Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

→ in
Tools    

No, SB, I agree with Phaux. The guy who played Typho also appeared on Kaminoa as a clone. At least they looked almost identical. Not saying that this has anything to do with the story just someone playing two roles. If you look in the Ep II visual dictionary they do look like the same guy. Also during the scene where Obi-Wan, Ko Sai and Taun We are observing the clones I swear when they panned up there was a structure that looked amazingly like a certain USS Voyager. Watch it, you'll see what I mean!

Did anyone else spot Ahmed Best (Jar Jar) in the night club scene? They panned to him three or four times. What was Damien from Home And Away doing dealing drugs on Coruscant? (One for the Australians and British i feel!)

Also those kids were just being taught in the academy. Yoda was their teacher, not their master. He is the most powerful Jedi there is so it would make sense that he would want to pass on his knowledge.

Did anyone else pick up on the Jedi's decreasing ability to use the force? This must be really significant in the next one.

I also thought it was really clever when the Imperial March was used on a couple of occasions to show the gradual move towards the Empire.

No, SB, I agree with Phaux.
I don't know why considering he is wrong.
Temuera Morrison, a New Zealander, played Jango Fett.
Jay Laga'aia, an Australian, played Typho. He did not play a clone.

Jay, by the way, also plays Ugluk, the cheif of the Urak-Hai in The Two Towers.

I agree regarding the use of the Impreial March.
There were a few times where it was integrated nicely into the score, just the chords, and it was a provider for a nice undertone. Then of course they whipped it out later in all it's glory and it was just like "Okay, here we go..."

Clearly Jango Fett was a different guy. He doesnt really come into my argument anyway.

Many of the clones did not really look like Temuera Morrison anyway. All i'm saying is there were many extras they used as clones, probably all of New Zealand/Maori (whatever) descent to give the same look. Many other actors in the film played two roles, Silas Carson and Antony Daniels come to mind. Im pretty sure they got Jay Laga'aia in with this crowd. Typho and this clone look too similar for it to be a coincidence. Why pay an extra when youve got people on set to do the same job? This doesnt appear on Imdb i know but check out the Visual Dictionary you'll see what I mean.

Again I stress, nothing to do with the story, just an actor appearing twice.

Maybe you're right, I don't know or care to argue, but it would seem very stupid on the part of Lucas to choose someone, like a semi-main character, to play such a significant clone role...

I remember they did say there is no sith. And Windu wanted to leave it at that by saying he would personally look into it. Why did he say he would look into it? At the end they do discuss the Sith because Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both fight Darth Maul, of course they would discuss it. But why didn't they believe Qui-Gon at when he came to him saying he was attacked.
Well, keep in mind they've been fooled this whole time, and are just finally realizing it. Obviously in Episode I they didn't know what was going on either.

The thing about never having more then one apprentice... what was Yoda doing with those kids in the room where they were doing the exercise with the sabers... hm?
Those weren't his apprentices. He was just giving a little instruction, dude.

WARNING: "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" spoilers below
I somewhat agree Mary...but I didn't have any problem filling in the gaps, mentally. I think she felt such overwhelming sympathy (or at least, that's what we're probably supposed to think) for Anakin that it didn't bother her much. Either that or those creatures really aren't considered to be people at ALL.

Originally posted by Yoda

Well, keep in mind they've been fooled this whole time, and are just finally realizing it. Obviously in Episode I they didn't know what was going on either.

I get it! Okay.

Those weren't his apprentices. He was just giving a little instruction, dude.
ah! I see now. Makes sense

One part that also disapointed me is when Anakins mother died. It was weak. She stayed alive the entire time so she could see her son one last time. I mean come on. Couldn't they have at least tried to escape? Although it was intense to see Anakin get pissed and start killing left and right.

I've created a monster... IN MY PANTS!

The problem wasn't hers though, and nor were any other crummy acting jobs, or -- for example -- badly delivered ten-year-old like lines.
Silver, I can see where a lot of the problem could come from Lucas, and there is no doubt that all of the Anakin/Padme scenes stank. But lines like,

WARNING: "AOTC" spoilers below
The whole scene with Anakin telling Padme about how Obi-Wan is keeping him from reaching his full potential:
"It's not fair."
"He's jealous."
"He's holding me back."
"I should be."
(Having trouble remembering exact lines--bear with me.)

There are ways to say lines like this without sounding prepubescent, but (either because of Lucas' direction or because of Christiansen's acting) in Episode II, they sound like a whiny little kid, and it detracts from the power of learning how frustrated Anakin is. His character suffers. He's not a flawed man--he's not even an adult yet, mentally.

Of course (devil's advocate stepping in), that could be part of Lucas' plan for Anakin's character...

I disagree. I thought Christensen was quite good whenever he had to be intense...I found him, for example, to be very believable when he was furious...and fairly believable when he was despondent. Sure, a few lines sucked...but I think the writing contributed to that. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by his performance.

I think it's far too easy to forget that people in real life talk different from people in most movies...sometimes, when a movie has characters that sound whiny, or immature, it's hailed as poor acting or writing...but that's not the case unless Lucas was going for something different. Maybe a whiny kid is what he wanted. Anakin is not what I would call immature...but he's not sufficiently mature for the massive power he carries. That's the impression I've got...and a few babyish/whiny sounding lines fit well with that message.

I think it's far too easy to forget that people in real life talk different from people in most movies...sometimes, when a movie has characters that sound whiny, or immature, it's hailed as poor acting or writing...but that's not the case unless Lucas was going for something different. Maybe a whiny kid is what he wanted. Anakin is not what I would call immature...but he's not sufficiently mature for the massive power he carries.
Yeah, good point--that's what I was getting at with the devil's advocate thing...

And I agree that Christiansen has the look. He used facial expressions pretty well throughout, especially in the angry and/or smoldering department. And he's not a bad actor--I've seen him in Life as a House, and he was pretty good in that movie, so I know he can act.

I don't know. Maybe it was his voice, maybe the delivery. It's definitely the lines. Maybe I need to see the movie again. Maybe it's the character. Maybe I'm retarded.

I need to see it again. That's all there is to it. I need to gather more sufficient evidence. In the interest of science, I will go to the theater again... And such a hardship that will be...

I don't no, a 19 year old whining about how its unfair. Sure, girls mature faster then boys, but at 19 I wouldn't be saying "Its Not Fair!"

Christ, the kid grew up as a slave, so for him to say its unfair what he's doing to him is B.S.

Anakin might have also been doing it to have Padme feel sorry for him? Don't no.

I can remember from my psychology class a year back where full grown adults can be sent back to there childish behavior. I forgot what the disorder is, but I know there is a name. I'll go through my old notes and let you know. I think this is what Anakin was going through. To much stress, to much repression and perhaps it got to him where he had to whine.

He is only a still just a teenager.

I dunno about that...he's talented, but frustrated. He's in love, but can't do anything about it. His mother has just died. A war is approaching. I think "It's not fair," although somewhat childish, is a practically sensible thing to say. I wouldn't blame someone in his position for acting that way under such high emotional stress.

Attack of the Clones has the most unsuccessful romance I've ever had the displeasure of seeing on the screen. It's the closest thing I've seen to a 'snuff' movie watching Haydn Christensen and Natalie Portman die up there while millions watch. Chemistry? Those two have never been in love and it shows; they don't know how to act it. It's closer to soap opera than space opera. I almost walked out after the roll in the hay. But I'm thankful I didn't because the final act is electric. C3PO returns and all is well in the universe. C3PO (and R2 to a lesser degree) is the heart of Star Wars. He provides the fun that makes it childish and innocent again. The moment when he loses his head is up there with the best Star Wars moments along with Yoda's fight which is a significant crowd-pleaser. The film would be a dud without C3PO and Yoda. And maybe McGregor who gives the film its traces of humanity. Unfortunately the other two droids don't offer even a glimpse.

Are you kiddin' me? I wasn't nuts about the chemistry, but I didn't feel it to be particularly lacking. I would take issue further, but I'd rather argue about C3PO, who I thought was awful. Far worse than Jar-Jar ever was. Quite frankly, the two both annoy the heck outta me. The only thing I liked about C3PO in the original flicks was the fact that he gave Han Solo something to constantly hate.

I mean, did you hear those God-awful jokes he made while being dragged along by R2? I was cringing.

Naturally, however, we'll find agreement on the subject of Yoda. He was TOO cool.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Attack of the Clones has the most unsuccessful romance I've ever had the displeasure of seeing on the screen. It's the closest thing I've seen to a 'snuff' movie watching Haydn Christensen and Natalie Portman die up there while millions watch. Chemistry? Those two have never been in love and it shows; they don't know how to act it. It's closer to soap opera than space opera. I almost walked out after the roll in the hay. But I'm thankful I didn't because the final act is electric. C3PO returns and all is well in the universe. C3PO (and R2 to a lesser degree) is the heart of Star Wars. He provides the fun that makes it childish and innocent again. The moment when he loses his head is up there with the best Star Wars moments along with Yoda's fight which is a significant crowd-pleaser. The film would be a dud without C3PO and Yoda. And maybe McGregor who gives the film its traces of humanity. Unfortunately the other two droids don't offer even a glimpse.
Praise Jesus! Someone agrees with me!

I found the writing to be poor, corny, and full of bad laughs. I liked watching Yoda kick ass, and I liked the battle scene with all the Jedis, and I liked the chase through the capital, and I liked those crazy worm things. That's about it.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The romance was dead before it even started, dialogue between Christensen and Portman was terrible.

Only person(s) that knew how to take a bad script and actually make use out of it was McGregor and Jackson, IMO.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

"Fabricated American"
I wasn't nuts about the chemistry, but I didn't feel it to be particularly lacking.
Not lacking? They seemed like two cold fish that were all of a sudden flopping around together. Not to mention that Anakin seems a little bi-polar. That would scare off most any girl.

...rather argue about C3PO, who I thought was awful. Far worse than Jar-Jar ever was.
I'm disapointed that Jar-Jar had ANY screen time in this movie, let alone any lines. But I thought that C3PO was great, much like himself from the originals. It was R2 that I was disapointed in. What was up with those booster rockets? If he's got booster rockets, why the hell didn't he use them in Return of the Jedi on the sand barge?!? You can't just throw something like booster rockets in!

...agreement on the subject of Yoda. He was TOO cool.
Total agreement here!

-GTB

Not lacking? They seemed like two cold fish that were all of a sudden flopping around together. Not to mention that Anakin seems a little bi-polar. That would scare off most any girl.
Well, like I said: I think we've been spoiled. It's easy to forget that most movies do NOT show us people as they really are...they always speak too precisely, for one. In real life, people don't always fall for each other that way. This isn't supposed to be a torrid romance...we all know it won't last.

Anyway, it didn't bother me.

I'm disapointed that Jar-Jar had ANY screen time in this movie, let alone any lines. But I thought that C3PO was great, much like himself from the originals. It was R2 that I was disapointed in. What was up with those booster rockets? If he's got booster rockets, why the hell didn't he use them in Return of the Jedi on the sand barge?!? You can't just throw something like booster rockets in!
C'mon, you couldn't have possibly liked those jokes. "I'm beside myself."?

As for the rockets: I dug them. And yes, you can throw them in...especially if you depict their destruction in Episode III.

Not to mention that Anakin seems a little bi-polar. That would scare off most any girl.
Totally!

On the next intergalactic Maury: Twenty-Something Girls Who Love Tormented Teenage Jedis Who Are Being Held Back By Their Mentors/Father Figures.