La Dolce Anita

Tools    

Anita Ekberg (1931-2015) La Dolce Vita 60th Anniversary

Promised I'd share this when I got it finished. A bit of fun I put together for the occasion. She doesn't get a lot of praise for most of the 70-odd films she did during her lengthy career, but she had her moment with this one. Thanks again to Stirchley for clarification of the title. From the description:

Celebrating the 60th anniversary of Anita Ekberg and La Dolce Vita. A famous and unique performance from the Swedish film star released in 1960. Highly praised worldwide by critics and audiences alike, the actress' iconic scene in Rome's Fontana di Trevi continues to stand out as one of the most imaginative and stylish images in the history of movies. Principally shot in Rome and led by the famous Italian director Federico Fellini, the film gained its reputation as a masterpiece and one of the greatest of Italian cinema.

The film follows the story of journalist Marcello Rubini, played by Marcello Mastroianni, as he observes the eccentric world around him of the cultural elite, whilst searching for meaning in his own life and work. Through this he meets Sylvia Rank, a stylish and famous Swedish-American actress visiting Rome, played by Anita Ekberg. Sylvia tours Rome in a whirlwind of exuberance and commotion surrounded by Paparazzi. Marcello, fascinated and drawn by her surreal beauty, follows her throughout his day and night. Sylvia is dreamlike, mystical and enticing. The actress said of the role: "I could have played the part blind-folded".

Fellini said of his casting of Anita Ekberg for the part of Sylvia: "I needed someone who was almost a caricature of Venus, who could bring out the humour of the situation between the sexes". And that she: "...so strongly incarnates one side of woman's nature, although she revealed another side in La Dolce Vita, that of the child within the mature female. There is a child within each of us, of course, but Anitona's child is nearer to the surface".

The 60th anniversary of Anita Ekberg and La Dolce Vita. A classic and memorable role from one of the cinema's most glamourous performers.

English subtitles available
Best viewed @ 1080p

Anita Ekberg (1931-2015) La Dolce Vita 60th Anniversary
VERY nice video, James! You took some time to put that together. It seems to me that the music was a little too overpowering when Ekberg was speaking. But that could be the fault of my equipment.

La Dolce Vita is one of my all time favorite movies. The impression it made upon me, and likely to many of my generation, was profound. Ekland's scene in the fountain was as iconic as it was sensual and unique. But the flavor of the whole film was what was ground breaking. Its relaxed and enticing morality was in stark contrast to what we had all been accustomed to in the 1950s. It's portrayal of loose sexual encounters and matter of fact relationships and life styles was magnetic.

In fact one might suggest that the film helped usher in the wild 'n crazy '60s and the Hippie movement. America had not been accustomed to the looser Italian morality as it was presented in Fellini's film. Yet Americans had been in love with anything Italian starting in the late '50s through the '60s-- from the Vespa motorcycle, to Italian actresses, to Italian clothing styles. La Dolce Vita magnified and helped promote that wave.

It was a wonderful time, and everyone seemed happy-- quite a contrast to today.

~Doc

I liked the movie, but I could have done without Anita and her scenes. I'm glad Robert finally slapped her.
Why is that? Was it the actress? Or something about her character's behavior?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Why is that? Was it the actress? Or something about her character's behavior?
She was very annoying. I remember her running around yelling "Frankie" constantly. I doubt there's anyone who feels the way I do, which probably makes me question her scenes. I was just watching a show, someone mentioned that movie, and the guy said "Oh the movie with Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekburg", even though she had no significant role.
Any plans to see it? I gave it a 7.5/10, but I remember watching it twice in two days, and every time I'd see it, I'd have a different feeling.

VERY nice video, James! You took some time to put that together. It seems to me that the music was a little too overpowering when Ekberg was speaking.
Many thanks! Yeah, I got some varying results too from testing on different systems.

@matt72582
I can relate. I used to think pretty much the same.