The, The, The....THE GRINCH!

Tools    

Hi Everyone,

Anyone else looking forward to "The Grinch" as much as I am?

I remember seeing the preview for the first time in the theatres...when that saw came around and finished cutting the circle in the floor, I let out a big grin. It's as visually stunning as a movie can get without computer graphics/special effects.

And can you think of anyone more perfect for the role than Jim Carrey? I can't!

Just watched the trailer on Grinched.com and I think I'm looking forward to seeing that movie on video or paytv round 2001 ...

:-)

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think the trailers look pretty terrific, except...Wasn't Jim Carrey that shade of green for another movie??

Aside from that minor detail, one thing that struck me from the trailer was that the grinch himself looks too...hairy. From the book and cartoon classic, I never pictured the grinch as being furry like that. Then again, I suppose he'd have to be furry or they'd have never let him get away with wearing no pants!

So far it looks like it pays decent homage to Dr. Seuss, which should be its main priority -- NOT messing with that great original. (Plus, not much beats Boris Karloff as narrator in the cartoon version.)

Yeah, unfortunatly they might be messing with the story a little...but I don't see them doing anything drastic. If they do, I'll be furious!

Furiness may not seem "right"...but hey, if you watch the cartoon you'll see that he does, in fact, have fur. It's just not very evident.

Re: the "Mask" reference: a critic who got to screen an early draft of this movie said it reminded him of that same flick far too much; changing hats and clothes in the mirror, and other such re-used gags.

Oh well, I'm still going to make a point to see it.

that movie looks so cool! i think i might be able to finally see one of jim carreys movies in the theatre instead of renting one of his movies and having my parents FF through all the bad parts! -Brian

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I've heard about the Grinch but haven't seen the trailer yet. I'll be sure to look it up on the site.

In other news ... did you know that Jim is going to be playing The Incredible Mr. Limpet? Yup, no one more perfect for the remake ...

Life without movies is like a tall glass of warm beer.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Oh my god, you're making me feel old. But I'm only 20!!!

K, I actually don't remember all the details myself ... I was really young when I saw it, probably on some movie classics day. I used to watch a lot of tv ... I'll do my best to describe it.

The Incredible Mr. Limpet was this movie about a kind of nerdy guy with glasses, a 1950s soft type who gets drawn into the cartoon world as a fish. He swims around with his glasses on and maybe even his tie, I can't remember, in this cartoon world and the movie crosses back and forth. If I recall, he had some underwater adventures, met a chick fish, I think. It was amusing and fun, a classic. I watch a lot of old movies ... it's one of my first fond film memories, along with Jerry Lewis in Cinderfellas ...

The Adventure Starts Here!
Gosh, Chris, how embarrassing!

Mr. Limpet was played by Don Knotts (who played Barney Fife on Mayberry RFD, since you're too young to remember space exploration or Ronald Reagan or the days before the Arizona Diamondbacks..........).

The cartoon parts of the story were done to really play up the caricature look of Don Knotts. If you think he looks skinny and geeky as Barney Fife, wellll, he looks downright cartoonish as Mr. Limpet.

For its time, it was a fun movie.

Now, go get your diaper changed, young man.

Ugh! Can you believe Sixpence did the remake of the Grinch song? It sucks!
Check it out on the Napster if you don't believe it. The Karlof version is the best song ever made!

I can't wait for this movie to be out. Looks to be a very fun and possibly disturbing movie. Hehe

It's almost out! A bit longer to wait. Looks quite good - I think Carrey has found another character that he basicaly "IS" I read, however, that the script calls for the story to be stretched out a bit, and as such a lot of jokes are implanted...and some re-hashed. Some "The Mask" jokes re-used, if I remember correctly.

I also read that Dr. Suess' widow disapproved of some of the jokes written into the script, so they had to remove them. Among them was a scene in which, for whatever reason, we see the inside of the Grinch's home, and on his mantle is "The Cat In the Hat", dead and stuffed - I think that would have been hillarious!

Didn't see it.
I'm ready for it too. It will nice to have a Carrey movie that is not nasty. That Irene movie didn't do to much for me.

I know that I am ready to see it ! Bought the cartoon copy DVD for the family, we are all set to go now....

Picture of the Grinch on Yahoo! Movies

Think that Jim Carrey will do a great job !
[Edited by TWTCommish on 11-16-2000]
View grocery products, discuss the industry