Top Ten Favorite Movies...EVER

Tools    

This is iron clad. This is the ultimate, unchanging, eternal top ten. If anyone else has this figured out please post them.

10) Shaun of the Dead
9) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
8) Clerks
7) The Big Lebowski
6) Sin City
5) Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
4) Back to the Future Trilogy
3) Planet of the Apes Series (the originals ONLY!)
2) Man on the Moon
1) The Devil's Rejects

These are the ten that will always do it for me

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
So no film will EVER break that top ten????

Suspect's Reviews

Well, I'm sure we've had lots of personal top ten of all-time type lists before, but might as well start a new one as people's tastes might have shifted anyway and we've got lots of newer folks.

1. Chinatown
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
4. Casablanca
5. BladeRunner
6. Rashômon
7. North by Northwest
8. GoodFellas
9. Once Upon A Time in the West
10. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Captain Driftwood
This is iron clad. This is the ultimate, unchanging, eternal top ten. If anyone else has this figured out please post them.

10) Shaun of the Dead
9) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
8) Clerks
7) The Big Lebowski
6) Sin City
5) Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
4) Back to the Future Trilogy
3) Planet of the Apes Series (the originals ONLY!)
2) Man on the Moon
1) The Devil's Rejects

Nice list. But since you seem to favor a lot of newer movies as favorites...can you be sure that there aren't movies yet to be released, that will dethrone some of those?

I couldn't give a solid ten, but 4 that always come to mind are:

Beauty and the Beast
The Big Lebowski
Apocalypse Now
Dr. Strangelove

Worryingly, aside from Beauty and the Beast, these are probably all my dad's favourite films, and I'm even doing my degree in the same subject he did! Another of his favourites is O Brother Where Art Thou? which, again, I think is marvellous.

There are many other contenders though, Grosse Pointe Blank and The Killer come to mind - I like a bit of hired murder. As well as Steven Soderbergh's Out of Sight which I find endlessly entertaining. Seven Samurai and Rashomon would come very highly but I've only seen them two and one times respectively so they haven't really stood the test of time yet. Oh, and Se7en deserves a mention; brilliant film, far, far better than Fight Club.

10) Hustle & Flow(2005 - Craig Brewer)

The story may not be original but what the film lacks in plot it greatly makes up for in acting and sense of style. it really nails the Memphis style and what its like to live there. the actors really bring these great characters and world to life.
9) The Warriors(1979 - Walter Hill)

A simple tale of survival, I love how director Walter Hill put so much thought into the hundreds of gangs even though most are only seen for a few seconds.
8) Dawn of the Dead(1979 - George A. Romero)

The undisputed king of zombie films. some may argue night of the living dead should get that honor but this film is everything that was but better. Romero really did everything he could with his bigger budget sequel and had both a gory zombie flick and an outlook on society at the same time. Most people can't make a gory gross horror movie and still have it mean something.
7) Clerks(1994 - Kevin Smith)

I have yet to see a movie that i have seen so many times and still find hilarious. Next to Chasing Amy this in my opinion is the best showcase for Kevin Smith's writing talent. So many likeable characters and the first appearance of the now famous(and overused) Jay and Silent bob characters
6) Pulp Fiction(1994 - Quentin Tarantino)

This movie single handedly got me into watching movies. After watching this I was hooked on movies. Tarantino may not be the best director out there but he will always be one of my favorite directors for this film.
5) The Evil Dead(1981 - Sam Raimi)

whenever someone wants to watch a cheesy low budget B horror movie I always direct them to this. Its gritty horror at its finest and Sam Raimi doesn't hold anything back. Usualy not as remembered as Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness but I find it so much better than the sequels. I love the horror atmosphere and Ash may be a coward but he plays the scared shy character very well
4) Goodfellas(1990 - Martin Scorsese)

What can be said about one of the most popular gangster movies that hasn't already been said. This film does everything right, great actors to portray even better characters, great in depth look into these people's lives and it just captivates you until the credits start to roll.
3) The Shining(1980 - stanley kubrick)

This is a great example of a truley frightining film. I guarantee you no matter how many times you have seen it, watch it alone and you will still be scared out of your mind. Jack Nicholson is perfect in his roll of Jack Torrence. Kubrick uses his great directorial skills to play tricks on you and really makes us wonder what will be behind every corner in the hotel.
2) Halloween(1978 - John Carpenter)

The first horror movie I have ever seen and no one character haunted my childhood as much as Michael Myers. John Carpenter really turned straw into gold with this movie. with relatively no blood it still stands as the king of slasher flicks. spawning 7 sequels and another one on the way. Carpenters classic will never be beat
1) Taxi Driver(1976 - Martin Scorsese)

Taxi Driver is more than just a movie, its an outlook into the mind of a deeply disturbed individual. we slowely see Travis turn from a man barley holding on to his sanity to losing it and letting insanity take over. often remembered for its action packed ending but its more than that. I could talk about this movie all day,

So many good movies, so little time.
1.The Searchers (1956)
2. Godfather (1972)
3. Casablanca (1942)
4. Citizen Kane (1941)
5. The Seven Samurai (1954)
6. Unforgiven (1992)
7. Godfather 2 (1974)
8. Some Like it Hot (1959)
9. North by Northwest (1959)
10. Double Indemnity (1944)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

As far as any film on the list being dethroned goes, I would most likely just have a tie for a given position rather than knock any of those films out...if that makes any sense.

Question too hard, Too many movies.

I'll just post my top five:
5. Dr. Strangelove
4. Tommy Boy
3. Animal House
2. The Big Lebowski
1. The Shining

First off, I must say that I was INCREDIBLY anxious to see House of 100 Corpses, and then after being let down...was ironically excited when I heard about Rejects

Devil's Rejects...

...Has to be one of the worst movies ever...right next to House of 1000 Corpses...

Bad...ahem...horrible acting...their idiotic lines were more horrifying than their killing methods

Good story, if you don't consider it being a slightly altered Texas Chainsaw Massacre knockoff...

Cpt. Spaulding could be such a great character if Mr. Zombie could direct him better, he doesn't come across "scary" at all..Spaulding brings me to my next point...so all the characters are named after Groucho Marx characters, so what? whats the point with such a reference?

the ONLY aspect of the film that was maybe worthy of not being called crap was the performance from William Forsythe as the Sheriff

Horrorphiliac

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Every single film here is 10/10 in my book - maybe not in yours, but who cares.

10. Once Upon A Time In The West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

9. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985)

8. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)

7. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1990)

6. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)

5. Scarface (Brian DePalma, 1983)

4. This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984)

3. The Warriors (Walter Hill, 1979)

2. The Blues Brothers (John Landis, 1980)

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)

I would have to agree. Great stuff.

I wipe my ass with your feelings

The Shawshank Redemption

Se7en

Goodfellas

Amelie

Taxi Driver

Snatch

American History X

Boondock Saints

Casablanca

Good Will Hunting

Thought about it. There you go.
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

I'd have to agree with Godsend's the most, so far...(although I'd replace a couple!)

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Captain Driftwood

My list isn't iron clad because there are lot of movies that always 'do it' for me and it depends on my mood at the time of writing. Here's a re-hash of some of my all time favorites.

Top Hat (1935)
Pride and Prejudice (1940, 1995 mini-series)
Sense and Sensibilty (1995)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
City Lights (1931)
It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
The Joy Luck Club (1993)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003..Extended Version)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)

The Face of Another

Limbo

Prospero's Books

The Lady From Shanghai

The Red Shoes

Vengeance is Mine

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Akira

The Seventh Seal

Lawrence of Arabia

Success is the only Earthly judge..
Well let's see:

Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
X-2
Tommy Boy
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
Batman Forever(best of the bat movies)
Final Fantasy: Advent Children
A Walk to Remember(simply because they fall in love and she dies)
Dracula 3000(because I couldn't think of a better movie)

10. An American Werewolf In London
9. Ed Wood
8. Blood Simple
7. The Thin Blue Line (doc.)
6. The Indian Runner
5. True Romance
4. Cool Hand Luke
3. Raging Bull
2. Goodfellas
1. Sling Blade

10 other movies I can watch over and over again:

Dawn Of The Dead (either one)
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Midnight Run
Tombstone
John Carpenter's The Thing
28 Days Later
RoboCop
In The Line Of Fire
Aliens
Salems' Lot

In no order:

Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
The Big Lebowski
The Crow
Chinatown
Aliens
Oldboy
Hard Boiled
Mulholland Drive
Do The Right Thing

Lost in never never land
1. Finding Neverland
2. Donnie Darko
3. The Virgin Suicides
4. American Beauty
5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
6. Boondock Saints
7. A Clockwork Orange
8. Dr. Strangelove
9. Primer
10. Serenity and Crash (tie)

Honorable mention: MirrorMask (it really should be on the list, but I don't know which one I would take off)

Here is my top 10

1.The exorcist
2.Revenge of the Nerds
3.The Doors
4.Pet sematary
5.Stand by me
6.La Bamba
7.Weird Science
8.Me,Myself and Irene
9.vaction (the first one)
10.Theres something about mary

honorable mentions: