Do you like to travel?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I used to. Besides traveling North America. I've been overseas 6 times, and my last 3 trips averaged 6 months. I got it out of my system, and the cultural exchange got more and more lacking, (mostly thanks to this obsession with phones) so I won't be traveling in the future unless the opportunity of a lifetime calls for it (which I highly doubt).

Traveling is great except the traveling part.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Add to the note that I watched Last Action Hero this week. It's (sigh) better than I remember.

My preference was for a gif of Murtaugh s*itting on bomb. Implied to be you. This will do for meow.

I love to travel. But I do it quite rarely. Because finances don't allow me to travel often. I would visit Texas. I've been dreaming about it for a long time. Texas is the southernmost state in the United States and one of the most colorful in the whole country. For almost all travelers it's known for its Wild West temperament, cowboys, ranches, and westerns. I on the other hand was drawn to the place by the hospitality of the locals. And the daily music festivals. The amazing barbecue and the most beautiful sunset. I want to get a map of Texas beforehand. So I don't get lost while I'm there. And I'd love to take a trip.
The great state of Texas! I agree. But actually Key West, Florida is the southernmost city in the U.S., so Florida would really be the southernmost state. And Key West is much closer to Havana than it is to Miami.

I use to like to travel before covid, haven't went anywhere on vacation since the pandemic started. I use to do road trips camping in state and national parks, like John Dumbear. I use to take cruises too, as dollar per dollar it was the cheapest way to travel. I might need to do that again, though covid and pandemic procedures will decide that.

Yes but not for a few years now especially lately... Got all my long distance travelling in during the late 90s and early 00s. Don't think I'll be bothering with planes for a while now...

If any travel it will probably be UK and mainland Europe holidays. Or long distance where we can get there by land travel.

Add to the note that I watched Last Action Hero this week. It's (sigh) better than I remember.
It holds up really well! The meta premise is kind of par for the course now but at the time it wasn't. I think it failed in part because it was a good decade ahead of its time in that regard.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It holds up really well! The meta premise is kind of par for the course now but at the time it wasn't. I think it failed in part because it was a good decade ahead of its time in that regard.
Yeah, I admit it was pretty good this time around. I think, for me at the time, I was like a junior in highschool and felt the "fart joke" was too juvenile. I probably dismissed it outright for the trailer alone thinking it was another notch fall from Terminator grace following Kindergarten Cop. Had I been a few years younger or older, it all might have landed better with me. That and the main kid reminded me of my uncle for some reason and that bugged me. I think?

I enjoyed it this time and I'll be OK with that after a few more therapy sessions. Maybe in another 30 years I can revisit Annoldihilation and enjoy it then too?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Love traveling, but lack the financial means to fly, rent cars, resort fees, etc. So, my vacations always involve being behind the wheel. I love to drive and have driven in 41 states and four provinces, I have splurged a handful of times to rent a small van camper and travel that way. Been to many National Parks using this route.

I have taken one cruise (Cozumel, Jamaica and Turks/Caicos Island} and one resort vacation (The Caymans). Both were fun, but wouldn't do it again. The costs were always in the back of my mind.
What's your fav national park so far

What's your fav national park so far

1 - Yellowstone / Tetons / Devils Tower/ Badlands / Black Hills / Wind Cave / Little Big Horn. Also, so much in between..Greatest three week vacation I ever had.

2 - Mammoth Cave (love caves)
3 - Carlsbad Caverns
4 - Rocky Mountains
5 - Smokey Mountains
6 - The four parks in SE Utah
7 - Hiked Isle Royale as a Boy Scout lad. You talk about being alone!

1 - Yellowstone / Tetons / Devils Tower/ Badlands / Black Hills / Wind Cave / Little Big Horn. Also, so much in between..Greatest three week vacation I ever had.

2 - Mammoth Cave (love caves)
3 - Carlsbad Caverns
4 - Rocky Mountains
5 - Smokey Mountains
6 - The four parks in SE Utah
7 - Hiked Isle Royale as a Boy Scout lad. You talk about being alone!
Was at Devil's tower, Badlands and Wind Cave in September. Theodore Roosevelt too. Loved it. Can't wait for Yellowstone and Tetons

DO NOT go in June, black fly season.
I'll make a note.

Here's my ranking so far:
1. Olympic
2. Mount Rainier
3. Theodore Roosevelt
4. Grand Canyon
5. Badlands
6. Cuyahoga
7. Gateway arch
8. Wind Cave

I have been to Rocky Mountain too, but I was too young so I won't rank it.

I’ve only been west of the continental divide twice. Once a junket to Vegas and my SE Utah trip. Never seen the Pacific, but been to Arcadia in Maine. lol
I'm basically opposite of you in that I've only been to the East Coast once and that was Florida.

Here's the ones I really look forward to. Obviously really all of them but especially these:

Zion
Crater Lake
Yellowstone
Acadia
Denali
Redwood
Haleakala

Maybe not your thing, but have also visited many Civil War sites. I'm fascinated about this era. Gettysburg, Lookout Mt., Bull Run, Appomattox, Chancellorville, Richmond, Andersonville., Shiloh.

Maybe not your thing, but have also visited many Civil War sites. I'm fascinated about this era. Gettysburg, Lookout Mt., Bull Run, Appomattox, Chancellorville, Richmond, Andersonville., Shiloh.
Sure would love to see that stuff. Haven't yet though.

Yes but not for a few years now especially lately... Got all my long distance travelling in during the late 90s and early 00s. Don't think I'll be bothering with planes for a while now...

If any travel it will probably be UK and mainland Europe holidays. Or long distance where we can get there by land travel.

Sympathise. My flying phobia first surfaced around 10 years ago, but I thought it was due to over-exposure as a kid, when owing to my father’s job I would travel from Tunisia to Bali and live all over the globe for 7-8 months at a time with all the chaos and incidents that entails.

But it has only been getting worse since then, and when I was landing in Agadir with 0 visibility in thick white fog (must have been 2016), screeching sounds from all directions and injury-inducing turbulence, I realised that was definitely it.

Haven’t really got over it, that entire holiday I was lying on the beach catatonic dreading the flight back (“killjoy” doesn’t begin to cover it). Have been to Israel since out of the long-distance ones but have been avoiding air travel almost completely.

Speaking of why we’re here, have been needing to self-medicate with films because alcohol and coffee and tranquillisers get old. The last 10+ times I had to fly, I would put on a movie before everyone finished getting on the plane. Interestingly, my demeanour must have given away that it was bad because no one ever challenged me/tried to make me pause for takeoff.

My father can not only pilot but more or less build a variety of planes should life demand it, and he’s done his best to rationalise away to me how safe it all is, but I think that just made it worse. Now I just avoid getting out of London unless it’s a Eurostar to Paris, so in that sense the pandemic hasn’t made the slightest difference.