Favorite war movies

Tools    

saving private ryan, black hawk down, hamburger hill, platoon, a bridge to far, band of the brothers, tora tora tora, and my allll time favorite Full metal jacket...

-platoon
-saving private ryan
-troy
-the patriot
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

Death Is So Becoming ;>
The Patriot
Saving Private Ryan
Toys
Dune

Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
Jarhead
Full Metal Jacket
Black Hawk Down

The Thin Red Line
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
M*A*S*H

Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
The Siege of Firebase Gloria
and, of course,
Saving Private Ryan
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalpse Now, and also I really liked Band of Brothers. I know it's a tv miniseries, but still my favorite look at ww2.

Can someone explain to me why The Thin Red Line keeps popping up on this list? I have seen it a few times and just can’t appreciate it. I never read the book, but I always assumed that Malick was trying to stay true to the book with the nonstop internal monologues. However, after seeing The New World, yet another movie full of unnecessary internal monologues, I like the Thin Red Line even less. The general story is solid but Malick’s desire to put you into the thoughts of every character at every moment really drives me crazy. I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain to me why The Thin Red Line is a great war movie.

Originally Posted by jav1856
Can someone explain to me why The Thin Red Line keeps popping up on this list? I have seen it a few times and just can’t appreciate it. I never read the book, but I always assumed that Malick was trying to stay true to the book with the nonstop internal monologues. However, after seeing The New World, yet another movie full of unnecessary internal monologues, I like the Thin Red Line even less. The general story is solid but Malick’s desire to put you into the thoughts of every character at every moment really drives me crazy. I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain to me why The Thin Red Line is a great war movie.
Because it's honest. We can agree that most of the "war" takes place within ourselves. But that is not to say that the physical violence is unnecessary. The film is very slow and takes it's time, it's not your typical war movie where everything is rushed along. Suffice to say it is not for everyone. But I find this film to be very poetic--much like all of Malick's films. Also, my favorite war movie of all-time. Terrence Malick is a legend.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
Because it's honest. We can agree that most of the "war" takes place within ourselves. But that is not to say that the physical violence is unnecessary. The film is very slow and takes it's time, it's not your typical war movie where everything is rushed along. Suffice to say it is not for everyone. But I find this film to be very poetic--much like all of Malick's films. Also, my favorite war movie of all-time. Terrence Malick is a legend.
nice answer

www.forumninja.com
Not much love for Casualties of War...

Or Wings? The progenitor, baby!

I think Band of brothers it was more of a series but it was hell good.

Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal jacket were very good films. I still prefer SPR over FMJ though anyday.

[Schindlers List]if there can be only one

Dirtier than Harry
Everyone seems to be forgetting this masterpiece:

Braveheart is the perfect war movie. Saving Private Ryan and Gettysburg were also very well done IMO.

Apocalypse Now hands down

Saving Private Ryan was indeed breathtaking tho

My favorite war movie is the "The Patriot". It's one of the best film I've watched.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Far more interesting than the very conventional Platoon.