Do you like to travel?

Tools    

I am very. Of course, the possibilities are pretty limited right now because of the pandemic. And I'm waiting for it to finally be over. And I can fly somewhere. Where would you like to go?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
No.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I love to travel. But I do it quite rarely. Because finances don't allow me to travel often. I would visit Texas. I've been dreaming about it for a long time. Texas is the southernmost state in the United States and one of the most colorful in the whole country. For almost all travelers it's known for its Wild West temperament, cowboys, ranches, and westerns. I on the other hand was drawn to the place by the hospitality of the locals. And the daily music festivals. The amazing barbecue and the most beautiful sunset. I want to get a map of Texas beforehand. So I don't get lost while I'm there. And I'd love to take a trip.

Yup. To the couch, kitchen, bathroom, lots of places. I'm a citizen of the world, some might say.

The trick is not minding
I like traveling to weekend getaways. Although that hasn’t happened as often, lately.
I have a groups of friends I vacation with. My brother comes along as well. Old High school friends.
Weekends in a cabin at Raystown Lake, vacations to The Outer Banks and Las Vegas. New Year’s Eve Weekend at a resort in the Poconos, as well as once in a cabin complete with a hot tub.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Anymore, the only travel I do is when I drive to visit the mom. She used to be in VA, which was a roughly 12-hour drive one way. Earlier this year we moved her about two hours away, which is a much easier and more frequent drive.

As to vacations, that is a foreign word to me. Most any vacation I take is usually chores around the house, yardwork, and the job sending me more work. The last proper travel I did was to Thailand and Korea back at the start of 2012, I believe. I did get to goto Thailand in I think 2007 and visited three provinces. That was pretty neat. Beaches, Bangkok, and country hills all in about a two-week window. I seriously doubt I will ever travel like that again. The job is just too demanding to safely carve out so much time at once. That and the money. That's expensive =\

I did rent a cabin back in 2015 for the ex. That was pretty neat. Up in the mountains of Ponca, Arkansas. I guess we were there four days. Hell of a drive though, but that was cool. Behind the cabin was a downward hill slope into a thin tree line. Past the tree line was a sheer cliff over a river valley below. That was a drop. Kind of scary now that I think about it. Nights were cold and windy. It sounded like 20 ninjas all running along the roof. Crazy. You could see stars forever too, if you could tolerate the wind at night. I never saw a bear, but I attracted a handful of racoons while grilling out.

There's not really much in the U.S. that I'm interested to visit. I hate sunshine and blue skies. Oh, and people. So that limits my options some. I would like to travel to New Bedford, Massachusetts one day to see the history there. Whaling ships, the location of the 54th Regiment sign-up booth, the Underground Railroad locations, etc. One day, hopefully before I retire. That's about all that I'd be interested in off the top of my...oh wait. It might be cool to see a glacier. Yeah. Those two are probably on a bucket list I started and lost somewhere.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yes, but with qualifications. I hate tourists destinations. I hate resorts. I hate the idea of travelling anywhere where I'm just going to be with a bunch of people who are also travelling.

I like going to places where I can mix amongst the locals, and be an outsider. Observe things I'm not familiar with. I remember when I was on a train going to Paris, I wanted to get off as I passed all of the small French villages you can see in the countryside as you make your way there. Going to these places that probably had names I'd never heard of seemed infinitely more interesting to me. Ultimately, Paris was still pretty great, in regards to all the buildings and the locals and the cafes. But there were also all these other gawkers just milling about and taking photographs and I wanted nothing to do with any of them. I didn't come all the way here to see a bunch of people bumbling about like myself. I went there to get away from anything that reminded me of me.

Personally, I think travelling is one of the most rewarding things you can do (even when the mangy tourists get in the way) . Unfortunately I rarely do it, since my paralyzing fear of flying limits how often I'm willing to go visit any of the kinds of places I really want to see, which are almost always across the ocean from me (most of the rest of Europe, India, Russia, China, Vietnam, Iceland)

I love to travel. Waiting in airport security lines, sitting in an airplane for several hours, waiting to check in to a hotel, etc., is a drag, but it's worth the annoyance when it's all over with. In my experience, the best way to travel is to not fill every day with events, whether they're tours, hikes, etc. It's best to do that every other day and to not have a schedule on the other days not only so you can relax, get situated and take breathers from the events, but also because the most memorable moments during vacations tend to happen unexpectedly. My best vacations have been in the U.K., Iceland, Las Vegas, New York, Banff, and Vancouver. My dream destinations are Switzerland - mostly just to gaze upon Lauterbrunnen in person - Australia and New Zealand.

If you also like to travel and you have or are planning to have a baby, you can still do it, but it's best to wait until they're 6+ months old, keep the trip to 2-3 days at the most and only go to places within driving distance, ideally to ones where you don't have to leave where you're staying very often. Besides having to contend with your child's nap schedule, it's not easy for them to adjust to sleeping in a strange place. The best vacation we've been to with my son is an Airbnb at a farm because all of the entertainment was right there, and it was a joy to see him react to all of the animals.

Oh. And Australia. I'd like to go there once. Maybe leave an American frog on Iro's doorstep. kidding of course, but there are a few online friends I've made that I'd like to swing by and pop them upside the head.

Hard to answer with a simple "yes" or "no." Kinda both.

The "no" part is I can be kinda hypervigilant, so airports and planes and big public spaces (particularly those I'm not familiar with) can be kind of exhausting to be in. I like being highly familiar with the places I am, I like moving through them and around them without thinking. I pick things up kind of slowly sometimes but am generally very good at things once I'm used to them, which is mostly a statement about skills but applies to just living in a place, too.

The "yes" part is that I like logistics, I like preparing and feeling prepared, and there's definitely something fun about suitcase triage and having things ready to make the trip as enjoyable as possible, even if the trip is inherently uncomfortable (like a 4-5 hour plane ride, or a drive of a similar length). Also, of course, new places are just inherently interesting and exciting.

I found a happy medium the last few years by going to the same place, Seattle, like five years in a row. By the third year I knew my way around fairly well, but could still find new places and do new things. It was an interesting feeling, to travel and have a place feel new and different, but still familiar.

Generally speaking I'm much more tolerant of travel and its downsides than I used to be, though, and I plan to do more of it rather than less over the next decade or two.

Not really, no. That's not to say I don't quite like arriving somewhere else and on occasion I've even been delighted to be leaving somewhere else. But the travelling to and from - nope, it's normally a chore. Only exceptions have been when we've toured by rail, once across Sweden/Norway (on normal trains) and once around Switzerland (on the Glacier Express).

Worst journey was one we used to do every year for a while, between here and Las Vegas - roughly a 16-18 hr trip each way, 99% of it spent either waiting to get on or flying in one of those tin cans with seats. If I never see LAX again I'll die a somewhat happy man - crappiest airport I've ever had the misfortune to spend many an hour in.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
There's not really much in the U.S. that I'm interested to visit. I hate sunshine and blue skies. Oh, and people.
*updates file, “ nastywoof”. page 84*

*updates file, “ nastywoof”. page 84*
Add to the note that I watched Last Action Hero this week. It's (sigh) better than I remember.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Very much so, I like to see new places, do different things, and speak new languages. However, I might never travel internationally again because:

-i have digestive problems

-money

-the flipside of people being great is they are also terrible

Plus, I take care of animals

Love traveling, but lack the financial means to fly, rent cars, resort fees, etc. So, my vacations always involve being behind the wheel. I love to drive and have driven in 41 states and four provinces, I have splurged a handful of times to rent a small van camper and travel that way. Been to many National Parks using this route.

I have taken one cruise (Cozumel, Jamaica and Turks/Caicos Island} and one resort vacation (The Caymans). Both were fun, but wouldn't do it again. The costs were always in the back of my mind.