Movie Tab II

Tools    

Yeah, thanks a lot Holden. I knew you or somebody could help me out. I did in fact watch the edited 94 minute version. On the title screen it says that its the "happy ending" version. They almost seemed proud of the fact that Gilliam had nothing to do with it. It has been so long since I'd seen it that I was unsure if the original cut was longer.

I guess it just goes to show how bad my taste is because I still rather liked it. I will be tracking down the other versions as soon as I can.

I only have one disc from the Criterion collection, luckily it's the long version. Looks like I borrowed the right disc from my friend to copy. I've been putting it off watching it for a couple weeks, the last time I saw it must have been a good eight years ago. I usually wait until I'm in the right mood to watch a certain kind of film, I'm thinking I'll be in the right mood this weekend.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yeah, thanks a lot Holden. I knew you or somebody could help me out. I did in fact watch the edited 94 minute version. On the title screen it says that its the "happy ending" version. They almost seemed proud of the fact that Gilliam had nothing to do with it. It has been so long since I'd seen it that I was unsure if the original cut was longer.

I guess it just goes to show how bad my taste is because I still rather liked it. I will be tracking down the other versions as soon as I can.
Then I assume this was the Criterion disc you had. They labeled the butchering the "Love Conquers All" version, which Gilliam refers to derisively as the "Sid Sheinberg cut", Sheinberg being the Universal Studios executive he was warring with over the release of the film.

Get the rest of the Criterion discs. The supplements are amazing, Gilliam's commentary is very frank and revealing...oh, yeah, and the movie itself is awesome.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It Happened One Night
Frank Capra, 1934

After seeing how much I ended up loving You Can't Take It With You, I thought that I needed to check out some more of Capra's movies. I'm quite glad that I am because I'm really turning out to love his movies, and this is no expection. So far I've only seen two of his movies though, but I sure hope they stay as great as the two I watched. I didn't quite like this one as much as You Can't Take It With You, but I still ended up really liking it. I gave them the same rating actually. I'm really turning out to love older movies, and I don't know why I avioded watching them for so long. I'm glad I'm finally checking them out now, though. I guess you could consider the story sort of average for today's time at least, because it's been so overdone in romantic comedies now. I know it's really not average though, because this movie was done before any of those movies.

Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert had such great chemistry with each other. I think Capra makes great choices when choosing couples for his films, because they all seem to work out great, at least this and You Can't Take It With You. I'd say that this is one you need to check out if you haven't had the chance to yet. It's really a great movie.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Spirited Away

Loooooooooove. My introduction to anime, and it was a very very very good one. It was genius, I love everything about it. I want to go watch it again right now.

Howl's Moving Castle

Almost as lovable as Spirited Away, but I didn't like the main characters or the plot as much. Still incredibly creative, with plenty of "oh my god that's so awesome!" moments to make up for it's few shortcomings.

Princess Mononoke

I am a sucker for the earthy stuff. This movie had me at "Forest Spirit." I didn't think it was quite as impressive as the other two Miyazaki's though.

Idle Hands

Yay for horror comedies This one has exceptional quotability.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched two films by two European masters, both made well into their careers and at approximately the same time. What did I find? Does anybody care? Are they better than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? We'll see...

Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman, 1972)

Bergman's striking study of a dysfunctional family and how it relates to most any and perhaps all families is worthy of the attention of any serious filmwatcher. The thing to remember is that you need to be serious to be able to get the most out of this film because there is very little in the way of lightness to be found. The heaviness of the subject matter could wear some viewers down, but the acting is quite tremendous, as are the set design and costumes which basically fall into a black and white and red all over the walls, curtains, carpets, furniture, clothes, etc. In fact, it's rather appropriate that the manor most of the film takes place at is so full of red since red is the color of blood, and blood represents both life and death. The eldest sister Agnes (Harriet Andersson) is suffering incredible pain as she awaits death, attended to by her married sisters Karin (Ingrid Thulin) and Maria (Liv Ullmann), as well as her loving housekeeper Anna (Kari Sylwan). Eventually, all the sisters recall earlier times in their life when they were both seemingly happier and suffered and/or inflicted pain upon their loved ones, whether imaginary (still emotionally painful) or real.

Eventually, Agnes dies and is put out of her misery, but this just causes all the other main characters to recall or imagine the most intense experiences of their lives, and flashbacks again seem to fill all the characters' hearts and minds. Aside from the memorable color design, Cries and Whispers isn't that different from the intense psychodramas which Bergman was creating on an almost yearly basis. True, this one is probably easier to decipher than most, at least until the third and final act turns into a bona fide horror film and the corpse of Agnes attempts to make peace with her sisters from beyond the grave. This contains the soul of the movie, as well as the way the characters are shown to be able to weave around against each other almost like snakes.

No matter how cold, ruthless and bitterly-honest the film paints the human condition, it's the end of the film which shines an almost hopeful light on how people can attempt to relate to each other. It seems that it's only through the clarity of one's pain that someone can realize how well they have it here on earth, even with your family members who would rather just fight and nag at you over trivialities. You see, under the right conditions, everyone can be at peace and in love with everything and everyone. It's just that most people are too busy "living" to be kind, considerate and downright happy. The simple power of this film is that it takes a voice from the grave, of one who has let go of earthly pain and vanity, to remind those living and left behind how truly beautiful life can be if we only just experience it rather than worry over it. The film's actual ending is one of the most beautiful of any Bergman film, no matter how much suffering it takes to reach it.

Amarcord (Federico Fellini, 1973)

Fellini returned from the Dead (at least in my opinion) with Amarcord in 1973, after almost a decade of mostly surrealism for its own sake. I realize that he seems to have been reborn as a juvenile who is utterly obsessed with flatulence, urination, masturbation, and whatever the hell else which teenage kids obsessed about in 1930s Italy (oh yeah! American movies!) Amarcord literally means "I Remember", and it's obvious that Fellini remembers his youth in his "eccentric" township, but perhaps he also remembers some of his filmmaking past. However, Amarcord really has no plot whatsoever. Rather, it's a series of scenes involving Fellini and his family during the Mussolini era where his mother and father seemed to take turns acting the most histrionic while the rest of the family seemed to be too dense to realize what was going on or just too far into sex to care.

Fellini does cram in a lot of seemingly-autobiographical detail, and this is probably why the lack of plot seems not to matter. Fellini says up front, "I Remember", and who's to challenge him about the way his dreams or the memories of his past come out onto the screen? The film is mostly played for straight-up laughs, even farcical ones, so even when something serious comes along, it seems a bit light-hearted or almost melancholically wistful rather than anything honestly dramatic.

It's difficult though to say whether the film is truly affecting or just a CliffsNotes version of Fellini's youth. There are so many people yelling at each other, choking, screaming, grimacing, cussing, that it seems that Fellini doesn't even remember how to depict an honest emotion. However, he can certainly depict cinematic emotions and create an enormous world out of one small setbound town, so his cinematic skills are very much on display in Amarcord. His satire of fascism as just the same thing as mommy and daddy yelling at each other is a possible point, along with some of the laments depicted in the ocean liner scene, but overall, I'd say that Amarcord is more entertaining than Cries and Whispers, but probably less worthy of serious discussion. Even so, you could do much worse than watching these two films back-to-back some time.

Bank holiday mondays = stay in bed and watch films all day! So yesterday i watched:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND

THE BREAKFAST CLUB

FIGHT CLUB

SIN CITY

BACK TO THE FUTURE: PART 1

Then i got tired and had to sleep but i think i did well for a days viewing
mermermer... panties on.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Raising Helen

I'm not gonna lie, i stayed up till gone 1am to finish watching this movie. I actually really like it and maybe thats cause im a sucker for Garry Marshall films or that I secretly like Kate Hudson. Im not sure.

This film is both predictable and unpredictable. Its obvious whats going to happen but it doesnt quite happen in the way you think it will. Theres a definite lack of tension in this movie; it just moves along far too smoothly, which is unusual given the plotline. However it is pretty sweet and funny and the characters arent exactly what you'd expect. Not bad at all.

Welcome to the human race...
A double bill of a pair of old favourites...

Ninja Scroll (Kawajiri, 1993) -
+

I am somewhat of a philistine when it comes to animé in that more often than not, I watch the English re-dubbing instead of the original Japanese. Hence, I opted to turn on the Japanese dub for what I'm guessing is my fourth or fifth viewing. I have to admit, Ninja Scroll is gradually losing its appeal (for me, anyway). I don't know if it's entirely due to the fact that I watched it with the original audio (I felt a similar reaction when I watched Akira in Japanese) or maybe the fact that the film is genuinely starting to wear a little thin. The latter would not surprise me - after all, there's only so much entertainment you can wring from a relatively superficial film like Ninja Scroll.

Still, for what it's worth, Ninja Scroll is entertaining enough in spite of its slight emphasis on style over substance. The plot's reasonably strong, revolving around a wandering "ninja" and his encounters with a variety of bizarre characters that are all involved in an evil conspiracy to take over feudal Japan, and it actually has a decent emotional undercurrent due to the relationship that forms between lead ninja Jubei and Kagero, a vengeful and bitter female ninja. The incredibly fluid and violent animation is a plus, but as I mentioned earlier, it's not really holding up too well to repeat viewings. I may give it another go later on, but yeah.

Battle Royale (Fukusaku, 2000) -

I've often seen some of my older posts from around 2005-2006 where I was a rampant Battle Royale fanboy, mentioning it in half the topics I posted in. That's the kind of hold this film used to have on me, and yes, I remember it really was an amazing film in my eyes. Flash forward a few years to what I'm guessing is my 12th viewing and yeah, I still enjoy it. Of course, I'm no longer at the point where I'm mentioning scenes or quotes as my all-time favourite death scenes or whatever (although some of them are still rather good), but it'll lalways mean something to me. Even though I can see its flaws much more clearly (and Battle Royale does have its fair share), it's still a rather enjoyable film. This cracked my old Top 100 list at #13 - I think I'll have to knock it down to the bottom half now, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I still like Battle Royale, and there may be a time when I don't, but it's not today.

I've watched Ninja Scroll something like 5 times spread over 15 years. The last time I saw it I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe you should give it 3-5 years before you go back to it yet again.

Not that i mind slow films with minimal narrative but this one did take a bit effort to get into with ultimately no real payoff. It's a kinda similar to City of God without the cinematic flair but here we have several narrative threads following different characters within varying stretches of gang society. It utilises a very gritty aesthetic and unflinching portrayal of violence and people around it which does make for an interesting insight and nice counter part to many of the glamourised gangster accounts. There some nice touches and decent performances, reminded me a bnit of what i've seen of The Wire for another point of reference.

I've not seen any Mike Leigh flicks before so wasn't sure what to expect, it's an interesting character study of Poppy, bubbly primary school teacher who tries to put a smile on everyones face. To begin with she kinda grates but it's not until you see past her persona that can really respect how finely crafter a character she is. There's characters in her background but none shine past her driving instructor who gives a great performance of almost the counter part to Poppy. As British films go, liked the fact it wasn't a gritty depressing type or the Richard Curtis embarassment type so kudos for that.

In the Beginning...
Shutter (Ochiai, 2008)

Let me be clear. I had no intention of watching this. I don't generally get into horror films, much less Japanese originals-turned-remakes starring popular, attractive Anglo-Saxon young people. I loathe The Ring, and make a conscious attempt to avoid films of its ilk. I know this is probably narrow-minded, but I get the impression that the stereotypical Japanese horror "edge" is an acquired taste, and the remakes are bastardizations of that anyway.

This film suffers from a ho-hum plot that's really only strung together by ghostly encounter after ghostly encounter. The actors (or perhaps greater creative entities, more so) don't really have a handle on how real people would react to unreal circumstances, such as having a clearly transient non-person feel you up. These encounters, in terms of imagery, are rather creepy and engaging, however. Perhaps a little too flashy (no pun intended) later on, but effective nonetheless. Still, I can't recommend it.

Registered Creature
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Mamoru Hosoda - 2006).

The main character Motoko something's school skirt is waaaaay too short. I know it's nothing new to anime, I mean there are eleven year-old girls with double d's for crying out loud, but I don't understand the need for it to be SUCH a short length. There are a couple of scenes in the film where she "falls over" - let's just say one would think she wasn't even wearing any underpants.

6/10. I watched it in the dub, and it wasn't too bad, actually.

I'm actually about to watch that one right now Daffodil , I don't have a problem with short skirts.

(then I'm gona watch that racoon flick with their balls hanging out ............)

Registered Creature
Yeah, I'm gonna go watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind later..

I feel kind of filthy, corrupting America's youth. My gf thought she was too cool to like anime, but I recently showed her this awesome thing:

...and now it looks like it might be her gateway into the tawdry world of shojo.