rosie O'Donnell Show, The" (1996) (February 3, 1997)
"Rosie O'Donnell Show, The" (1996) (September 24, 1996)
"Tales from the Crypt" (1989) playing "Prosecutor" in episode: "The Trap" (June 15, 1991)
"Saturday Night Live" (1975) playing "Guest Host" (March 16, 1991)
"Night Court" (1984) playing "Eddie Simms" in episode: "Santa Goes Downtown" (January 11, 1984)
"Love Boat, The" (1977) in episode: "I Like to be in America/He Ain't Heavy/Abbey's Maiden Voyage" (February 26, 1983)
"Trapper John, M.D." (1979) playing "Elliot Schweitzer" in episode: "Brain Child" (May 17, 1981)
"Family" (1976/III) playing "Schoolboy" in episode: "Such a Fine Line" (March 17, 1980)
"Lou Grant" (1977) playing "Paul Stone" in episode: "Kids" (December 24, 1979)
"Magic Lie, The" in episode: "The Master" (1977)

Awards/Nomnations

Aftonbladet TV Prize (Sweden):
Best Foreign TV Personality - Male (2001)

Emmy Awards:
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Spin City (2001)
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Family Ties (1988)
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Family Ties (1987)
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Family Ties (1986)

Nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series at Emmy Awards for Spin City (1997)
Nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series at Emmy Awards for Spin City (1998)
Nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series at Emmy Awards for Spin City (1999)
Nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series at Emmy Awards for Family Ties (1985)

Screen Actors Guild Award:
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, Spin City (2000)
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, Spin City (1999)

Golden Globe Awards:
Best Actor in a Leading Role--Musical or Comedy Series or Television Movie, Spin City (1999)
Best Actor in a Leading Role--Musical or Comedy Series or Television Movie, Spin City (1998)
Best Actor in a Leading Role--Musical or Comedy Series or Television Movie, Spin City (1997)
Best Actor in a Leading Role--Musical or Comedy Series or Television Movie, Family Ties (1989)

Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical at Golden Globe Awards for BACK TO THE FUTURE (1986)
Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical at Golden Globe Awards for Family Ties (1986)
Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical at Golden Globe Awards for Family Ties (1987)
Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical at Golden Globe Awards for Family Ties (1988)
Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical at Golden Globe Awards for SPIN CITY (1997)

People's Choice Awards:
Favorite Male Performer in a New Television Series (1997)

Family Television Awards: Actor (2000)

Viewers for Quality Television Awards:
Best Actor in a Quality Comedy Series, Family Ties (1987)
Best Supporting Actor in a Quality Comedy Series for Family Ties (1986)

Saturn Award:
Best Actor, BACK TO THE FUTURE (1986)

Originally Posted by jrs
Michael J. Fox

Favorite Film: The American President, Secret of My Success, Bright Light, Big City

Worst Films: Doc Hollywood, Teen Wolf, Mars Attacks

Most Underated: The Frighteners