New Star Wars Worth It?

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Alright, as I already own the Laser Disc rips on DVD, I was a bit hesitant about going and buying the new Star Wars DVDs. Today however, I picked up Empire Strikes Back to see just how good they are. While it isn't astonishing, they are worth getting. Here's a comparison of the three versions of Empire Strikes Back that I own.

Edited and Filled With Crap:

Limited Edition Theatrical Release

Laser Disc Rips

Now as you can see, there is a big difference in the edited and theatrical releases. It's mostly the color and the format. The edited one is better fit for 16:9 TVs and has brighter/better color.

The other difference is from the theatrical to the ripped. The ripped one looks like it's out of focus compared to the limited edition disc that comes with the new DVD releases. So if you hate the new crap and hate out of focus Laser Disc rips, grab the limited edition ones.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You are probably better off waiting until next year. It's been basically confirmed that a huge box set with all 6 films is going to be released, and I wouldn't count out actual anamorphic transfers of the original versions of IV-VI.

Although, if they sell well enough this week, it'll be interesting to see what Lucas does...

Beware The Probe!
As long as Han shoots first...
It's probably worth it.

Both versions are available on the new DVDs anyway aren't they?

Originally Posted by Sci-Fi-Guy
Both versions are available on the new DVDs anyway aren't they?
Yes, the first disc has the edited one and the second disc has the unaltered theatrical release.

Originally Posted by Don Fishies
You are probably better off waiting until next year. It's been basically confirmed that a huge box set with all 6 films is going to be released, and I wouldn't count out actual anamorphic transfers of the original versions of IV-VI.
I'll probably end up buying that box set too. I'm pretty supportive of the Star Wars trilogy. However, the possibilities of them making the original versions anamorphic is very low. George Lucas has said tons of times that those weren't his vision of the films. He's in control and I don't see him making the originals any better then what's on these DVDs.

BTW, if you pick up these Limited Editions at Walmart you can get the comic book of each film as well. So I see myself picking up the other two today.

Originally Posted by jrs
You can go to Best Buy and get all three in a limited tin.
And do you get the comics?

After watching the entire movie tonight, I'm convinced that these are the BEST releases of Star Wars yet.

Not quite sure about the comics. When u say comics though, are they reprints of the original Marvel SW comics or new ones for the set?

Originally Posted by John McClane
And do you get the comics?

After watching the entire movie tonight, I'm convinced that these are the BEST releases of Star Wars yet.

However, the possibilities of them making the original versions anamorphic is very low. George Lucas has said tons of times that those weren't his vision of the films. He's in control and I don't see him making the originals any better then what's on these DVDs.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I could see him not doing it, but the fact that for years he claimed that the "original versions" of the films were long destroyed and no longer existed..only to pop back up now for this "Limited Edition" release, and rumours I read that there in fact were Anamorphic transfers for the original film shown in France...leads me to believe that it would not be totally out of the realm of possibility.

As for me caring either way? I really don't. I have the original DVD trilogy set released back in 2004 with the Special Special Edition versions of the films, and they looked great and I wasn't bothered by any of the changes. The only way I'll trade them in, and my copies of I-III is if the huge box set actually has some fairly substantial new stuff on it. If they are just fluff pieces and all the old features, then I won't even bother.

Plus, since Fox has really gotten bad with the bilingualising of covers in Canada, I really don't like the idea of them ruining my all English covers (especially after all the trouble it took me to get an all English cover for Episode III).

Originally Posted by Don Fishies

Plus, since Fox has really gotten bad with the bilingualising of covers in Canada, I really don't like the idea of them ruining my all English covers (especially after all the trouble it took me to get an all English cover for Episode III).
You could just go here and get an exact 100% lookalike. It works for me for some titles when I need duplicate covers.

Originally Posted by jrs
You could just go here and get an exact 100% lookalike. It works for me for some titles when I need duplicate covers.
Good idea, may just work for some of my newer ones...

Here is what makes no sense to me. It's been done before so why couldnt he do it again by making one disc with the options of having the latest version imputed in the scenes or keeping the old one on? Why create another entire disk when he could have used it for special features? There is barely anything but a 'directors' commentary on one disk. Brutal and a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Escape
Here is what makes no sense to me. It's been done before so why couldnt he do it again by making one disc with the options of having the latest version imputed in the scenes or keeping the old one on? Why create another entire disk when he could have used it for special features? There is barely anything but a 'directors' commentary on one disk. Brutal and a waste of money.

I've got it. Stop buying release after release after release.... and just wait for an ultmate release. Period. Therefore you wouldn't ever waste money on any SW DVD.

Originally Posted by jrs
I've got it. Stop buying release after release after release.... and just wait for an ultmate release. Period. Therefore you wouldn't ever waste money on any SW DVD.
Honestly, I haven't bought any releases yet. I was waiting for one I just described but this latest one doesn't fullful me. If we do wait like you say, in these collections we get zero bonus features right, so that is a ripoff on it's own when we see the individual recent releases with juicy 2 disc special editions.

Originally Posted by jrs
Not quite sure about the comics. When u say comics though, are they reprints of the original Marvel SW comics or new ones for the set?
Reprints.

Personally, I don't consider any Star Wars DVD a waste of money. I dunno if I'll pick up the other two limited ones but, I had to at least have Empire Strikes Back.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
jrs, didn't know if you got an answer to your question about the comics, but they are re-releases of the original comics. Was bored at Walmart the other day so I was looking at them.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Are the original Star Wars the ones were Jabba the Hut is just a man?
No. Very few, if any, have seen the Jabba that you speak of.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Are the original Star Wars the ones were Jabba the Hut is just a man?
You would probably have to find a place that hasn't updated its Star Wars collection to see Jabba as a man again. Lucas got rid of that when the technology was there to make Jabba walk, well more crawl then walk.

Someone told me that he was a man in the originals, and i was sure i'd seen the originals and he was a slug. Cheers for the clear up.

Reprints.
Yep...I checked Wal-Mart and they were there. Star Wars has a mini-marvel comic#1 , Empire has has a mini version of the large paperback mag they released for the film and Revenge of the Jedi one has the mini copy of the mag they put out for the film. (Luckilly I have the full sized vesions all 3. )
There is one copy of SW #1 with the wrong price on it, and it's worth like alot of money. Man, I wish I owned that one.