Verhoeven Club - Starship Troopers

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Well if it isn't one of Verhoeven's I haven't seen yet.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Well if it isn't one of Verhoeven's I haven't seen yet.
It's hilarious fun.

It's more than fun, it's uber-dynamic!

I remember on IMDB movie page a thread about Starship Troopers that was pretty entertaining. One guy was furious that the male and female marines took showers together, ha! He was really bent out of shape over that scene. I always thought it was funny Crazy Stuff...

It's more than fun, it's uber-dynamic!

I remember on IMDB movie page a thread about Starship Troopers that was pretty entertaining. One guy was furious that the male and female marines took showers together, ha! He was really bent out of shape over that scene. I always thought it was funny Crazy Stuff...
LOL I saw you post that in Gideon's thread and wondered if you had the right one.

Amazing what people get offended by. People getting their brains blown out but a shower scene? Good grief.

LOL I saw you post that in Gideon's thread and wondered if you had the right one.
Ha, you're fast, you might have been the only person to see that post before I deleted it, so I could post it here. Yup I'm confused again

Amazing what people get offended by. People getting their brains blown out but a shower scene? Good grief.
And the crazy thing was, it wasn't about nudity, as in topless women, he hated the very idea of it. I need to watch ST again

Ha, you're fast, you might have been the only person to see that post before I deleted it, so I could post it here. Yup I'm confused again

And the crazy thing was, it wasn't about nudity, as in topless women, he hated the very idea of it. I need to watch ST again
Hey stuff happens. I laughed because I thought you were going to comment on Hayley Mills.

Yeah I totally got that's what upset him. Pretty typical faux offence on that site.

I really liked the redhead. Her kick ass scene was great.

Hey stuff happens. I laughed because I thought you were going to comment on Hayley Mills...
That's ironic, cause I just took a glance at the babe thread and seen your pic of Hayley and commented, then I seen this post, spooky I tell ya

Yeah, Gideon is a fan of Hayley, so am I. I last seen her on an old episode of The Love Boat....which I realize has nothing to do with Starship Troopers So I better go back to work.

That's ironic, cause I just took a glance at the babe thread and seen your pic of Hayley and commented, then I seen this post, spooky I tell ya

Yeah, Gideon is a fan of Hayley, so am I. I last seen her on an old episode of The Love Boat....which I realize has nothing to do with Starship Troopers So I better go back to work.
It's OK. In my neck of the woods it's friday so you're allowed to get random.

Watching with the Verhoeven and Neumeier commentary on...

They've said one of the reasons Troopers is so OTT with the Nazism, is that people accused RoboCop of being a fascist movie whereas they didn't think it was that much of a fascist film
"Like, you want to see a movie about fascism? Righto"

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Ironpony, what do you think was the message of Starship Troopers? And weren't you thrilled when the humans win?
I don't remember being thrilled at all, but maybe it's because I felt the movie was pretty routine from what I remember. I remember for the first third, the message was how the government wants people to join the army, even though it is in the governments primary interest, rather than that of the people, but I felt that message got lost and forgotten about as the movie went on.

Is that the message you mean?

Watching with the Verhoeven and Neumeier commentary on...

They've said one of the reasons Troopers is so OTT with the Nazism, is that people accused RoboCop of being a fascist movie whereas they didn't think it was that much of a fascist film
"Like, you want to see a movie about fascism? Righto"
I watched about half of that commentary. I've been meaning to get back to it.

I read that when Starship Troopers was first announced, some reviewers and media types called Verhoeven a Nazi and critized the movie, even though it hadn't even been released and they had never seen it. Ever since some have mistaken the movie for a pro Nazi/Facisit film, it's not of course...but that's why I think some object to it. If you read enough reviews you can see that people have a moral objection to having the good guys being Nazis. Of course the fans know that's not what Verhoeven was portraying in the movie.

It's more like Verhoeven was calling Heinlein a Nazi as the movie was in many ways a lampoon of the book (which Verhoeven never finished reading after he decided it was a piece of fascist propaganda).

ita a fun popcorn typical verhoeven stuff, classic 90s sci action

ita a fun popcorn typical verhoeven stuff, classic 90s sci action
I have to respectfully disagree, Starship Troopers is so much more than just a fun popcorn movie...though it works on popcorn level too.

I have to say this film is a guilty pleasure to me,especially that it has micheal ironside in it, shame that ironside won t be in top gun 2,i liked his character

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One movie I feel is a lot like Starship Troopers is District 9, as it as well is about fascist humans at war with aliens. Does anyone think it's similar?