watch movie before you die?

Tools    

Ok, even a list of classics, like the one honeykid listed, has films on it that lots of people probably won't like. For example, I've never been able to get through Gone With the Wind. I don't know why, but I just can't watch it.

Plus, Scarface, if it's the DePalma one, is kind of dated and over-the-top. I can't imagine telling someone they simply have to see it.

Can't we just go into the reviews forum and read each other's top whatever lists and get the same effect?

By the way, Titanic is absolute crap. Sorry, but I wouldn't tell anyone to see that one either. Hell, I'm sorry, lundy, but I would say that The Sound of Music and Pan's Labyrinth are the only must-see material on your list. They aren't even the best films in their respective genre's! You need to branch out and watch some more films. This isn't a personal attack, I just think you need to watch way more movies. If you think Pan's Labyrinth is great then I think you have decent taste in you somewhere, you just need to watch a more diverse selection of films.

To the OP, I don't want to recommend any films to people because taste is such a personal thing. I can tell you my favorites and you can judge wether or not you want to watch them based on my opinion and what you know of my taste, but making a list of "must-see" films seems silly to me.

Now, if we did a list of films that film fans must see before they die, that would be something. But I can't recommend the same films to my wife and my sister and my mom and my grandmother, so making a list of "must-see" films seems pointless to me.

Now, let me go bah-humbug somewhere else.

I said I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, I just think there's far better films out there.

For example, instead of watching Zombieland, watch Dead Alive, A.K.A Brain Dead. It's one of Peter Jackson's first films and it makes Zombieland look like a walk in the park. It's funny, gory, over-the-top, campy, and simply wonderful. It's, IMO, the best zombie film of all time. It may never be outdone.

Yes, I even think it's better than Night of the Living Dead, though it's completely different in tone, so it's almost apples and oranges.

that's what she said...
Well I will give it a go and watch it

BUT I go through movie obsession phases and I don't think I'll be out of Zombieland for quite some time lol. It creeps out my family and friends how much I LOVE Zombieland. Haha.

Well, for their respective genres:

-Science Fiction: 2001
-Horror: Psycho
-Mystery: Vertigo
-Romance: Casablanca
-Fantasy: The Wizard of Oz
-Comedy: Some Like It Hot
-War: Apocalypse Now
-Western: the Searchers
-Sport: Raging Bull
-Musical: Singin' In The Rain
-Gangster: The Godfather
-Animation: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Not necessarily my favs, but definitely the highest regarded film of each genre. A couple there I'll have to check out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Did anybody even watch the Soylent Green video? It doesn't spoil anything about the movie and it opens up the idea that if you had five minutes left, what would you want to see and hear? A scene, a song, a piece of music, a combo, a specially-edited commercial movie, your own home movie, a specially-made home movie? Just a thought. I'm thinking about what I'd want, similarly to what Edward G. Robinson got in the movie.

Ok, even a list of classics, like the one honeykid listed, has films on it that lots of people probably won't like. For example, I've never been able to get through Gone With the Wind. I don't know why, but I just can't watch it.

Plus, Scarface, if it's the DePalma one, is kind of dated and over-the-top. I can't imagine telling someone they simply have to see it.
I don't think liking the films has much to do with it. Certainly that's not how I took it, just look at my list. The Red Shoes, 2001 and The Searchers are all films I've either not finished or simply don't like. However, I do think they're excellent examples of what they are. With only ten choices, you can't include an example of every genre.

The Wind - My favourite silent film and, IMO, a very good example of what silent cinema was able to achieve before sound set it back 10 years.

Gone With The Wind - The ultimate Hollywood epic.

Citizen Kane - For all the reasons we'd tell anyone to watch Kane.

Double Indemnity - My favourite noir and, arguably, the best.

The Red Shoes - Not a typical musical, I'll grant you, so you could argue that it isn't the best example, but it's so beautiful and striking that I couldn't think of a better example of a musical film.

Scarface - On here because I can't think of a better example of a film that defined a decade and, unlike any other I could think it, it defined it before it'd finished, rather than at the end or after it'd ended. As I've said before, the 80's spent the rest of the decade trying to catch this film up.

Goodfellas - My favourite gangster/crime film and, IMO, the best.

Charlie's Angels - Because Drew never looked better.

Can't we just go into the reviews forum and read each other's top whatever lists and get the same effect?
Of course, but that negates the whole thread.

But I still wouldn't tell my mom or my grandma to watch Double Indemnity just because it's the esential noir or Scarface because it defines a decade.

Favorite films are one thing, to say to people all over the world, or even just in this forum, these films you must see sounds silly to me. I can't even think of one film that everyone should see. I'm sure there's a film that exemplifies the importance of friends and/or family that might make the list, but I can't even think of that...

Now, breaking down the films like you did, honeykid, into genres or specific types of films is perfect. But there's not really some universal magical film that every human must see before they die. But, if you want to say "Noir fans, watch Double Indemnity" or "Straight males, watch Charlie's Angels", that works fine. Maybe we should list films that define genres, I can totally get behind that.

Does anyone get what I'm saying?

EDIT: LOL! I got three positive reps for making fun of Pay it Forward! Seriously, that film is so incredibly corny and manipulative...ug.

Serpico
Lord of the Rings - "You just have to kinda consider all three of them together."
T2: Judgment Day
In The Mouth of Madness
Into the Wild
Du Er Ikke Alene
A Very Long Engagement
House of Games
American History X
Taxi Driver

Shutter Island,The Wizard of Oz,2001,Goodfellas,Fight Club,Rain Man,The Good the bad and the ugly,Once upon a time in America,Vertigo,Rear Window,The Birds,Finding Nemo,Lion King,Shindlers list,Ice Age,Jurassic Park,Land before time,Inland Empire,Wall E,Terminator 2,Forest Gump...

1. Police Academy
2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
3. Mannequin: On The Move
4. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
5. Alice in Wonderland
6. The Doom Generation
7. Child’s Play 2
8. Die Hard
9. Taxi Driver
10. The Wizard of Oz

I tried to think of films that may not have been seen by most, but that I think are must sees.

Pi (1998)
The Trial (1962)
A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
Opening Night (1977)
Sorcerer (1977)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Hell in the Pacific (1968)
Altered States (1980)
The Conversation (1974)
Fitzcarraldo (1982)

okey I think i need to explain my choices!
I know not everyone thinks the same, this is what I think!

1. forrest gump - first of all, Tom Hanks playing a retard how is soooo epic in life! and second it's from 1994
2. titanic - the love between Jack and Rose is so beautiful and it's based on a true story!
3. the notebook - Never cried as much in my whole life!
4. pay it forward - it's a true story and to just think about it, a little kid wants to make the world to a better place! and to actually go from thinking to making is incredible. and the knowledge that he died because of his goodness is just sad!
5. taken - do i even need to explain?! it's simply awesome...
6. dirty dancing - Patrick swayze dancing.. shirt less.. any straight women will enjoy that!
7. 21 - if you have a brain you will understand why it's so good!
8. all harry potter movies - I grew up with them, my father read them to me and my brother every single night and I saw all of them in the cinema!
9 all bourne movies - most people don't like matt damond, but i do and he is incredible in bourne.
10. All star wars movies - I thought they where crappy, with no real story. but then me and my brother had a star wars marathon and oh how wrong i was!

just want to add two more
1. Brokeback mountain - the sexual tension!
2. Into the wild - I don't have a reason, love everything with it!

I don't know how I can take someone who used the word "retard" in a semi-serious sentence seriously.

Unless you are a professional troll.

And, to my knowledge, Pay it Forward is not based on a true story.

well he was retarded...

I have heard it is based on a true story, however it's still a great movie!