"I don't want to star in a movie with some unknown Swedish broad"!

Tools    

george rafts reason for turning down casablanca !

he actually said that, i heard it on npr !

The truth is in here
That's a really dumb reason not to take the part, but Bogart is so fantastic in the role it's hard to imagine anyone else as Rick Blaine. Interestingly they not only starred in a movie together earlier, but Raft's last role was in one called The Man with Bogart's Face.

I remember reading once that George Raft had turned down a bunch of roles in great movies, including Double Indemnity and The Maltese Falcon!
George Raft had perhaps the worst judgement of any film star in Hollywood history. Now, everyone makes career mistakes, even stars with highly-paid advisers, but no one seemed to reject more scripts that turned out to be classics than Raft. Consider this list: Belle of the Nineties (1934), Dead End (1937), High Sierra (1941), The Maltese Falcon (1941), and Double Indemnity (1944). Raft was offered them all but stepped away. If not for George Raft, it’s unlikely Humphrey Bogart would have become a movie star.
https://www.filmink.com.au/stars-sto...s-george-raft/

C'mon, we all know the real reason was because there wasn't any dancing involved.

Wow. George Raft in Casablanca? As Rick? I guess they could have also had a piano player named Dave playing waltzes too, but fortunately THAT didn't happen either.